1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hunting Facts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jawhawker, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

For those of us that enjoy the outdoor persuits each fall, I thought the following might be helpful. Never know where the anti's will turn up.

Taxes paid on firearms, ammunition and archery sales which benefit every state have put 5.6 billion into the coffers for wildlife conservation. For this year 2009, a record $336 million was generated according to US Fish and Wildlife Service.

The average hunter spends $1600 dollars annually on their sport.

Teenage girls have become the fastest growing market in sport shooting.

According to recent research, 72 percent more women are hunting with firearms today than there were 5 years ago. Additionally, 50% more ladies are now target shooting.

More than 38 million Americans hunt approximately 228 million days annually.

Through the sales on licenses and excise tax on equipment, hunters and anglers pay for most wildlife conservation programs.

More Americans shoot and hunt than play golf.

More Americans are killed in accidents involving vending machines than guns.

Hunters and target shooters annually buy 1.1 billions shells.

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting those numbers Martin! Hunters gladly pay more so everyone can enjoy the great outdoors and all wildlife benefits as a result. Trapshooting probably continues as one of the safest single participant sports out there. We owe thanks to the sportsmen of old that taught us gun safety and laid down the rules, or else. Hap

3. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Here here! Good information; I especially like the increase in woman of all ages shooting today, something we are seeing in a small way in our local youth programs.

I was never taught to hunt as my family was against it, so I developed the same ideals too. That was until I met a man who showed me the importance hunting played in keeping species viable. He also instilled in me the love of the outdoors and the importance of wildlife conservation--and that most hunters have very strong integrity when harvesting animals. Even my 14 year-old vegetarian pacifist daughter appreciates the importance hunters play in the ecological cycle. And yes, she is a trapshooter!

As a historian I can tell you that hunting is America's oldest sporting tradition. Plus those critters are darn tasty!

4. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Pheasantmaster, and others - Many shooters frequently have conversations on gun control; when we do this, with anti gun folks, it is important to use statistics and facts that support our position. A calm presentation can sometimes gain the trust or respect of the 'anti', who sees that our position is supported by facts, not just emotion. We know that anti's typically are not knowldegable about gun laws, facts, hunting details and weapons use, misuse or accidents.

Accordingly, we have a mutual resonsibilty as (trap) shooters and sportspersons, to present our cases without bias. This defuses the opposition and occasionally, we can make some headway.

If we get loud or present misleading information, or offer just one statistic that is unsupported or misrepresented, we can be seen as a liar or B.S. gun-nut. We lose credibility. Our argument in support of gun rights collapses because we tried to offer lies, or misreprentations to sway the opposition. We share this responsibility; it is a mutual bond.

Accordingly, I would like to ask Pheasantmaster to support his claim that "more Americans are killed in accidents by vending machines than guns..." If factual , that is fine. I did some checking and could not find any statistics or data to support this claim.

If the claim is not factual or supported by credible data, please stop using that claim and that style. Stick with the facts. (like jack webb) I understand your intent and desire to make comparisons.

However, bad claims do us more harm than good. So do bad clams.

Thank you.

JS in PA

5. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Hunting is the oldest sport and the only true sport. All the others are only games. We are who we are as human beings because of hunting. I connect with hundreds of thousands of years of tradition and evolution when I hunt. I need that connection with the outdoors. Going around taking pictures does not fill that need any more than taking pictures of fish would fill the need for me to go fishing from time to time. I feel the most alive when I am in the outdoors hunting. Nonhunters have lost that connection to our past and to the outdoors and can never understand what I feel. When I combine that love of the outdoors with my love of hunting with dogs, another animal with thousands of years of evolution to hunt with and without us, it takes it to another level. Pure joy.

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Sourc of info,US Fish and Wildlife Service; 2001 National Survey of Fishing, Hunting and Wildlife Recreational.

National Shooting Sports Foundation

7. MR.ohiogal

MR.ohiogal TS Member

I think it is very important to get women into the shooting sports. They carry a very large club in the arena of political clout. My wife Deb,, ohiogal,
    only fired a firearm once before I met her.Of course she did it without proper instruction and it was not at all a pleasant experience for her. I wanted her to be able to protect herself and she grudgingly tried shooting. We started her off with .22 pistols and rifles, no recoil, and moved up. Now she is enthralled with shooting, she loves trap, enjoys bird hunting, and even goes deer hunting. I really enjoy going out in the field with her,, she sees it all as so new and exciting. It makes me realize what's really important in life, I again thank all of you here and at the shoots for encouraging her and giving her valuable instruction. I am very proud of her accomplishments,, she may never hit a hundred straight, but she is still a champion to me.

