1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hull Picker

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shootsome, Oct 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shootsome

shootsome Member

Is there something I can buy or make to pick up hulls after shooting my automatic? I tried a pointer with a magnet on the end but it didn't work very well. After picking up hulls yesterday my hip is killing me. Happens everytime. This getting old isn't for wimps!

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Try this:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W8rzT2CnLlA?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W8rzT2CnLlA?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

They use one of these at the WSRC/Sparta to pick up hulls on the fields. It works pretty darn good.

3. FlyerTom

FlyerTom Member

There's a fellow in Texas that makes one. Check the website above.

[​IMG]

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Most hardware stores carry one that has a four foot handle and is flat on the end. It was designed to pick up nails but works great for the steel hulled shells. Cost is around $20.00. Jackie B.

5. 7771

7771 Active Member

Ive been to a few clubs that uses these machines you push with a big green drum in the front that was originally used for golf balls it works really good.

6. sts1100

sts1100 Member

I have seen this used at some NC clubs, limited capacity but it picks up all hulls,just spread the wires to empty.

7. thom

thom TS Member

Try this one...have seen it used and it works effortlessly. Cheap enough too !

http://www.harborfreight.com/long-reach-magnetic-pickup-tool-with-quick-release-93950.html

~~~~~~~~<'{{><

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Thom, how many hulls will that thing pick up before it's "full". Looks promising. Thanks for any reply.

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

shootsome:

Check your private messages.

sissy

10. skeet2day

skeet2day Active Member

We use Pecan pickers at our club...simple...cheap...and work pretty darn good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FNS7SY/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000UC0X64&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1Y429XSE3W25XB1105A3

11. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

Has anyone ever tried a lawn sweeper?

Ron

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

listen to shooting Jack

13. thom

thom TS Member

Saw it used by someone where the hulls were in the grass, and I think it picked up 5 or 6 or so at a time. Just picked up one for myself today, and in trying it on the carpet in the house, the limitation was that the base stuck to the bottom of it and the plastic of the hull hung below, so when you went to pick up another, the 2.75 inches of hull made it difficult to get close enough to pick more than 2 or 3. The ADVANTAGE of it though is that it has a release that allows the hull to drop off when you pull up on the metal 'ring' and drop it in a bucket or bag. I think it would actually work better on uneven ground. It's sure easier than bending down to pick them up one at a time, and at less than $ 9.00, you may think it worth a try.
    I'll know more within a week, but the 8" of snow that's to come tomorrow will make a field test difficult !

~~~~~<'{{><

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.