1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hulls Hanging in 410 tube. Help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I called myself cleaning the tubes I use in my 686. They had been working fine until I cleaned them. I shoot Win AA reloads and have not experienced any problem with the hull sticking in the Briley tubes. I used a regular brass cleaning brush on a electric drill dipped in Hoppe's barrel cleaner. It appears that the chamber is not as smooth anymore. I then took a 410 brush and wrapped xxxxx steel wool around it and hone the chamber but can still feel some hanging when I press in a empty hull. Any suggestions? Jackie B.

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

5 x steel wool isnt going to hone much, i use 4x to clean glass

Bill

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It could be the hulls that are the problem and not the tubes. Try some factory shells. If they work OK then resize the reloads a little bit more. To get a mirror finnish in the tube use some 400 wet and dry paper followed by some 600 wet and dry. HMB

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The Briley tubes are ALUMINUM. NEVER use any type of abrasive material to clean aluminum tubes. You should be able to remove any deposits with a cloth patch and bore solvent.

The chambers are stainless steel. They are softer than the steel in most barrels and they will scratch too. Try polishing the tubes with some very fine JB bors paste. You could use Simicrome polish which is designed to polish aluminum.

Jim Skeel

5. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I had the chambers of my 20 gauge Kolar tubes changed a year ago (cracked one). When they came back, reloads would stick in the chambers upon ejection.

I took a 20 ga mop, put it on the end of a short rod chucked into a drill, coated it with Semichrome and went to work. The Semichrome is too fine to worry about any serious honing, but it did polish the inside of the chambers nicely and my reloads no longer stick.

My only complaint is that this level of polishing should have been done by the factory.

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Thanks guys for your help. I will give it a try tomorrow but will pick up some Semichrome if I can find it. I don't have any bore paste at the store. I'm taking a new box of AA's with me to find out for sure. Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.