1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

"Huckabee's muzzle control problem"?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Charles L. Schmidt, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

<i>Found this on the Drudge Report this morning. If you go to the link above there is a discussion thread related to this story. cls</i>

"Huckabee's muzzle control problem

by Jim Tankersley

Republican Mike Huckabee took his presidential campaign for a quick pheasant-hunting expedition in Iowa on Wednesday, and at one point, a reporter asked why he hadn’t invited sporting enthusiast Dick Cheney along. "Because I want to survive all the way through this," Huckabee replied, in a chuckling dig at the vice president’s accidental shooting of a quail-hunting partner last year.

Any good sportsman, though, couldn’t miss a distinctly Cheneyesque moment in the press accounts of the former Arkansas governor’s morning hunt: At one point, Huckabee’s party turned toward a cluster of reporters and cameramen and, when they kicked up a pheasant, fired shotgun blasts over the group’s heads.

This, friends, is dangerously bad hunting form.

Your Swamp correspondent, the son of a longtime hunter education instructor, grew up plying the corn rows and stream banks of rural Oregon with a Labrador retriever and a Mossberg 20-gauge pump shotgun. On our hunts for pheasant, grouse and quail, merely swinging a gun barrel in the general direction of another person was grounds for day-long banishment to the truck (which smelled like wet dog).

Suffice to say, if any of our hunting mates had pulled a stunt like Huckabee’s yesterday, we never would have invited them back. It’s the sort of behavior that drives safety-conscious hunters up the wall, because it reinforces a reckless, gun-totin’ stereotype.

My colleague James Oliphant reports that Huckabee’s party was about 75 yards away from the press corps Wednesday when a pheasant jumped up and flew toward the reporters, drawing several shots. “That was too close,” he reports a cameraman saying.

Perhaps Huckabee missed hunter’s safety classes – Arkansas only requires them for hunters born after 1968 – but the etiquette on this point is clear.

“Never point a firearm at yourself or others,” the International Hunter Education Association declares in its Basic Safety Rules. Later, it adds, “Never point your firearm at something you do not intend to shoot. Make sure you positively identify what you are shooting at and know what lies in front of and beyond it.”

Huckabee emerged happily from his hunt, three dead pheasants in tow, Oliphant reports. Asked for a metaphor to describe the hunt, he replied, "Don't get in my way. This is what happens."

Posted by Jim Tankersley on December 27, 2007 12:39 PM | Permalink"

2. incognito

incognito TS Member

If he hit the pheasant and not the press people, it sounds to me like he hit exactly what he was aiming for. Maybe it was a hint for the press to keep on his good side.

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I watched a short interview with Huckabee while he was in the field on that pheasant hunt. Funny no one said anything then or after the interview.

I'd say its just another journalist's twisting the facts (as usual) to bolster his ego. The first clue should be when they estimated the yardage. Take them to a range with a measured distance and let them guess how far it is. Any bets?

4. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

huckabee was in my town last night and i went to here him speak. he seemed very honest and sincere to me. i hope he is elected.i was a tancredo man but he's out. huckabee answered many of the claims made by romney lately about him raising taxes and other item with facts not political bs.make up your own mind as i have. he has a long history of supporting gun owners rights.jackmitch

5. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

This just proves the old adage about not believing everything you read in the popular media.
    Or ANY media, for that matter...............

6. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

He also has a VERY lax view of the invasion from our southern borders. This point is important at this point in our history. I also think it will become even MORE important as a majority of baby boomers retire from the workforce.

God Bless America!!!

7. grammie

grammie TS Member

He's around the played the "christ card"!!!! Damn guys,,,can't you see he thinks he's a sheperd,,in need of a "flock"!!!!!

If Huckabee wins,,,,we lose!!! Why???? Because that is what the Democrats pray for,,,,,,a white evangelical politicion bent on doings God work as he see it,,and running on it!!!!! And thereby sweeping a Democrat into office!!!!!!!

