1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hunters Who Take Suitcase Deer

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

What is a suitcase deer? That is a deer that you can fold the front legs with the back legs, tie them together as a handle and carry the deer like a suitcase. In other words its a deer that has not gotten to a year old.

Why do people shoot such small deer? In our group of hunters you didn't shoot small deer. If a group of deer came out in front of you, you would look them all over and decide if they are any older deer in them. If you do see older deer then you picked the biggest deer and took that one. That way you leave the younger ones for the future and take the older ones out.

2. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

A suitcase deer in a herd is easy to spot. One alone and it is so not obvious it is small. In that situation you have to look at their faces. Mature deer have a 'horse face', immature deer have a Bambi face. But not many know that, and you have to look at few to be able to learn the difference.

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I'm a "spot shooter" and damn proud. What's your point??

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I've taken enough deer to know that the big, old buck/doe ain't the best eating...

Truth be known a youngish doe should yield the best venison - bucks, even the young ones are designed to fight so they are going to be more muscular (i.e., less fat, more connective tissue) and we all know veal is better than beef.

I try to takle the deer that hurts the herd the least while giving me the best meat I can get - not always easy. This year that was a nice 4 point buck that was 135 dressed. Had to hunt hard to get that...

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

What HSLDS said. Same is true for bass. Yeah that 7lb bass fights like hell but is not real tasty. I'll take a stringer full of 12" long (Jack Salmon) bass to eat over a couple big trophy bass any day. Small young suitcase doe make the best eat'n ones.

6. aabradley82

aabradley82 TS Member

Easier to drag too.

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

In the summer time, I live on Bass sandwiches. A slab of Bass, a slice of tomato....good eats.

8. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I remember the last year my Pop was able to hunt, he was 84 years old.
    He was posting on the end of a corn field that ended into a CRP patch. We had 3 doe permits to fill yet so he was told if a big doe came out to shoot. We heard just one shot and when we got threw the corn, there was Pop standing a little ways into the CRP. We go over to him and look at the fawn that he had shot. One of the guys says "Lloyd, that's a pretty small doe."

Pop looks at him and says "I guess that the grass wasn't as tall as I thought it was."

9. 682LINY

682LINY Member

rick what is a CRP

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

CRP fields=conservation reserve program

It's basically where the State or Government pays you to NOT farm the ground.

11. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Years ago I shot a small doe(ok a fawn) My son who was an avid big buck hunter looked at it and said "get another one like this and you can have a billfold made". I had venison that year, he didn't.

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I shot a doe one time because we had EOB, Earn A Buck here in Wisconsin. This was for my bow tag. It was the best tasting deer I have ever eaten. It fit perfectly insde the front rack of my four wheeler. When I was done butchering, I had a half of grocery bag full of meat. Felt a little guilty shooting it, but that was my opportunity at the time. If I let it go and big boy came by, well you know. It was amazing how the size of the average buck grew in two years of this EOB law, but now the law was terminated because all the deer are gone. Now instead of seeing 10 deer a night sit, and seeing some monster racks, you do not even see a deer. If it is a buck, 1 1/2 year old, or maybe 2 1/2.

Chances of that yearling making it through winter are much worse than the older deer. Wisconsin overharvested deer starting back in 2007. Basically shooting every doe you seen. You got two free doe tags with every purchase of a deer tag, both gun and bow. Then had the option to purchase more for $3.00 each.

Now that the deer population is way down from the banner years, the wolves are taking the blame for no deer. They may be holding back the return of those numbers, but eventually those numbers will return. The wolf numbers will balance out, with the deer numbers. No, it can't be humans at fault, it has to be natures fault.

Most of the whinning came from the bait and shoot so called hunters, that never knew what it is like to walk miles without seeing a deer. Or hunting for days without seeing a deer. It is drive the four wheeler to the heated box stand, step on to the ladder from the four wheeler, climb up and start the heater, kick back in the recliner, and watch the corn pile until dinner time, slide the window open and shoot. To me, I would equate that as sitting up in the barn and shooting the cattle in the farm yard. That is my opinion. Jon

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I get a rash when I eat Doe meat.

We don't shoot small does. Too hard to tell if they're a button buck, and we don't want any small bucks shot.

Just kidding about eating doe meat, but to manage the herd we only shoot larger does, bucks with antlers beyond the ears, or bucks with scrwed up racks. Let'm grow so you can see their potential.

14. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Stl Flyn you have some mis-conceptions on the deer vs wolf. The point of a balance is not even close yet. If the wolf is left unchecked it may be just three [3] years away that there will not be much of a huntable population of whitetails north of hwy 8 [WI] and the entire UP of Michigan reguardless of what winter does. If you do not think so then you need to study what is the current case in North MN. There are miles and miles of unhuntable deer range, where deer numbers were huntable. The wolf numbers could EASILY double from here without putting anymore stress on surviving wolves. How do I know? I own and live on 600 acres right in the middle of the war zone. I get to see it first hand every day.

Cheers GS

15. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I try not to shoot them from the stand but when we drive my cousin's ground we shoot at any and all deer that come out. His desire is to kill as many deer as possible because of how much of his crops they eat. The little ones will only grow into big ones so down they go.

16. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

To the origional poster.

There is not much of a justification for someone to just walk into the woods and shoot a small deer. HOWEVER as a property manager I have used it as a tool several times to manage my local deer number better. IN the UP of Michigan winters are very tough here. In the last 7 years or so I have started harvesting under size and under weight deer. In the 17 years I have been here, I have taken a couple with spots. It is the moral thing to do!!! Even if this "suitcase" deer does not become predator fodder, it's ability to survive the winter is VERY VERY LOW. I think in the last one to two years have actually started to see an overall improvement in the size and health of the deer around my area.

GS

17. Stl Flyn

Midalake,

I would not say misconception, as much as opinion. I would say it is more of a difference of opinion as to what hunting is. As I had stated, the balance is not there yet. In my opinion the wolf population will not double from where it is because the food sources will not sustain that. They will never kill all of the deer. Mostly the sick and weak will be killed. Maybe that is what is helping with your statement of seeing a healthier deer herd.

I believe over-harvesting by hunters has created the population decrease, not the wolves. As I have stated earlier. They may be keeping the numbers from coming back as quickly, but I believe the deer population through herd management will come back, even with the wolves being as they are. Nature will balance itself out eventually. It will always be cyclical. Even with the DNR's help.

I am not saying that the wolves are not an issue, and may need management until the balance is restored. Once the healthy balance is restored, and human herd management is balanced with the natural balance, there will be a sufficient deer population for hunting. Granted, it will not be the nearly two million amount as prior to the wolves being introduced, only because the DNR will never allow it to get to those numbers again. Jon

18. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Depending on the severity of the winters many so called suitcases won't see spring. If it has spots on in December it veal to me.
    Joe

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't see a problem with someone filling their tag with a yearling. The odds of that young deer surviving to go on to breed are lower than the odds of a mature deer reproducing for another season.

Shooting the little deer isn't for me because I like the challege of getting the big bucks but when it comes to hunting for quality meat, the young animals do provide much better meat.

20. Stl Flyn

Look at it this way, if you shoot the bigger healthier doe, and let the yearlings starve to death, or are the main target mostly by predation in winter, what do you think will happen to the deer population? This is what happens, the yearlings can't reach as high for browsing as the larger, older deer, or are even chased away from reachable food. So they in turn become weakest first, which allows for an easy target by predators. The wolves know this, and will expend the least amount of energy to make a kill. You almost can tell that the larger, healthier deer can sense this also. They will expend just enough energy to get out of the way, and let nature take its place. Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.