1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hull pick-up system / Thoughts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gamba Man, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamba Man

Gamba Man Active Member

Has anyone tried this ? Thoughts ?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W8rzT2CnLlA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Tim Earney

Tim Earney Member

They are relatively effective if the grass is mowed short. Consider this, how about all shooters using an empty bag and not littering? Virtually every club has to spend valuable resources picking up this litter. One club that I shoot at where all of the labor is provided by uncompensated, member volunteers has a unique sign on their fields, "Pick Up Your Empties, Your Mother Doesn't work Here". There are still jerks who will eject their empties on the ground and walk off and leave them.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

They work as advertised. I have used one at the WSRC. It was the one you push by hand. The only hulls it wouldn't pick up are the ones that have been stepped on and smashed down into the dirt.

4. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Great product!!! I was seriously considering purchasing one, untill I visited your website and checked pricing!!!! They are a spendy little unit!!

5. Gamba Man

Gamba Man Active Member

Not my web-site,...wanted input on how well they work. Planning to bring the idea to my clubs Reps and see how they feel about forking over some $$$.

6. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

oregunner_2008_030355.jpg
    We have one of these that we use occasionally, usually after shooting doubles. But, our trap pad is entirely concrete, so it runs over a smooth surface. The rule at our club is that you are politely but firmly requested to pick up your own empties. Mark

7. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I keep one of these and a plastic bucket at our 5 Stand. It is a magnet that I got through Harbor Freight and releases the hulls when you pull the handle. It works really well on steel based hulls and can pick up about 5 at a time. It was about $15. Mark

[​IMG]

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I know several gun clubs who have these stashed in a shed. They don't work on grass unless it looks like a putting green. Small bore hulls? No go.

9. capvan

capvan Active Member

Anyone who just ejects and walks away is just plain littering. I shoot at two clubs. At one, just about everyone reloads so it is rare that there are hulls on the ground. At the other, just about no one reloads and they toss their hulls into buckets at each station. I've just about got these guys convinced that premium hulls (that I reload or sell) break more birds, so it works for me.

cap

10. revbook

revbook Member

Used one at our club but realized that making the "ejectors" pick up their own hulls was more effective.

Don in PA

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Just charge extra for those that like chucking their hulls on the ground....then pay the trap help the extra $ raised...a club stimulus policy so to speak.

Curt

12. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

I make these and they can pick up to 20+ hulls at a time.
    cykick_2008_030364.jpg

13. himark

himark Well-Known Member

cykick those are pretty cool...how much do you get for those and do you have better pics?

14. Tim Earney

Tim Earney Member

I like the idea of charging extra if you want to eject empties on the ground. The next program that I write for our club I will include, "$2.00/Round additional charge if you want to eject empties on the ground". That may get some peoples attention. If they pay I will give it all to the kids who help.

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Down South we have a device that rolls on the ground and picks up Pecans. It's a large spring with a handle and works on any type of grass. The Pecans pop through the spring and end up inside. When the device is full, you turn it on it side, flip a spring and the nuts fall out. I bet it would work on shotgun shells, and they are cheap. Ace Hardware carries them.

16. t7731

t7731 Member

We have a couple of these machines and they while they pick up 80% of the hulls, someone still has to follow behind and snag the rest. Hence why they sit in the shed most of the time.

Not quite sure I understand all the bitching about letting hulls hit the ground. We hardly consider it littering as our club members all pitch in at the end of the day and help clean everything up. It is a matter of convenience to the shooter, who by the way, is our customer and let us not forget that they are spending their money at our club. ($5 for 25 birds that cost us less than $2). Go ahead and try charging guys an extra $2 for leaving their hulls. Ever hear of cutting off your nose to spite your face?

17. Mr. Obvious

Mr. Obvious TS Member

Seems there are clubs that want shooters to pick up everything and then there are clubs that say if it touches the ground its ours.

Pretty confusing for a new shooter.

18. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

Best pickup system......young people at $10/hr.

Actually we very strongly encourage shooters to pick up their hulls. Those who say the membership picks up at the end of the day... We are open to the public and have thrown 10,000 targets a day. That's a lot of hulls.
    We have special cans with wire mesh that allows hulls to pass through, and they are emptied regularly throughout the day. Trash is in separate containers. Often time members will delay a new group of people start until the field is cleaned by the previous group. If you ask them nicely to police their hulls, they usually do. (And often, a older guy like me, groaning and bending to pick up hulls will guilt the younger ones into helping and they can't start till I get off the field.) We also require the use of shell pouches (no bending down to pick up new shells from a box) which we provide and often shooters will put the empties back in the other side of the pouch if an O/U or have shell catcher.

If you want someone to pick up your hulls for you, always shoot AAs or STSs,especially in 28g and .410:)

19. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

All you hhe to do is firmly advise people to not eject their hulls into the surrounding area. Virtually everyone at our club takes the hulls out of the gun and puts them in a bag hanging from their waste.

I have just done this from the start and never needed to be told.

Our Club is in the Los Padres National Forrest so we can't leave anything behind.

Pack it in , pack it out.

We had a Celebraty Shoot at our facility a few years ago, and I managed to pick up two 50 gallon trash bags full of STS hulls.

I made $200 selling them here.

Randy

20. dale1957

dale1957 Member

A 15 dollar pecan picker works great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.