1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hughes Net ISP ??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by k1200ltc509, Aug 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Any have experience with them or an alternative provider?? Not much else available in western Kentucky? I-phone is barely keeping up. Thanks, Rick Gibbs

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have their local affiliate Wild Blue (I'm in NE Md)...its ok if thats all you can get..I've had it for years...speeds fair...price is expensive for what you get ,..$50 a month and its weather sensitive..but does tell you with better accuracy than the weather channel when a T storm is on the way..we will be getting cable Inet/TV through our tiny monopoly phone company in our town soon,.. but the thought of getting on the roof to patch the holes from removing the sat dish mast tripod is something I'm not crazy about either...but its way better than dialup and beats the heck out of nothing

3. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I used Hughes in califronia when I lived in the foothills outside of Fresno, it was OK, but nothing to brag about. I had their best and it still was slow.

4. andybull

andybull Well-Known Member

Try Exede satellite. We had Hughes for a long time, a friend recommended Exede, so far so good. It is super fast compared to Hughes and their BS.

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Supposedly too much lag to be able to use Skype. Also ping times are in the 2000 ms range, whereas my current service runs around 12 - 20ms. Friend of mine has it, "$100 a month, and it really slows down in the evening, grumble, grumble, grumble". Sounds like the only good thing about Hughes is that nice looking chick that does the sales pitch on their ads. ;-)

There's a giant internet company, from Colorado, called JAB Broadband currently buying up every internet service they can get their hands on and upgrading the service, so maybe there's hope. They think they'll be able to offer 15mB downloads and have a "shadow network" in case the original develops a problem. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.