1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

hunting boots

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jakearoo, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

There was a good thread on here not too long ago about hunting boots. I find I am in need of a new good pair. Suggestions or referral to the other thread would be appreciated. I would prefer boots with a crepe type sole. I find that lug soles get packed with mud and can be very heavy. Thanks, Jake

2. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

I have five pair of Danners I use for different situations. You might try their web page and see if they have anything you like. They are pricy but worth it as far as aI'm concerned.
    Dan

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Use the search facility with the word "danner". I had a pair of Red Wing Irish Setters with the crepe sole. They were good boots however the crepe sole was absolutely treacherous on snow and ice; but maybe that is not your concern.

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Danner

5. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

I recently bought the Danner 10" Sharptail Covey boots from Cabelas, these are the best I ever worn for upland hunting, the price with Cabelas was $179 and 0rvis retails the same boot for $219 dollars that´s $40 more.

Berettaman7

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Danners- I have had older ones- good boots -- the newer ones are a huge leap forward- somehow the foot support system uses the entire boot as a unit- you have to wear a pair to believe it

no break in needed

I have both the sharptail and the mountain gtx with 400 grams of insulation- both have the same foot bed

about 6 onces is the differene in weight

I also still have an onder pair of danner uplands with the air bobs on the sole- good boots- have had them 8 or 9 years

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. steele

steele TS Member

If that really is you, Gene, at least the hat I sent you will match with the outfit!!!!!

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The other thread referred often to Russell. They were highly reccommended. Hand made, full moc construction. I had a pair of Russell Birdshooters with the crepe sole and loved them.

They will keep a tracing of your feet on file, and will also rebuild your boots forever.

Use the search function here and you may find the thread.

HM

9. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I am going to South Dakota in two weeks for Phez. Does anyone know if the Cabelas in Mitchell has a good selection if Donners? I could just get them there. JAKE

10. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I also see there are lots and lots of Donner boots. Suggestions on the best ones? Jake

11. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Yes Richard. My concern is sometimes when I get footgear throught the mail it doesn't fit quite right. I usually try to buy footgear in person. Oh, damn. Decisions, decisions. Jake

12. g7777777

I didnt need any break in for either of my two new pairs of Danners this year

Just wear good socks

regards from Iowa

Gene

13. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

Whites Boots. Handmade in Spokane. Hideously expensive. Many different styles. Your kids will inherit them. Dealers located pretty much everywhere. Go to one to get fitted, then about a six week wait. I wore out a pair of cheap work boots twice a year. I wear a pair of the smoke jumpers daily. One rebuild and two re-soles in 15 years. You really can't beat them. On par with Russell. They take a bit of time to properly break in but, you'll never go back to Danner. The Whites people are fisherman and hunters. They really know how to build a boot. JMHO.

Shawn

14. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Fred, I just went to the Russell site and I am impressed. Unfortunately, that is not going to get me through this upcoming hunt. Hmm. Maybe I will limp through this one on some old boots and order the Russells. By the way, which model do you think is best and why if you don't mind. Jake

15. g7777777

Guys I have had Russles around - nice boot but old tech

I have a pair of Whites in my closet - actually two- great durability- but old Tech- not saying that is bad- but if your feet need more than old tech- or you arent in your 20s anymore- you might want to go hi tech

Danner though- is hands down the boot for comfort- and no break in- its like comparing a new pair of Nikes to an old pair of Converse all stars

Most object to Danners being made overseas-- get over it--

regards

Gene

16. MXSHOOTER

MXSHOOTER TS Member

Try a pair of ecco's, over the years I tried them all including Danner's, can't say any thing bad about the Danner's, very well made boot, but the ecco's have allways been more comfortable, and at the end of the day that is what really matters.

17. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Gene, How has the technology changed in boots. I understand that it has changed in virtually everything. But if you don't mind, I would sure appreciate a short primer in boot science. Thanks, Jake

18. flinter58

flinter58 TS Member

MXSHOOTER --- what model of ECCO"s do you have? - looked at their www site - they say they make a wide "toe box" and narrow heel area - sounds like my foot.....

19. g7777777

Well its the footbed and the boot together- like a trailer, it all acts as a unit- much more support and bounce to your step- much easier on the feet, knees, ankles and hips

- try a new Danner and you will know what I mean instantly

Its like a new Nike vs an old Converse

Gene

20. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Jake, check out www.sierratradingpost.com for hunting boots. Pretty good selection and their prices are outstanding. Sign up to get their emails and they frequently send a 20% coupon off their lowest price. Excellent customer service and if a return is needed, they pay shipping back to them AND refund your credit card the same day it's received. They are the best online company I have ever dealt with. BTW, they have a nice pair of Red Wings listed, but out of some sizes, for $75. hard to go wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.