1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hulls At The Grand?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapshootin hippie, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

While sitting here loading shells, I got to wondering what happens to all the empty hulls that are shot at the Grand? Gotta be boxcars full of em. Just curious. What do ya think?

2. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

First year they went into the dumpsters. Last year many were hauled off by the workers.

3. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

At Vandalia they used to sell them out by the building where they stored targets. You bought them by the claybird box full. But then all hulls were new. Not sure what they do now.

4. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Don't people just keep their hulls that are reloadable, or do some let STS eject onto the ground?

5. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

You would be absolutely amazed at the amount of people that do not keep their hulls at the Grand. AA, STS, Nitro's, boxes & boxes of them. the first year they did throw them away. Now it helps to know somebody at the Grand as they don't sell them as they did at Vandalia. Colonel

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

These are from the 2004 Grand. Whats is interesting, they are a AA two piece hull with the old headstamp. No HS stamp on them. Wayne
    [​IMG]

7. TC

TC TS Member

12 gauge AA's did not have a "HS" head stamp untill a couple years ago.

8. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

I worked at Vandalia as a trap machine mechanic , one year I was in need of some hulls , so I asked the matinence superviser to put me back a few boxes of hulls , well he did , a few boxes everyday of the grand . The last day I asked him for the hulls and he pointed over to the corner and there was 25 target boxes full , needless to say I had plenty of hulls and it ttok me all winter to go through them , it was alot of hulls !!!!

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

wayneo,

I got some of those give to me a while back. I think it was 5000 of the reds and greys alike. I just reload them once and to the ground they go. it's nice to have 1 and out hulls to load.

ss

10. olddrum1

olddrum1 TS Member

A number of years ago I stopped at an area Distributor that I did business with. He mentoned that his staff was getting tired of sorting hulls. During the course of the discussion he said that he had acquired all of these hulls from the Grand that year. He said I could fill my truck with hulls for $50 in that he had a truck load of primers coming in and needed the space. I backed up to the building and when he opened the doors, I had never seen that many hulls in one place. If I remember correctly it was White Flyer boxes floor to ceiling. I just keep pouring them into the bed of my truck until it was even with the lip of the bed.

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

When I went to Ohio Grand they sold the boxes for $5.00. I was after STS hulls. In all the boxes that I got it was not worth it. The best way to get hulls is to have one friend who wants AA, another who wants Fed, another who wants another type of hull. In other words you pick out what you want and save the other hulls for your friend and they do the same for you and the others. Everyone gets what they want.

12. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

After the CoC event at this years Grand, my son and I went and shot a round of sportys. (I whooped his butt!)

Anyway, coming back towards the trap line we went past the "Cowboy Shooting" area and there were a half a dozen people with several pick-ups sorting hulls by one of the ranges. Hundreds of White Flyer boxes stacked-up as they were sorting, you could have filled a semi with them.

Where they went.... I have no clue, I guess I should have stopped and negotiated a couple boxes of STS & Nitros??

SW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.