Thanks again,
    Jeff

p.s. yes she a definite taste for fine firearms,, she does have class, much to the enjoyment of local gunshops.

8. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

CalamitySJ - I have 2 vegetarian daughters, and neither of them have a dis-respect for my deer hunting.

And they both say they really really miss eating my jerky when I make it.

9. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

"Hunters Spend an average of $1600. a year on their sport"
    I WISH I could get away with spending JUST $1600. on my sport....trapshooting!!.......Uncle Sam, Pa.

10. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

When I go for a walk carrying a firearm, I walk more aware, I see more, I have the option of taking or not taking any of the game I see that is in season, I have an enjoyable time.

When I take a walk just to take a walk, I have a goal to reach, getting to the goal becomes work making the walk less enjoyable.

So some times I take a gun for a walk, just to walk and relax and enjoy, and some times it feels good to look a bunny and not shoot it, just look and know I could.

AL

I pay $54.00 a year just so I can have the privilege of being able to take the relaxing walk.

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I agree with and appreciate Jack Smith's comments. I consider them true and effective for the gun sports. My only regret is that the work of just one bozo, slob, careless hunter to counter the good thoughts and statistics is even more effective to the public. I was recently in public land looking for a place for me to take 2 grandsons for some learning and found place after place defiled with thousands of shot shell hulls, empty bottles, and paper bags, boxes, and targets along with shot up signs, bottles, and trees. Were any of them doable within our time constraints, I'd have converted our outing to cleaning up but they would have taken days in each case. At least the kids learned a lesson about shooting slobs!.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bob,and Jack S., both of you fine gentlemen are right on with your statements.

When we see the garbage left behind in our great outdoors it makes me wonder where these people get the idea it's ok to trash it up. We as hunters were always taught,(by the sportsmen of old) if your man enough to carry it in full, be man enough to carry it out empty!! Too bad we don't have more of those old guys around these days!!

My hunting buddy and I last fall, weight wise, carried out more trash left behind by inconsiderate others (total slobs) than we did quail! It's not just our great outdoors that slobs trash up either!! Look at the tons of garbage thrown out car windows that's picked up along our highways? Cities too look like garbage dumps in some places! So, it's not just us shooting sportsmen that need to maintain our actions and words, it seems society in general have become slobs without any pride in our great American lands! When caught red handed, hit them where it hurts most, in the wallets and privileges!!!! I'd like be the trash Czar for a couple years!!

Hap

13. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

tim99, be careful when you post government information, CDC, the last time I checked them they lumped in murders, suicides and criminal activity.

You take ALL those out of the collected data and firearm deaths in hunting and shooting sports goes down to single digits!

Accidents relating to hunting,(data) puts almost 13 other sports ahead of firearm related accidents. per 100,000 participate.

The one I laugh the most over is badmitten has more accidents then hunting.

I've taught Hunter Ed for 20 years now and I keep myself informed as much as possible.

Good luck defending OUR sport.

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I believe it was the NRA in one of their magazines a few years back that pointed out more kids are killed in high school sports like football than while hunting.

15. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I'm glad more women are hunting and shooting. My wife has been shooting trap and sporting clays with me the past several years, and she went bird hunting with me last year for the first time. It's cool to have her doing these things with me, but expenses have increased considerably. Worth it, though.

16. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

Thanks for the info Pheasantmaster,

And I for one completely understand about the vending machine stats. Last week one tried to steal a dollar from me, and just like that the fight was on. It was pretty nip-tuck there for a while but in the end persistence and tenacity won the day.

I was gonna post this story in the concealed carry thread but after reading the other guys stories, I decided against it.

It figures the CDC would try to lump murder in with gun accicedents, to further there cause in disarming the citizens.

I agree with Jack that these stats when properly presented as you have done here should be very helpful when presenting our case to those who disagree.

17. JTEA

JTEA Member

RE: earlier post

Just read recently where the Centers for Disease Control rank:

1. Car Accidents
    2. Poisonings
    3. Firearms

As the top three accidental forms of death.

==============

This is part of the "Prop machine". Not only do they lump in the street creeps and kids playing with guns on the streets - they also OMIT the tens of thousands KILLED by doctors every year. I believe the last figure I heard on the news was 70,000 / year. Perhaps they're not accidental if they're medical. I came close to being a statistic 12 years ago.

jt

18. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Martin, altho we have never met, I feel like we are brothers. Every post I have ever read that you have posted is right on, as is this one about hunting.

My buddy and good friend Gene Hapney also is included in this. I hunt a lot of birds with my bird dogs and also, like Gene, clean up after so many jerks that trash our outdoors. Keep up the good fight.

Hope to meet you some day.

Tom Strunk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hunting facts

trapshooting facts