1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Huge Safety Violation in Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smoking357, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

When I first started shooting Trap at multi-field ranges, I was embarrassed, one day, when I applied range safety learned on the rifle and pistol ranges to Trap. I was getting ready to shoot when a club staffer crossed the firing line and proceeded to fill an adjacent Trap house. There he was, coming in and out of the house, downrange, in full view of my sights.

As there was a shooter forward of the line, I naturally and immediately called for a cease fire, cleared my weapon and backed away from the line. Other shooters thought this odd and began shooting. I was stunned. At the handgun and rifle range, you never ever step forward of the firing line if any gun on the line is hot. This is basic safety. The adjoining Trap house can very easily be reached by #7 shot, and if an AD occurs, that staffer could be shot and killed, even though the muzzle was pointed in a safe direction.

Why does Trap not follow the lead of rifle and pistol ranges and not blow the entire line cold prior to allowing someone to proceed forward of the firing line?

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I take it you have never fired in the National Pistol Championships at Camp Perry. They set up multiple banks of shooters with distance separation between the banks (as opposed to a physical barrier dividing the banks) as the only safety consideration. One bank may still be shooting their 25 yard rapid fire while the adjacent bank has moved 25 yards forward forward to score. The only safety is the significant off angle the shot has to be from an adjacent bank. Works about the same in Trap.

3. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

357 -

I'd suggest that you take your "sights" and "weapon" and find a different sport. Trapshooting obviously isn't for you.

Scott

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I agree with your 357 that is doesn't seem right. But it is what it is. LOL I couldn't resist.

Scott I think your a little over the top on that one.

5. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Rem -

All I'm saying is that if 357 doesn't feel safe then he should consider alternatives. I certainly will not stay involved if I feel my safety is at risk. Not sure why that is considered over the top?

Scott

6. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Remstar, I was standing on 5. Follow-through on a hard right would have put me too close for comfort to the loader.

But, hey, whatever. I'm not the insurance carrier. I've now come to accept the practice.

7. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

For the most part the staff, going out to the trap to fill the machines is not and issue.

A little bit of a new thing, as with those "OLD" handsets, that person would have been sitting in the house most of the day only being relieved when the SUB event was over.

But for the most part as when they are walking out to the trap from the scorers chair on the trap that is being attended. Their going forward is not much different, then framing a 27 yard squad with two 20 yard squads or the other way around.

HOWEVER!:

When the guy coming Back from the trap walks around the end (that being outside of posts 1 and 5), the shooter on the end of the next field over may take a pause and ask, "WHAT IS THAT YAEHOO DOING?"

That yaehoo has only Appeared once to me in the time I have shot over PAT traps and the like!

That guy needed to taken to wood shed and EDUCATED! ABOUT SAFETY!

Al

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

All I can say is this in a thread started today the 26 he see a safety problem with a practice that has stood for years with out a problem. Yet in a previous thread posted on the 23rd he said,

"I've dropped to the ground and field-stripped a semi-auto and got it working by the time the squad got back to me."

This was in relation to a question about what to do on the line when your gun stops working. Yet he sees nothing at being on the deck field stripping a piece that may or may not have a live round in the chamber while others are shooting around him. A practice which he seem to feel is just fine no danger at all.

So ask yourselves what is the concern in this matter other than causing trouble in the ranks that makes this such a Huge violation. Is it allowable in handgun and rifle to drop to the ground and field-strip a pistol or rifle????

Bob Lawless

9. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Bob, in that other thread, you said:

"You seem to feel that because you did this in one rotation of the participants of the squad that you can through Safety and Etiquette out of the equation."

I responded:

"Safety, Bob? That's a new one. I never went forward of the firing line, and I didn't strip a loaded gun. Where's the safety angle?"

I never heard back from you, as you deliberately ignored the question, so you're over here trying to start a new fight.

Come on, Bob. That's not Baseball, and I know you're bigger than this. Going to the bottom isn't how you earned your reputation.

10. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

I agree with Scott 100%, if you have read this guys drivel all over the site, his "weapon and sights" don't belong here. In a weeks time he has gone from asking all the questions to spouting all the answers, mostly wrong of course. IMHO.

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Toker you better check it again. If your here long enough which I doubt you will find out the only questions I deliberately ignore are when the lies being told are being ignored by the rest of the posters.

That isn't the case when it comes to you.

I will however stop responding to your drivel for two reasons one I am not one of the "smart guys" and two I will get my get out of this before my useless arguing as it is wasted on you. Will only manage to get me in trouble with management.

Bob Lawless

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I do find it very distracting when a person goes forward of the firing line on a trap adjacent to the field I am shooting on. When this occurs I will not shoot until the person is either in the house or is fully covered in front of the house. I think this can be done with minimal disturbance to the squad and is not a big deal. Also if you do stop your shooting, the person going forward knows you are aware of them and that they shouldn't waste alot of time getting behind cover. I am also one of those guys that goes forward of the firing line to deal with machine problems as they occur so I see the issue from both sides of the gun.

I terms of safety, I don't find the practice all that objectionable although we do ask our trap help to try and time their trips to the traphouse when the adjacent fields are rotating ... sometimes that isn't always possible.

Okay so much for reason, please return to the pissing match ... much more entertaining.

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Let's face it ... S357 is like a dog that comes into your yard, takes a wizz on your lounge chair, tips over your trash can and scatters it all over ... then when you come out to chase him off, he runs up wanting you to pet him!

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

At a state shoot the squad lined up on the stations getting ready to shoot. A field kid just walked right through the shooters going toward the trap house. Like 357 I just didn't like the fact he didn't say anything or findout if we were unloaded or not. We were loaded and ready to shoot just to let everyone know. He had walked alittle over half way to the trap house when I called for a target LOUDLY. The kid jumped straight up and turned around. No one had a hard time reading his lips. We all had a GOOD laugh. I just hope it taught him a good lesson not to walk out in front shooters who were lined up ready to shoot.

As far as I know is you can go to the trap house as long as the line is safe. The other fields to either side is not an issue by the ATA rules. When I go to the house for any reason I ask is the line safe if the shooters are on their stations. If safety is not an issue then why do we have to put up a flag or a cone when loading a trap house?

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Had a trap setter come out in the MIDDLE of a round, and say "I need a break".

Good thing us old farts have good safety habits. Lots of bitching about that one.

Smokey Stover ( Can anyone ID that name? A lucite navel to the first answer)should go to Middletown and shoot the right banks, you can see the shooters across the valley.

HM

16. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

You mean this guy?
    [​IMG]

17. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

I shoot at Middletown, HM. They usually have me use the fields right behind the clubhouse. Do you mean the shotgunners can see the centerfire shooters?

18. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Poor Middletown ....

19. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Oh, it's not so bad for them. They charge me for 25, and I leave some in perfect shape on their grounds.

Was that you in the shoot-off in the big photo in the basement?

Yuk, yuk, yuk.

20. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Many times safety is also a personel decision. I have seen some shooters stand at the line, with their shotguns in their hands, when the trap machine is being reloaded. I prefer to put my shotgun in the rack while I wait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.