AKA Grammie..........

8. larryjk

larryjk Member

Huckabee is a nice guy but he mumbles when he has both feet in his mouth. And he has been doing that a lot lately. He needs to remember the reporters are out to get him and he has to be damn careful about what he says.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

First, can you imagine going on a bird hunt with a group or reporters tagging along 50-75 yards behind?

Grammie- I rarely agree with you but I do agree with your last post. At times I have the impression that both major parties are intent on nominating the least desirable candidate.

Pat Ireland

10. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

To me Huckabee is about as conservative as George Bush. And thats not saying much!! I would only vote for Huckabee if I had no other choice. (That happened when I voted for Bush) Ugh.. What a choice we will have next November!! Ed

11. 27 YARDS

27 YARDS TS Member

If you wanted to see Huchabee at his best yet...You should have seen him on Face The Nation this morning...."Great guy"....If this guy gets elected we'er all in trouble...

12. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Huckabee did not just now find God. He has been religous all of his life. Its not an act. If you want an athiest vote for a dem.

13. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

On the positive side, Huckabee is a genuine sportsman. Fishing and hunting are not an act for this man - he actually enjoys those sports. If you rated the candidates using different criteria - such as on the basis of pro or anti gun, where would huckabee end up?

14. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

huckabee has a permit to carry a concealed weapon. been a member of the nra for 15 years. don't believe ev ery thing the liberal media says about him he pretty much stated what his stance is on the major issues and they weren't exactly what you read in the paper. tancredo was the only guy who was really strong on imigration and he's out so who is left on that front. i don't know all the answers but i know if we get a liberal pres along with liberal congress good bye guns.jackmitch

15. Black Rifle

Black Rifle TS Member

Huckabee has also clearly voiced his understanding that the "Second Amendment isn't about hunting." Romney, Guiliani, nor even Thompson seems to understand that. Although Thompson would be more friendly to gun owners that Romney or Guiliani, I wouldn't count on him not giving in to "reasonable" gun laws! (We've already been over what I thing of these "reasonable" laws)

There's a lot about Huckabee that I'm uncomfortable with, especially his positions on illegal aliens, but I'm not writing him off yet. Romney and Guiliani are just liberals in conservative suits as far as I'm concerned.

16. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

He is a "nice guy" type, but I am am weary of him. He seems to lean towards a Jimmy Carter(can't we just get along) type foreign policy and THAT scares me! He has been soft on illegal aliens and favored letting their kids gets in state tutition. He pardoned more fellons(some VIOLENT ones) than the last 3 Governors COMBINED! At least one murderer he pardoned went out and killed again. He seems fairly honest and seems to mean well, but not KNOW well in many cases. He would be far better than the "Witch from Hell", but I just don't see him as a staunch conservative.

17. JWS

JWS Member

Huckleberry doesn't seem so bad of a choice since you have McCain, Romney and Julianie that are the Dingleberries. Have you ever had a dingleberry before?

18. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

As for the report on "safety" obviously nobody complaining has ever been dove hunting on opening day in Yuma AZ. This happens to everyone. I have been hunting dove here all my life and I'm positive that on every one of my opening day hunts I have been rained on by shot. I hunt in an area that has hundreds of shooters on all sides. It’s a farming operation that has it’s own special hunting area. They have a safety meeting every year before we go out and take our favorite spots. The main rule is only shoot at 45 deg angles up or higher. How high was the pheasant and at what angle was his gun when he shot. My god if you followed these rules at dove hunts in SW Arizona you might as well leave your shells at home because you’d never shoot at anything. Can’t they find something else to criticize him for, something that matters, something they have a clue about?

19. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

The more I read and hear the more I confirm my vote for Huckabee

20. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

If he is still in the race when for the AZ primary, he'll get my vote! If not it will go to Thompson. I'll have a real hard time voting for Romney, McCain or Giuliani.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.