1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hunters can you explain this

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by striper, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

The other morning we were setting up our blind in a cut corn field for a crow hunt the following morning. This is a field that I have shot lots of crows and they use it as a feeding area. That morning four flights of geese landed in the field next to our blind. We had seen them before in the field and set up our deks but those days we could not get them to come down. Mind you we have not fired a shot this was a scouting and set up day. Birds,crows and geese very active. Hundreds of crows in the trees like I have seen it before. I was expecting a great day of goose hunting because they wee landing in an area we had used before. We get out there at the crack of dawn, set up the spread and there were no birds flying anywhere! The weather was the same, Solar tables said it should be a great day, no crows and no geese. Can you gents give me a clue as to what caused the total lack of activity in an area that is widely used by crows and geese. They were not spooked because the day before we did not disturb the hunting area. My blind was 100 yards away in a different field. I can call the crows to my blind. But the day before lots of birds and then hardly any activity.

2. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Thats hunting.

3. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Did you eat baked beans the night before?

ha ha...Jerbear....<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/Gifs/?action=view&current=6shooter.gif" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> <a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/Gifs/?action=view&current=cid_000801c546d1ce34c0806401a8c0twm.gif" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

JerBear has a valid question to my way of thinking what else could drive away all those birds?

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

That’s why it is called hunting and not shooting.

The weather is seldom “the same” although one day may appear like the previous day. Fronts, even those hundreds of miles away, herald changes in barometric pressure which animals can sense.

Geese migrate and maybe they just wanted to resume their journey.

Some crows are so smart that they can recognize your license plate number.

I have caught lots of fish one day on a particular lure and technique and the next day, even though there is no perceptible change in the weather, nothing - it is like you are fishing in cement pond.

Better luck next time.

6. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Unless you post a sentry in the field, full time, from the time you left the field from scouting, until the time you returned the next day to hunt, you won't know who does what there.
    Could have been a lot of things happening while you were gone.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Geese are fickle.

8. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Striper, I can't explain it but I have been there. I've been a crow hunter for 40 years. I have seen them do some strange things. Sometimes you move a blind 200 yards and you murder them.

If you want to know more about crow hunting, and kill a LOT more, check out the crowbuster's site. Bob Aronsohn can give you a few tips that work. This pic is of him. I think this might have been the 485 day.

AJ100

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

One time in Saskatchewan we spent hours setting up for white geese and they were very predictable, thousands of white geese landed in the next field a half mile away from our perfect spread.

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

Sorry ... but that question does not have an answer.

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

It isn't just birds that do that. My son and I hunted deer on a small farm this winter that hadn't been hunted for deer in 20 or 30 years. We have hunted it for groundhogs and doves for several years and always saw a lot of deer sign. We put game cameras up and got good shots of at least eight different bucks, all of which were legal shooters and six of which were genuine wall-hangers. We saw their tracks, rubs and scrapes. The landowners see them all the time.

But we didn't. Not a hint of a hair. Then we had a light snowfall and the next morning, the snow in the same areas where the cameras had been set up was tracked down to mud. The scrapes were cleared off. More saplings were rubbed. And there were no human footprints in the snow. But alas, neither of us saw one deer in five days of hunting.

Frustrating, isn't it?

Ed

12. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

That is why it's called HUNTING and not shooting............Roger

13. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Hunted corn fields for Mallards, several days thousands of birds. Then the very next day not a duck in the sky. That was the end, from one day to the next. I suppose they went on South. Like the man said thats why it's called hunting and not shooting. Ben

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

They got wings ya know, they went to Burger King.

15. Jgulke

Jgulke TS Member

It's likely that someone or something disturbed the birds on the roost.

16. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I can sum it up with a four letter word (_uck!) BAD LUCK. Joe

17. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

All it takes is a few predators moving through the area to interrupt any ground feeder. Ive had coyotes and cats ruin stands before. Todd

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Simple. You were hunting when the birds weren't there.

19. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Ditto what Jerbear said!

20. Chip

Chip TS Member

Most state DNR's have clandestine programs to disturb and or scare game populations the night before a particular season opens. It's done to keep opening day kills to a more reasonable level.

They use black helicopters with no markings or lights.

:-D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.