1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hull seperated - Be careful.....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grnberetcj, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Today I had two (2) Federal Gold medal smooth hulls separate from the brass. Both hulls were "Once Fired" reloads.

The plastic from the first shell that separated cleared the barrel but the second one became stuck in the chamber..

So now I have to dismantle approx. 500 reloads plus trash another 2500 hulls....

Just thought I'd add this thread as a caution to anyone reloading the GM smooth hulls.

Curt - Delaware

2. blazer1

blazer1 TS Member

FYI, contact Federal concerning this, last year in March their was a recall on the hulls. I sent back 5,000 empties to federal and was reinbursed.

3. IMR 7625

IMR 7625 Member

ONE OF THEIR SELLING POINTS OF NEW SHELLS THAT THEY COULD BE RELOADED

15 TIMES THEY HAD A DISPLAY AT THE GRAND

4. Quick 1

Quick 1 Active Member

It makes no difference if its the smooth or the new ribbed, they still sometimes separate. I had some of the new style separate on the first reloading. I posted pictures on this site earlier of some of these hulls. I have not had any more problem with the smooth or the ribbed since, but when I have used up whats loaded, thats the end of reloading Federal. I check each hull coming out of the gun before loading another. I showed the damaged hull to an All American I know, and his comment was- "What's New!" " Cheap plastic and they have known about it for years." Please use caution if your shooting this junk.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

How about if you put a little liquid crazy glue on the plastic just above the brass so it would run down between the plastic and brass, do you think that would glue the plastic to the brass? HMB

Just had another idea, how about taking a pointed punch and put a couple dimples in the brass just above the rim. That should hold the plastic and brass together. That might save you from having to take all those shells apart. HMB

6. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

We had something similar happen last week at a Boy Scout sporting clays fundraiser. A New Remington "100 pack" 3 x 1 1/8 x 7 1/2 shell separated the brass from the plastic tube. It was a second shot fired in a Browning B-2000 automatic. We never found the brass head but the tube fell out by itself. It can happen to more brands than we might like to think. Ron

7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I had posted this a year ago. I had new shells and once reloaded come apart and stick in the barrel. Had a hell of a time getting it out also. I ended up burning 5,000 once fired hulls and going to Remington.

HMB.... the shell would seperate like you took a knife and cut it in two right at the brass.

8. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I had a Win AA split last year. Left the brass and about an inch of plastic in the gun and sent the rest downrange. Thankfully I didn't require a change in pants, but it was close. I think any brand of shell is subject to failure.

HJH

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Curt how many did you fire before you had one fail? Curious minds want to know. how do I know if I have bad ones? If they are smooth they are bad? Jeff

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

SuperXJeff--For the most part the smoothies are the weaker hulls. Thats why Federal went back to the stronger ribbed hulls again. I don't load Federal hulls but i do sell them from time to time. I could tell the smooth hulls were either weaker or thinner plastic than their old ribbed ones. If it was me, i'd abandon the smooth hulls and scavenge the goodies from them and put them in a safer hull.

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Jeff..

I have used and fired approx. 2000 of the smooth hulled GM's without a problem before this occurred yesterday.

I have no idea as to which batch or flat the hulls came from originally as I stored the once fired GM's in a box in my reloading room. All of the shells had been purchased within the last 2 years.

Really glad that I keep my Top Guns and Estate hulls....

Curt

12. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Not too long ago I posted that we had a Rem hull do the same thing at our club.
    Are we to stop reloading?I have used and seen many GMs used at the two clubs that I belong to and still to see one that came apart---If you use them in a breakopen gun you will know if they separate---It will probably be one in many.
    Wish you lived close by---I'd take them all----George@SJB---

EDIT:Why would you cut open all those shells? I'd use them for practice.Take along a 36" dowel,a dime and a wad---That is a 5 min fix---I'd rather take my chances with those GMs rather than to use steel based Topguns or Estates.
    If you live on the east coast give me a pm---I'll try to make arrangements to have them shipped to me and I'll pay shipping cost---Thanks---George@SJB---

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You guys are too sensitive. Back in the 60's we often reloaded Federal Paper or Remington Sureshot cases until total destruction!!

14. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Well, Here is the thing guys. I have a bunch of these and I use them for hunting loads as they are a deeper case and have more volume for a havy charge with buffer. When you are shooting at birds you can't have a shell blow off in an autoloader.

sometimes these cases shoot all the way out the gun and other times the plastic gets stuck in the barrel. I have seen this happen many times with my 10ga and the older style Winchester cases. I shot them in an o/u 10ga magnum and they would always get stuck in the barrel. 10ga emptys being rare as hens teeth and me being poor I made do with them. Second shot only and only 1 reload ETC ETC. Now I am no longer in that position and well I am frugal some things are just not worth the trouble.

If I wa sreloading these for trap in a break open gun, I would use them and just load them a few times rather then tear them apart but to each his own.

I had one of these smooth hulls blow off on the first reload and thought that was strange but I didn;t let it bother me as I was shooting games with a single shot gun.

The whole thing is more trouble then it's worth in an autoloader / pump since you can not tell if the casing is stuck in the barrel without taking the barrel off, unless you have really GOOD light to se down the barrel.

When they stick in the barrel they can be very hard to see as they are usally snug against the wall of the barrel. Little chunks etc are not hanging down and to fire another shell will get you a buldged barrel if you are lucky and maybe worse.

Do what you wish boys. If i had a bunch and Federal would pay the freight, I would swap them in. Jeff

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I certainly wouldn't use a suspect hull in an autoloader where a quick follow-up shot is the norm. I prefer to see down my cleared barrels when reloading. To each his own though and i guess any hull could do this at any time.

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Southblue...

Sent you a PM, you can have all the GM's. Approx. 2500/3000 pc's.

I'll take them to Wilmington Trap tomorrow if you plan to come across the Delaware.

Curt

17. Quick 1

Quick 1 Active Member

Here are some pictures of the new improved ribbed hulls!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Top Gun plastic with GM brass....whoopee!

Curt

19. DanLee

DanLee Member

I had a number of separations on the smooth Gold Medals and finally traced it to the reloader. I bought a MEC 9000 at an estate sale and it turned out that the previous (late) owner had cranked down the collet sizer to the point where the brass was actually cutting into the side of the hull. I backed off the collet and haven't had a repetition of the problem. I do prefer the old-style ribbed hulls, mainly because they hold their crimps better.

Dan

20. leadvail

leadvail Member

Dan Lee, Very interesting, as I have reloaded 2 thousand GM smoothies as my Handicap Loads with a stiff load of Clays at 1250 fps and was perplexed as to why I haven't had a (common) seperation after a half a dozen reloads. I did have a gun club hull as my only occurence do it once.

I am sure that with all the smoke here there has to be a fire, and folks have had seperations.

But,unfortunality sometimes, I am one of those guys that wait untill it happens to me before I change sometimes. I have seen folks jump on a band wagon and grab a pitchfork and a rope just to be heard and make a spectacle of themselves too many times in life even though they had no such issues. Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

when do i stop reloading hull