1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hulls what kind and # of times used

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rip12, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

Just curious of what kinds of hulls are being used? Also how many times are you using them.
    I shoot a lot of AA's and I get roughly around 7-10 shot through them.

2. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

STS. At least 10 times

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I got about the same in the STS's before I stopped reloading about 12 months ago. It just does not make any sense where I'm at. The cost of components now. I also used the AA's as well. Both are top hull's. Take your pick. Break-em all. Jeff

4. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

STS - 10x

5. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Old Ribbed gold medals over 10 times then get tired looking at them..

fog

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

i've done a remington game load 18x before the crimp started to look funny (one petal folded over, probably still had 5-10 more before i'd start to question its intergity. Don't believe me,,,,try it,,,those things are unstoppable. Guarantee you'll get tired of looking @ them before you wear them out lOL

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Federal Papers about 2-3 times. You need to carefully inspect Paper hulls for splits in the brass rim, torn tube mouths, pin holes where the paper and brass meet and weak crimps. Once fired papers are the best but they are still good after a second or third firing. The more they are shot, the weaker is the crimp.

As Foghorn says, the older Federal ribbed Gold Medal hull can be reloaded almost forever or at least until the crimp ends split. They are a great hull and seem to go on forever. Be sure and use a 12S0, 12S3 or 12S4 wad (or equivalent) for 1, 11/8 and 11/4 oz loads, respectively.

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

if you ever run into the old win Mark V hi brass will be the only one you need have some that have been loaded over 50 times the 20ga is red that tells you how old they are

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

if you ever run into the old win Mark V hi brass will be the only one you need have some that have been loaded over 50 times the 20ga is red that tells you how old they are

10. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I load STS until they just get to the point where they are looking "shabby"; then load them once more and dump them. Gun Clubs load good too and you can find the hulls for nothing as many shooters shoot the new Gun Clubs and dump them. Many years ago I used to reload nothing but AA. I will not waste my time with the AA hulls anymore. Ed

11. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

New AAs. Haven't kept track of the number of loads, but I have some that have to have been loaded 7 or 8 times, and look like they can easily go several more.

Michael

12. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Win AA CF 10 times
    Win AA HS 5 times
    Rem GC 3 times
    STS 5 times
    N27 7 times
    Estate/Top Gun 1 time
    Federal Papers 2 times
    Fed Gold Medal 5 times

I like to dumpster dive so us the hulls accordingly. Richard

13. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I use them till the crimp does not hold the shot. In other words I will pick the shell up when I reload it and look at the center and if its big enough to let shot fall out I will shoot it that one time and drop it on the field. I say I get about 5 to 6 loads out of a hull.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do not try to stretch the use of my hulls. All of my handicap reloads are in once fired factory AA hulls. I will then load them 1 or 2 more times for singles and then load the hulls for doubles. My doubles empties end up on the ground. I shoot a lot of factory AA shells and I have to do something with the new empty hulls. If someone would like to by 1,000 to 20,000 once fired AA hulls for around 3 cents, drop by my home.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.