1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hull separation

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I was shooting yesterday & had the plastic of the hull separate from the metal end. The components were the following: Remington Gun Club (once fired), Chedite primers, Down Range TGT12-clone & Claydot. The brass was launched when I opened the gun. The one piece plastic hull remained in the chamber. Any ideas what could have caused the separation. By the way the loader is a Mec 650 & I deprime & rsize on an old sizemaster. I loade Gun Clubs once & toss.

Phil Berkowitz

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Phil- That is not real uncommon when using hulls that have been reloaded many times. The problem was that the plastic sleeve was not firmly crimped into the steel head. With paper hulls, they can actually burn through just above the head.

My opinion, and many others will disagree, is that the discount hulls are not well designed for reloading. The factory must figure out a way to make these shells cheaper. That can only be done with the hull and/or the components.

Pat Ireland

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Garbage in--garbage out.

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

Defective hull.

I have never had a GC do that. Many GM's though.

Don Verna

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have had AA's and other good hulls do it too.

The old style sizing pushes down on the rim of the case, instead of squeezing like the collet style.

This could place stress in that area.

I have not had that problem since I went to Grabber/9000 loaders.

HM

6. KeepWoodOnWood

KeepWoodOnWood Member

I've had brand new factory 20 gauge Estates do this. Examining the remains, it looks just like a pipe cutter was used just above the brass. You could still see some of the hull in the brass base. I just assumed it had something to do with the gun not liking Estates. It never did it with Rio's or GC's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.