1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hunter injures hand when shotgun blows up

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Hunter injures hand when shotgun blows up

By KBCI Web Staff BOISE - An Idaho man severely injured his hand after the shotgun he was using blew up while hunting.

Idaho County Sheriff's officials say on Christmas Shawn Crea, 46, was bird hunting in Idaho County near Highway 7 and Bryant Road. When Crea fired the gun, officials say the shotgun exploded - severely injuring his left hand.

None of the Bellevue man's hunting companions were in the immediate vicinity, but his cries for help were heard by nearby hunters Andy Terhaar and Greg Adams who called 911 for assistance.

Terhaar transported Crea to the roadway to meet Syringa Hospital's ambulance, which transported him to St. Mary's hospital. Crea was then taken to Lewiston and then transferred to Spokane for further treatment.

Investigation into the cause of the explosion continues however, initial information indicates an improperly hand loaded shell may have been the cause.

http://www.2news.tv/news/local/80285962.html

-----

A couple photos of the shotgun posted with the article.

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

This photo was posted on Channel 2 here in Idaho, they said it was a handloaded shell

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've never seen an A5 come apart like that. I'll bet is sounded like a bomb going off.

ss

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Like this?

[​IMG]

Eddie,

I don't know if it was a Browning, Remington, or what. There were a lot of manufactures of these guns back in the day.

ss

5. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

That Pheasant looks like a Road Runner!

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Lotsa blowback...

That's gotta hurt!!

Curt

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

That is a Remington model 11. Same gun as the A5 but built during the time frame when Remington was using J. Browning patents from 1911 - 1946. Here is what that "roadrunner" looked like before the nice man wrecked him.

[​IMG]

--- Chip King ---

8. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

20 ga. shell stuck in the barrel???

9. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Nice gun Chip King. My Grandpa had an OLD one in the barn and I used to shoot slugs, buckshot, 2 3/4 and 3 inch,.... out of it at coyotes and various other targets in my younger days. To me at that age, a 12 ga. bullet was a 12 ga. bullet. Find'em and shoot'em. I probably should have been a little better supervised. That gun would take a lickin and keep shootin. Lucky I'm alive. Didn't have a Pheasant on it as I remember, just rust. I don't know what that guy shoved in it, but it must have had ALOT of powder in it.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Looks like that amount of damage could only be the result of powder detonation. Does anyone know whether he was using a double base ball powder in his reloads? HMB

11. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Along with Sqirrelkiller, My Father had one of the old 11's with the safety at the front of the trigger bow. I shot 3" mags by mistake through it and wondered why it didn't eject properly. Not the brightest bulb in the circuit. They were a very strong gun. Bob

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Could a wad or part of the previous shell (plastic) stuck in the barrel create enough pressure to cause that much damage? Just wondering.

13. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

What would be the result of 22 to 24 grains of Red Dot (instead of Unique) under 1 1/4 oz of shot be?

~Michael

14. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

The model 11 are outstanding guns and my fav-O-right gun of choice. It was not a over powered shell, it had a blockage in the barrel to do that.

thanks
    lee
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. JRW

JRW Member

Birddog 1964 Are those 3 different gauges 12, 16, and 20? I have a 12,16, and 20. After starting with a single shot 410 the model 11 in 12 ga. was my gun foe bird hunting. Jerry

16. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Jerry,

Yes a 12 top 20 middle and 16 bottom, the 16ga was my first gun over 30yrs ago and it is one heck of a upland bird gun.

thanks
    lee

17. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The A5s had forged receivers and I assume the Remington did also. VERY strong. My money says barrel obstruction.

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.