1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hull Quality/ 28 Ga.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Woods, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Preference in 28 Ga. Hulls, Winchester AA HD or Remington STS.

Realize , room for discussion.

Joe Woods/Ontario

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Joe, Both will serve you well!!! That said the Win. AA HS hulls might get a couple more loads out of them, maybe?? Which hulls are easier for you to get at the best price??? Wads are different as well. Which ones can you get. Now its up to you. Do shoot this fine ga. though it is by far my favorite gauage to shoot. Breaks targets like a 12 ga. and kicks like a 410 w/ the best patterns from any gauge I have ever shot with. Have fun and Break-em all. JEff

3. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

Win HS, THE premium 28 hull.

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

When the Winchester HS came out I went out and bought several flats of the old style AA's thinking the new hull would not be as good. I have been loading the old style for several years now and I am about to run out. So I loaded a box of the HS hulls. BIG MISTAKE! They are so much better than the old style hulls that I want to dump my old hulls and switch to the HS NOW! They even go through my P/W 900 with less effort!

I do not load Remington STSs in 28 gauge but in the .410 they only load about half the number of reloads compared to AAs.

Jim Skeel

5. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

I do OK with STS 28 & 410

ernie

6. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I load most every 28 ga hull made. All will load well, but some are easier to assemble good crimp loads than others. AAHS loads the most times.

7. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I like the Rem STS hull. Been loading them for years.

I tried loading some of the HS hulls just did not like the final product as much as the old style AAs so I converted over to the STS hull.

Not shooting as much as I once did so the hulls are lasting longer.

Ronbo

8. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

My experience is that STS hulls only last one or two reloads then the opening starts to split and become brittle causing wad seating problems during the reload process. I do not like them for reloading. Winchester HS hulls are slightly better. The Win AA 28ga hulls last the longest - 5+ reloads. I have reloaded thousands of each over the past 6 or 7 years on MEC 9000G.

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

It could have a lot to do with the age of the hulls but the Remington hulls tend to crack and form half closed making them harder to load than the AA hull. I usually get 3 or maybe 4 reloads with the Remington's and six or so with the AAHS hulls. Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.