1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

hulls for reloading

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mikee, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikee

mikee TS Member

HELLO everyone. Ihave just joined your forum. Please be patient with me as I am just a humble shooter from GB.I shoot some clays but mostly game. I would be interested to know if any of you guys could recomend a few good game loads in one and a quarter 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 oz .Over here winchester and remington hulls are impossible to get so could any of you suggest what would be the best hull to use out of Nobel sport, RC, B&P,Hull Express or Mirage. Also recipies I could use in these hulls. It is no problem getting these hulls so I would only be reloading them once. If any of you want any of these hulls I will gladly post them to you for the postage.I hope some of you can assist.

Kindest regards

Mike.

2. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

We will need a few more details. Such as the powder, primer type, wad you will be using. We really don't have a clue as to what components you have available to you.

If you would like some hulls that you can reload a bunch say 10 to 15 times I can get you some Federal Gold Medal hulls but then we would have the same problem as to the loading of them. Don't know what you have to load with them with.

Let us have a list of what is available over there and the speed and pressures you are after. I am sure someone here has the information you need.

PS: You can try the web site of powder makers in GB as they usually have a list of loading information available.

Here are a couple but they are mainly US component oriented.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/reloading.htm

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/shotshel/index.php

Rock

Jim

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Mike, the B&P website has reloading data. The Gordon hull can be reloaded a couple times before the "system" falls out, but that won't be a problem for you. Any of the B&P Z series wads will work wonderfully. So will the Gualandi wads. I don't like the B&P T2 much, but if you are loading 24g you almost have to use it. Even so, I'd prefer the Gualandi Spark and Rex 24 for that load.

Click above for the B&P recharge data. They do a terrific job at telling you what they use in the factory for each load, and just how to duplicate it.

Have fun.

4. mikee

mikee TS Member

Guys, thanks a lot for your advice, I can buy Hodgdon powder and cci209 primers, what wads would yous advise?I dont mind sending to the states for wads if that is wat it takes. I have looked up the B&P SITE and will research about were Icould get their components, also I will try and track down some Gualandi wads.

I shoot with a Beretta Extrema 2 so recoil is not a problem for me. I would like a shell which would be effective at fairly long range, 45 to 50 yds. I will be loading number 5 lead shot.

Again thank you all for your help.

Mike.

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Mike, we still need to know about your potential hulls. If the hulls are tapered, one piece hulls, and you can purchase wads from the U.S., then you'll want wads for tapered hulls, id est Winchester, Remington, and clones of their wads from Claybuster, Down Range, or Blue and Green Dusters. If your hulls are of the type that are straight walled, no taper near the bottom, likely two piece, you'll want to buy Federal wads or their clones from Claybuster or Down Range designed for those straight wall hulls. You will find recipes in the powder manuals using tapered hulls and wads designed for straight wall hulls but it's a general belief you should stick to wads designed for the type of hull as described. Hodgdon powders are great and CCI primers should handle your needs. In our Sporting Clays venues, it's not unusual to deal with occasional 45 to 50 yard shots and we mostly shoot 1 1/8 oz loads of 7 1/2 size shot for long S.C. shots or Handicap Trap - many stick with only 1 oz. I see from your first post that your desires are heavier loads of shot and larger shot, typical hunting loads here so it will take more information than I have to advise more....breakemall... Bob Dodd

6. mikee

mikee TS Member

Maybe a lighter load of say one oz or oz and an eight with number 4 or 5 shot would be the way to go?.I'm not the best shot in the world but I can hold my own, sometimes, so maybe the lighter load would suffice.(shot a bit of OT in my younger days).Have just found another hull Victory, with an 8 star crimp.

mike.

7. mikee

mikee TS Member

Bob, thanks for the reply,I would think that all the hulls are straight walled because they are all two piece. I loaded 30 years ago and at that time we all used winchester compression hulls and remington. But that was then. Now these hulls (great ones at that) cant be got here.Maybe with the dollar/pound exchange rate being to our advantage someone in the states will look into the economics of shipping shells this direction again?.

Mike.

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Mike, methinks there just must be hulls and wads from Europe that are readily available for your needs in the UK. I'd see if you can't find a reliable advisor or knowledgeable sporting shop for better advise than our guessing from across the little sea. There have to be sources at the DTL clubs, Sporting Clays clubs, and even Bunker Trap if any nearby, eh?....Bob Dodd

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Mike, all the hulls you named are straight-walled hulls of the Riefenhauser type and the Gordon hull from B&P. Since you are interested in long range performance, there is no finer long range wad for straight-walled hulls than the Baschiere & Pellagri Z2M series. In 12b they come in 15, 18, 21 and 24mm heights. The 15 is for field loads of 1 1/4 and up. The 18 and the 21 are basically 1 1/8oz wads, but may be used for 1 1/4.1 1/8oz.

Some of the reasons I'm suggesting you stick with B&P components are: 1- everything fits well, which is not the case with many recipes. 2-all of the components are readily available. 3- it is a forgiving hull to reload for, although you do have to pay attention to basewad height when making a wad selection.

You simply cannot go wrong with the B&P Gordon hulls and B&P Z2M wads and Hodgdon powders. You can get the wads in England, or you can send to the Continent. If all else fails you can buy the entire range at Precision Reloading (http://precisionreloading.com/2004catalog.htm) here in the States, or a limited range at Ballistic Products (http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpicart/departments.asp?dept=85).

10. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Mikee,
    How much does lead cost over there?

Thanks,
    Forrest

11. mikee

mikee TS Member

gUYS, GREAT TALKING TO YOUS, I think I will stick with B&P hulls as they are very readly available and I have just seen that I can buy from Precision reloaders wads.Also I see that they will send limited loading data with the hulls, this should suite me.

Lead prices are on the up here as well, something in the region of £35, thats nearly $70.ripoff or wat!!!!!. I have never done it but HAVING READ THROUGH YOUR FORUM I am considering making my own shot if I could get my hands on a shotmaker.The Stewart maker appears to be a popular machine and there seems to be a lot of advice on its operation.........O well,just something elce to annoy me. will keep the good lady scoulding for a bit longer.

Do any of you guys know if it is possible to make larger sized shot with this machine? I may ring the man who makes them and ask him.

Thanks again guys for your advice,Ihave found it very useful. Will speak to yous later.

Mike.

12. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Mike, the limited data that Precision Relading will send you is a zeroxed sheet with mostly target loads on it. Make sure to tell them you are interested in hunting loads using B&P hulls. They will fax you the sheet beforehand if you ask nicely. That way you can decide if you like any of the recipes listed and order the right components.

BTW, all the B&P loading data Precision will give you is based on the red Competition 2000 series hulls. If you use a different series, you may have to compensate for base wad height. Also, if you are using the standard Z2M series wads, the largest amount of shot you can stuff into a 70mm hull is 42g using the Z2M15 (B&P calls it the PL15 on their loading data) in a Type 4 hull. All of the target series are Type 1. You will probably compress the spring under the basewad if you try for more than 36g in a Type 1 hull. The only thing that will do is reduce the recoil reducing benefits of the Gordon hull system.

Click on the link above for B&P's ballistics and loading data for their hunting line.

13. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Mike,E-mail Tom Roster: (keyboard is messed up on the at sign button)

troster@cdsnet.net

He has a lot of long range info.

GOOD LUCK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

b & p reloads