1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hull stuck in barrel -hull not stuck in barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rando, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rando

rando TS Member

I was shooting my 525 Browning 28 ga.and a Nitro 27that had been reloaded for 1st. time separated at the the brass and lodged approx. 6" into the barrel. The shell was not hot and I had already shoot 2 box of these reloads. Have tried a variety of ways to remove it with no success. Tried to push out with a dowel, tried to hook with a flat piece of thin metal, tried to push out with a 10ga. brush on a drill all to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks Randy

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I've used a cleaning rod with the tip off. Caught an edge and tapped it out.

3. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Acetone will soften the hull making removal easier.

BE SURE not to get any on the stock, and re-oil the barrel and receiver fully after use.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I made a hook out of a coat hanger, just cut it off and bent back the end less than a quarter inch, pointing back at the handle end which I made into a loop. You can grind it so it slips under the hull.

Carried it in my pouch when I shot papers. Used it a lot.

HM

5. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Kr-oil or PB Blaster - spray it several time and let it soak then tap it loose with a wooden dowel. Won't take much.

Kip

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Put a dime in the end of the barrel. It will lay flat on top of the crimp. Take the dowel and give it a good punch, it will come out.

7. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

A Nitro 27 28 ga?

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Rick I was thinking that too. I wanna see a dime go down a 28 gauge barrel????

Wayne

9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Try putting a 28 gauge wad into the barrel (same direction as if you were shooting it) - you might want to cut the top portion off so only the skirt that sits over the powder remains - this should give good contact with the sides of the hull.

Then tap this out with the wooden dowel from the muzzle.

10. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Use a hanger and bend like was mentioned in an earlier post but take a small torch and heat it. It takes little time to melt the hull in to. The easiest way i have found. Plus it won't hurt the barrel.

11. bigben

bigben Active Member

Have had a lot of success with this method, from the end, spray a liberal amount of lube, [rem oil, wd-40 etc, it;s all good! take a new wad, a wood dowel, push the wad from the end to ward the breech, it should pop right out, no problem! incinerate em!

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Oiling the bore so the fouling is soft and the hull is slick will help. Take the choke out of your barrel, and use a 28 wad with a brass cleaning rod will get the hull out without marring the bore.

13. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

I have had good success getting a few hulls out - using a very thin, long, sharp fishing fillet knife. The thin blade can wedge between the barrel and hull ... lift it a bit ... and then start cutting the hull. Work it out in less than a minute.

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Perazzi Nut--How is a barrel snake going to get a stuck hull out of a barrel?

15. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Who the hell shoots 28ga. in trap? Sorry, I obviously did not see that. The 10ga. brush thing threw me off. It does however work very nicely for 12 ga. The wad technique would be about the same difference.

16. THE POSTMAN

THE POSTMAN TS Member

Friend had same problem 2 weeks ago. Used same method as big ben suggested,with the exception of, placed a socket slightly smaller than the wad inside the wad to keep the wad from collapsing andananthull.

17. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Your story is troubling. I clean and inspect my hulls before reloading, using STS exclusively. Today, I found one where the hull had separated about half way from the brass, and there was an expanded bulge in the brass where it, unsupported, had pushed into the cutout for the ejector. Upon further inspection with a fiber optic bore light there is a cavity behind the plastic hull and the inside base of the brass leaving a gap where the primer hole is. It appears that powder could get behind the hull and the brass, although I won't speculate what effect this might have, if the hull had been reloaded and shot. Hopefully this is not the beginning of a trend with STS hulls. This hull has been reloaded 4 times and, from new, only shot in my gun and reloaded on my PW 800+, with 19.Gr of Green dot, Rem primers, Fig 8 wads/ 1 1/8oz of shot. I'm wondering if Remington would be interested in seeing this hull, or even if they'd care.

best...mike

18. earlybird

earlybird TS Member

Another vote for Kroil. EXCELLENT penetrant, will "crawl, or creep" between hull and barrel. I use it straight for cleaning shotgun bores, and mixed 2/3 Kroil to 1/3 Butch's Bore Shine on rifle barrels.

19. THE POSTMAN

THE POSTMAN TS Member

Friend had same problem approx.2 weeks ago. Used same procedure as big ben with the following exception: Took a socket slighly smaller than the wad and place socket inside the wad with the square hole that allows socket to be attached to the rachet wrench facing downward. This will keep the wad from collapsing and passing thru the hull.

Wilbur Poston

20. rando

rando TS Member

Well it looks like I have a few more ways to go about clearing my barrel tomorrow, thanks everyone for the input, will advise what worked for my situation.
    Thanks again ,Randy----
    -- I used what I had on hand and was suggested, which was sprayed the barrel with wd-40 both ends,took out the choke tube, put a down range wad in end of barrel and tapped out stuck shell hull with wooden dowel and hammer. It came out fairly easy about a dozen taps. Thanks again for all the suggestions - Randy Lohr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hull stuck in barrel