1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hunting dog- Male or female?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mooshkat, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

I am buying a Lewiellin Setter, and need some opinions on gender. The dog will be inside the home with my spayed female cocker, all i have read says its not best to keep two females together, a male would be a better fit. My wife is not keen on a male in the house, thinks it we urinate on the corners of furniture and such. Also i am buying a really good bloodline, and the price is more, so now does a person get the dog fixed or breed it and recoup some money, i have always had my dogs fixed, but they were only meant to be house pets, and at a lot less money, now my new dog will be for hunting at alot more money. I have also heard male seem to be more bonding and eager to please, less moody than females, also i have two grandchildren, both about 1 years old, thats also something to consider. Thanks Dave

2. guido

guido Member

YES!

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

That setter breed is pretty laid back. I wouldn't worry about the kids. Setters tend to be horny suckers though, so be preparaed for a lot of chasing and humping with the cocker if you get a male. House breaking should not be a problem.

4. headsupdesign

headsupdesign TS Member

I have always had bitches, fewer problems. Males are always marking everything and can have agression issues. Bitches are not trying to be the alpha dog all the time, they let you be the pack leader. Also they tend to be physicallt smaller but have better stamina.

5. Setterman

And, unless you get them fixed, they always seem to come "in heat" during hunting season.

6. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

After raising German shorthairs for years-the female is the way to go. When buying a pup,try to get the most aggresive female of the litter. Make sure she will point,and will chase the wing,or whatever you are using to tease with. English setters can be soft,so you want an attentive pup. Start her young and make it fun-and short sessions.

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Dang Fred, Iam impressed :)

I'll give you this simple response which should address most of your concerns. Who's going to be the "pack leader", you or the dog?

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

99% of the time...If there is an idiot dog...it has an idiot owner!!!

Curt

P.S. Same with kids!!

9. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Spayed female is the only way to go for a bird dog.

10. Setterman

8 degrees here this morning, so may as well stay inside this morning! Fred is right, check out the Stud and bitch. Hopefully, hunt with them. The L-setter and R setter (Ryman) are very calm, laid back dogs. They still need watch'n as pups, cause they can get in trouble and test your patience like any other pup.

Sometimes these breeds are too slow for pheasant hunting, and won't cover ground fast enough for some hunter's likings. Older hunters love em. They are the gold standard as Grouse dogs for that reason. Slow, methodical, good trackers, but not usually great retreivers. The pressure of force breaking can sometimes crush the personality of a soft dog, so be prepared to deal with that. But man, are they great, dedicated companions.

Hopefully, your dog comes out of an agressive hunting line. It's easier to hack them back with an e-collar, than force them ahead.

11. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Female.

12. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

I've always had better luck with females - seem to mind better and when you let them out to hunt, they aren't as interested in smelling and marking everything. As far as laid back, I have an German Shorthair pup (female) and I think she was bred from Dingo's or something. Stuborn as hell, cocky, chews everything in sight, but she's already going to the door whining to go outside when nature calls. Very smart dog - first day I brought her home, at 6 weeks old, she knew how to get back to the door when I took her out, but WOW this thing has energy.

13. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Females come in heat twice a year, males are always in heat. Get the bitch, and spay her after the first heat.

14. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Dave,

I have both male and female in setters and pointers, my personal experience is a male with a setter they are more laid back and more ape to train and hunt essayer, tend to be a strong pleasing dog towards his master. As far as marking things in the house that is up to you and training. Please don't cut the dog he may turn out to be a great hunting dog and you might want a pup out of him in the fucture and if you cut him well that is out the door. Enjoy him,love him,hunt as much as you can and be safe.

thanks
    lee

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I like the males and I keep them intact just because they tend to get fat and lazy after you cut them. Breeding dogs is more involved than I care for but if you have a good bloodline the boys can get a date now and then. Generally this isn't a high paying gig.

I don't have the problem of them pissing in the house, they know what is mine. Its not really that hard to establish dominance over the dogs.

If you want a female go for it but just remember this is the origin of the word bitch. One of the guys I hunt with has only females and we don't have any problems with the dogs riding together or in the field. Clearly though, the bitch(s) are alpha on those trips.

16. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I've had Irish Setters for over 30 years (unfortunately/fortunately) no hunters, just family pets. The males tend to be a bit stubborn until they realize that you're more stubborn than they are. They also tend to roam more if they get out. The females I've had have been more calm, stay closer to home when they've escaped. My previous Setter that I had was sitting on the back porch with the gate WIDE open when I got home once. My males would have been LOOOOOONG gone in about 3 seconds.

Currently I have an English Setter and an Irish Setter, both females and they are two peas in a pod. I rue the day when I lose one of them. If didn't know better I would think they are sisters! My English is out of hunting blood (out of N. caroloina) and will point anything that flies. Unfortunately I've never had her in front of a real (game) bird.

Don't worry about the heat situation. My English is in heat right now and we make her wear small boxer shorts and no mess around the house/carpet. All my females (bitches that is...) get used to them quickly. At the end of the day throw them into the washer.

Get what you want and spend some quality training time with them and they will know you're the Alpha boss.

Enjoy your dog...there's nothing like having a pup around the house for unending laughter AND love.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

17. Pete3

Pete3 TS Member

Bottom line...it does not matter. They are all wonderful.
    Pick one that catches your eye..you are likely to fall in love with that pup,male or female.
    It is foolish to try to make hard and fast rules about traits of either sex.Every dog is different, even from the same litter...just like people are all different.
    I have hunted upland birds for 50 years , believing that every dog was great...I know that some were better than others, but loved them all.
    Never believe that there are no alpha females...this occurs frequently.
    One of our great English Setters "Maggie" wanted to fight any dog she saw... If she could not get to her target, she would take a chunk out of her much bigger and stronger brother "Jake".
    Just be patient with the one you pick and give that dog a warm and loving home....your upland seasons are about to become much more memorable.
    Pete Giddings- Canada

18. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I know a guy that raises Lewellans and the problem from a breeding point of view is they all have bad hips- and some of the quote "better bloodlines" have some of the worst. My friend has all of his Penn Hipped before he will breed to them and they have to be in the upper 50 percent but he is the only breeder that does that to my knowledge with that breed.

So I would say dont think about breeding - take that out of the equation entirely.

If you take that out of the equation and realized a spayed female is pretty easy to care for- then you get her spayed and you dont have to worry about that or about problems with hunting her during that time.

Females seem easier to train - dave duffy has gotten a lot of heat for saying that a spayed female is his preference.

I have had good male dogs and good female dogs- when the dog is young males tend to go urinate more often- probably it is a sign of things to come so the point is housebreaking is a little more difficult- just use the kennel breaking method though and you will be find

I have had several breeds and hunted over several more- but the real deal is the individual dog and your personality- if you are going to spend a lot of time- like each day- take the dog with you etc- a male often will work out well - if you spend less time with the dog- I think females might have an edge in the bird dog breeds anyway although it is the individual dog- I just kept a male as the pick of a litter I had- so that tells you I dont have a hard and fast rule

But forget about breeding- with that breed - btw- what were the hips of the parents rated at?

regards from Iowa

Gene

19. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

I've had them all and I personally think bitches r smarter and more biddable--I always had them spayed also. Having said that i've had a couple spectacular males,but for general companionship and to keep in the house I'd pick a female and have her spayed--spaying decreases the chance of a bitch developing breast cancer if done early enough also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are english pointers smarter than setters

are female english pointers smarter than males

better hunting dog pointer male female

does a male or female english setter hunt best

male or female hunting dog