1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?Hummingbirds?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Ed Y, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Any of you folks feed the hummingbirds? We've been feeding them for several years now and I still can't seem to get them to eat out of my hand. I can get them within inches of my hand but they just won't lite. Any suggestions?

Ed Yanchok

2. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Paint your hand red maybe???

Guy B.

3. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Kinda like those Chipmunks that Tron wants to eat...

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I feed them here in Idaho. They fly up to my cat on the patio and just hang there looking at him. I think they are mostly gone now, not seen them for three days. We feed squirrels, ducks, geese, coons, birds and anything that has a heartbeat and is hungry. stray dogs, cats you name it,even a horse a few properties away. my wife has a soft heart for animals, I guess I do to

5. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

What great intertainment, I have 3 quart size feeders that we fill each day. These feeders have 14 holes in the ring and a continuous ring for them to lite on and feed. I have seen as many as 10 feeding on one feeder at a time and it constantly changes. So far we have six different species of the birds feeding.

The closest I get to them is in the evening when I fill and rehang the bottles they will lite on the feeder while I am holding it and at the same time get dive bombed by certain dominate males during this process. I always where saftey glasses when doing this, they get pretty agressive some times.

There will be over a 100 birds around diving setting fighting eating etc. Between good daylight and 9 am it is a war zone and the same thing between sunset and dusk. They are a hoot to watch. When I say fight I mean fight.

Good luck getting them to eat out of your hand.

ED Y: What do you have in your hand to feed them? Since liquid is their main diet.

6. Ed Y

We use the sugar water mixture but it's clear so I'm wondering if we'll have to get some of the red stuff again, or just a small red dish

Ed Yanchok

7. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

Collect their manure. It's the best fertizer for flowering plants. Just a quart or two will feed many plants for the whole season.

8. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

391 Shooter - what brand are your large feeders? I would like to buy a couple of them.

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

They are still around. Don't take the feeders down just yet. They fill their tanks before they leave.

10. Ed Y

It'll take me about ten years to collect 2 quarts.

Ed Yanchok

11. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Edy Y just add red food coloring to the sugar water and it will be red that is what I do I went to buy the real stuff at the dollar general store and they didn't have any so they suggested to add a cup of sugar to ok forgot how many ounces of water then add food coloring and it is cheaper and the same thing as the higher priced stuff.
    391 wow you have a bunch of them, ok usually I might have 3 at a time total but my neighbor hasn't really had any until the last month and now he has 32 between the 2 feeders and he said he has to fill them both up once a day ok they are the small feeders.
    He said the same as you when he is refilling them they will be on the feeder waiting to get a sip I think a few even lands on his hands while it is being hung up.

Ok im in west ky so im sure they will be heading south more in a short time.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    This little guy was outside our front window during a cold, heavy snowstorm. He could barely move. We took him in for a while and kept him warm and fed. Apparently some hummingbirds winter over. I have no clue what they find to eat in the winter.

13. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Ed, good luck on getting them to land. I'm 63 years young and saw my first hummingbird nest this year. One nested in the pine tree next to my front porch where the feeders are located. I've never had more than 3 or 4 at a time. I had feeders when I lived in San Jose, CA, Tampa, Fl and now back home in Blackshear, GA(South Georgia). There's just something about them that soothes the body and spirit. Good luck ED.

PS. It's good to see Foggy back in there. I have missed his threads and responses. Jackie B.

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

From what my wife has learned about feeding hummers(a lot of information at the above website)the red coloring in the liquid put in feeders is not necessary to attract them. Also this is from that website,

"Please, do not put honey, Jell-O, brown sugar, fruit, or red food coloring in your feeder! Honey ferments rapidly when diluted with water and can kill hummingbirds. The effects of red dye have not been scientifically tested, and it is not necessary to color the water to attract birds to your feeder. Further, there are unverified reports that red dye can cause tumors in hummingbirds; this may or may not be true, but why take the chance?"

Lots of good info on that site.

Bob Lawless

15. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

There is a hummingbird nest in a tree where I fish, on a creek, on private acreage. It looks to be made from mud with a small round hole on the side? When I stand under it to cast, it really upsets them, and I can hear their wings when they buzz me. Lots of fun to watch also.

Have also watched them feed and fight at the feeder at the house.Ray

16. bigunn

bigunn TS Member

I heat two cups of water in the microwave for two minutes and the one cup of sugar and about six drops of red food coloring. Ours stays year round . Someone said that once they start feeding they will stay or could even die of starvation. Heck my doxie thinks he is a bird dog , he don't like hummingbirds or doves that land on the telephone lines.

17. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

Bigunn , The way I feed them is 1 cup of water microed for 2 minutes and 1/4 cup of sugar and I have a lot of Hummers all summer and they are still here in San Antonio, tx I do not add color as the feeders are RED.

18. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've been feeding them for about 30 years in 3 different homes. I've always gone to sugar and water, perfectly clear, and been quite successful. I have also had them feeding on a freshly prepared feeder while trying to hang it up but never in my hand voluntarily. We have had to rescue a couple that tried to fly through the home (window) but they never even thanked us for our delicate handling. My recipe is 1/4 cup white sugar in 8 oz of very hot tap water, stirred until the sugar granules disappear, and into a feeder that takes that amount to the top. Hummers will feed on your flowers and bugs out in the world. The birds will certainly adopt a feeder and try to keep others away unless you put out 3 or more feeders far enough apart that he, she, it can't guard them all at once. The more birds you have the more likely they will tolerate your presence, even up close. I've opined they must look at us as lumbering elephants in slow motion considering how fast they think and move about.....Bob Dodd

19. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Unsingle,

I got my one quart feeders at Wal-Mart, they were $5.50 each and boy do they work great.They are square and made of plastic material, the bases come apart very easy for cleaning (2 parts) and the mouth to fill the clear containers are large so it is easy to clean and fill.

When I went to three of these, wow, what a differance in bird quantity.

When I had one glass feeder with 4 flower feeding spots I only got a few birds because the males are so damn dominate they kept the rest of the birds away. The male would sit in an oak tree across from the feeder and if any other bird tried to get to the feeder, bam, he was on them in a second. I am still amazed at how agressive they are. They will literally beat the shit out of each other if two males get into it.

My mixture is 3/4 cup sugar to one quart of hot tap water and one drop of red food color (mainly to see when they are getting low or out) they will come to clear just as well but hard to tell level of liquid.

20. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

One part sugar and 4 parts water heated on the stove until the sugar melts. No food coloring, my feeder has a red base.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.