1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hunter shot by his dog

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Coach, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

An old friend passed away when his retriever jumped into his boat right on to a LOADED shotgun and caused it to discharge. It was pointed in his general direction. This person KNEW better, but had a mental lapse.

Familiarity CAN cause safety lapses.

2. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I don't remember the guys name just that he was a Drs' son from Monticello Illinois. They found him dead at his car with the dog running around and dog hair in the trigger of his gun. Speculation was he leaned a loaded gun against the car and the hair in the dogs tail got hung up in it and caused the gun to go off. This happened about 30 years ago as I can remember. I went thru the hunter safety cvourse with my youngest about 15 years ago. The films we watched and stories that were told there will break your heart. Some of the saddest you will ever hear. WE just have to keep safety number one on the list. Preach it, practice it, teach it, accept nothing less. Dan

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Exactly why I volunteer to teach hunter education once a month, all year round.

We've got to do a better job of teaching the new hunters how to be safe and what it means to be responsible.

So many of these accidents are SO easily preventable if JUST ONE of those basic safety rules we all have been taught had been followed.

We like to preach "layers of safety." If you follow one of the safe gun handling rules, you're safer than if you followed none. If you follow two of the rules, you're safer than if you just followed one. And if you follow three safety rules, you're safer than if you just followed two.

It takes maybe 5 seconds to unload a gun. I've NEVER been attacked by a pheasant and needed a loaded gun while traveling in my vehicle from one field to the next.

I also think leaning your gun up against your vehicle is unsafe, especially if its loaded. And in general its a bad practice, especially if you want to keep your gun from being damaged by falling.

The other thing we like to mention in our classes is to ask the adults with the youngsters (who often attend with their kids or grandkids) remember to practice what they/we preach. Its one thing to tell youngsters to be safe. But if they see an adult mentor following the safety rules, its MUCH more likely they will commit that to memory and behave that way when they're on their own. The opposite, unfortunately, is also true.

Tim

4. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Earl4140:

I do not believe there has ever been a fatality from an accidental discharge etc. at any ATA event. I don't think there has ever been one at any organized trapshoot, but that is tough to prove.

There was one several years ago that got a lot of publicity, but it sounds like it was some guys shooting clay targets out back of the barn with a portable trap, not trapshooting.

5. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Ok, maybe I'm doing things the wrong way. But when I shoot a bird I keep my gun and the dog retrieves the bird. What was he thinking? It's a simple concept, I shoot, dog retrieves that way he can't shoot me. I think this would make a good Elmer Fudd cartoon.

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The problem was that his gun was loaded and on the ground

Worse- he laid it down without the safety on

Worse - one can deduce that he was hunting with others without his safety on

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Did anybody check to see if the dog had a license?

8. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I'm reminded of the man who came home to find his wife sobbing!

He asked what was wrong?

She said "I can't keep this from you any longer.......I have been having an affair with your best friend!!"

He retrieved a gun and shot his dog!!

Kinda backs into the thread subject, doesn't it?

Danny

9. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

The "Trap" fatality spoken about here was NOT a sanctioned shoot. It happened at a private ranch out west that had a trap range. The participants were drinking. I think what really happened is the shooter in question had a borrowed pre 64 model 12 . He advanced from 5 to 1 WITH A LIVE SHELL in the gun. AS he pasted behind post 2 he closed the gun with his finger ON the trigger( all old model 12 shooters know what that will do), shooting the shooter on post 2 in the back at point blank range. I think the tripped on the cord story was in order to try and get out of it. At any rate ,a complete disregard for gun safety, and pure stupidity led to the incident. As far as I know there has never been a "DOCUMENTED" case of a fatallity at a REGISTERED TRAP OR Skeet event. I have heard some "he said she said stories", but NO documented PROOF!

10. slide action

Fred It was good that you "corrected" the unsafe act. Many folks don't when it is needed.---- Earl, hopefully we won't be hearing of one in the near future. Some folks don't take it serious enough I'm afraid. We have ben fortunate(VERY fortunnate)!

11. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I remember when I was a young boy on a goose hunt at the Ballard County Game reserve that a dog caused a near fatality. Our guide had brought his dog along for the goose hunt. He had propped his shotgun against the wall inside of a sunken blind and was calling for geese. He stated his dog liked to stand on his hind legs and look out the front of the blind to also look for geese. Well, while he had his gun against the side of the blind and when the dog went from standing on two feet back down to four, his front paw went down against the trigger and caused the gun to go off. The gun fired and it went up right by our guides face and scared him to death. He thought he had been shot but he was lucky, no injury ( ? wonder how his hearing was ). I believe his trigger had the safety on the front of the trigger guard , allowing the dog to knock the safety off then " pull " the trigger. You have to be careful with guns. Two of my frieds have shot a leg off.

Charlie

12. slide action

Charlie are you from Ballard county?

13. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

Imagine what would happen IF we had an incident at a trap range! Hmmmm....what do we think would happen to release triggers, or maybe guns with no safeties? Any thoughts? Steve

14. DJM

DJM Member

In our group of pheasant hunters a member laid his loaded Rem 870 on the bed of his P/U truck. His dog was in the forward part of the bed of the truck. The dog lunged to the rear of the truck to jump off and stepped on the trigger area of the shotgun. Somehow he stepped on the safety button and pulled the trigger in one motion and the gun went off blasting a hole into the cab. Luckily no one was in the box or cab.

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Like I said, it takes_maybe_5 seconds to unload a gun.

Doing so renders them unusable by dogs to shoot holes in trucks and hunters.

Be safe.

16. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

What would happen at a trap range?

I saw a guy that let his lab run loose and he jumped up on the back of the shooter who was shooting at the moment-- nearly knocking him down

As he began to fall- he twisted to his right- so several people were exposed to line of fire

He remained in control and did not fire

The man was maybe 70 years old

The lab weighed maybe 100 pounds

I think the owner and his friend who had both previously been shooting were also drinking

That happened in Ohio-- I was just to the left and witnessed all of this happen- despite yelling the dog just kept coming

regards from Iowa

Gene

17. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Slide Action,
    I live in Lexington . My dad was a district commissioner for the Kentucky Dept. of Fish and Wildlife when I was a boy from the 9th district ( eastern KY). The commissioners were invited to a goose hunt as a reward for their work as unpaid stewards for F & W.

Charlie

18. slide action

Charlie, just wondered. I was raised in western KY in Crittenden County. My dad and brothers farmed 1200 acres there. My dad owned most of Hurricane Island at one time. I have hunted Ballard a few times. My Step Mother still lives in Bandana and my step sisters husbands hunt around there now. My Dad was an avid duck hunter until the late 70's.--- Hope the CATS have a good ball season!

19. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

KEEP THE GUN OPEN UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO SHOOT! My friends and I walk behind our dogs with our guns OPEN until the dogs go on point. Only when we step up to the dog do we close the actions. Then, as the birds flush we mount our guns and release the safeties as we do so.

Occasionally a bird flushes wild. There is usually enough time to close the action and get off a shot. If not, then you lost a bird. SO WHAT? Better than killing your dog or injuring a friend or yourself.

This stuff usually happens with autos or pumps.

Anyone have a better way of doing it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.