1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hull life VS velocity??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by linkerman, Oct 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linkerman

linkerman Member

Apr 15, 2009
    The below quote is from an article that I was reading on the internet. What do you guys think? Is there any substance to what this guy is saying?

“But lately I have run into several people who load the same hulls long past useful life. Each time you re-load a hull, you loose 20 to 30 F.P.S. If you reload the same hulls with what the book says is a 1200 F.P.S. load 10 times, you could be training with a 1000 F.P.S. load by the end of the summer.”
  2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Apr 28, 2006
    NW Wisconsin
    I tell ya... I load with a PW 800+ and rarely get more than 10fps diff. And have yet to hav a batch of one show any difference with a batch ofanother using the same recipe. In other words, if it books at 1200fps today, it will do the same wiht another batch. I do nto count the times Iload a hull. I just do a casual inspection as I fill my container. Adn I pick out the ones that look suspect. So, I guess what I do is average out and that does nothing to answer your query

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mar 14, 2006
    I've never noticed any significant velocity degradation after five or six loadings, if any at all. I usually toss the hulls before they get to ten loadings, but doubt there would be much difference if the hull is still intact without a weakened crimp. I've had a larger loss of velocity due to colder temperatures. Consistency of velocities after numerous loadings seems to deteriorate only very slightly.
  4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    SE PA
    A good crimp is key to consistency. Some hulls show splits or holes in the crimp area, and I discard them. Some go strong seemingly forever. My velocities, measured over a chrono, do not decrease as the number of loadings increase.

I use STS hulls. I never got anywhere near five reloads out of Fiocchi or Gold Medal hulls, and I gave up on new AA hulls long before I reached 10. So what I said above may not be true for all hulls.
  5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Green Bay Wisconsin
    Consistency is the word. Some hulls get soft in the crimp area before others, having slightly rounded crimps.

The best hull I have seen for longevity of crimp was the Remington Premier.

They were harder to load, being thicker in the mouth than the STS.

I got 16 loads out of a batch and the crimps were still nice and flat across the top.

At Vandalia they had a picture frame with Federal God Medal hulls, Loaded once, twice, three times, etc. All the way to 20 times.

But they were split in the folds at about 9 or 10 and just got worse from there on.

I toss when the folds get a little split (Rem) or when the holes in the fold develop(Old AA).

6. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Who is the author of the article and what are their credentials as an expert on the subject?

Carol Lister
  7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    This ten feet per second per reload story have been around for at least 17 years and must have started with some magazine article somewhere. When, in response to something I read, I tested hull life I got this:

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Using ten shells for each reload stage, the average speeds I got - that horizontal red line - stayed within a range of 10 fps for six reloads, and began to fall off thereafter. In other words, the author you cite, linkerman, is making it up.

Added edit: The Graph contains much more information, but it's so hard to "get it" without some work, I decided to quit doing it this way.

The "boxes" contain half the shots. For example, in that left-most factory shell's results, half the shots were contained within a range of 1157 to 1168 fps.

The long lines span the "extreme spread." That is, those same factory shells ranged from 1147 to 1176, slowest to fastest.

That means that the graph also shows that not only did the average speed not change over 6 reloadings, they did not become more variable either. The extreme spreads wavered around 30 fps, a perfectly standard figure, and the inner 50 range didn't move an inch.
  8. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Powder burn speed would be a factor as well with faster powders depending less on crimp quality.

I tested 1x fired AA (old style vs many fired mush Mouths with red dot and saw no difference in velocity chronoed with a Pact Model 1

9. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Jul 15, 2006
    This was posted on another forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.