1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HTML leak when posting threads?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by skeet_man, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Trying to insert a webpage into a ts.com thread via html. What i'm doing is going to the page i want to insert, right clicking, clicking on "Page Source", then copying the text there, and inserting the text into the ts.com thread.

It seems to be working well for the most part, but it almost seems like there's a "leak" for lack of a better term somewhere. After I insert this HTML code, it changes font colors and sizes on the rest of the page (which wouldn't be horrible, but it makes the reply text microscopic), including posts not made by me, and also changes colors in the "edit/delete messages" section.

Any thoughts as to what I may be doing wrong? It seems like i'm pretty close, but probably making a minor mistake.

2. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

skeet_man just a curious question. Why do you want to do this if you post a web address everyone to be able view your webpage Use the link provided by putting the URL in the Website URL line provided then anyone that wants to can go to the website directly.

Then they can even shop the features of the site and order what ever you might have to offer. By posting it the way you are trying to do all they do is see the sight they can't click on the features and see the products. If you provide a link to the website they can see each product and find out just what you have to offer.

You do it what ever way you wish but remember this forum wasn't set up for HTML code. There is a banner in the top right hand corner of the page for advertising your wares.

Bob Lawless

3. skeet_man

Bob- I was just trying something new. I saw that 800shotgun was doing much the same thing, and seems to provide a more succinct layout, i'll probably just go back to listing my website address in the future since this new way seems to create more problems than it solves.

4. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

skeet_man,

The HTML from your website page is probably not well-formed (i.e., it's probably missing the ending tag for a div, span, or font). Most browsers don't complain about that kind of thing, but it can really hurt you when trying to load your content inside of another page.

Bob,

I don't mean to nit-pick, but this whole forum is rendered with HTML. The designer may not have accounted for people entering HTML markup into their postings, but if the markup is not removed from the text when it is posted it's going to be treated the same as if it were any other part of the page. I know it's handy to use anchor tags when you want to embed links into your posting.

--Dan

5. skeet_man

Dan- That makes sense. I thought I was all slick figuring out how to enter the html, but going in and editing it is way beyond my capability and patience LOL.

6. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

You can't simply add the source code of one web page to the rendering code of another page such as this forum and expect a browser to sort them out. The browser has no way to separate the two codes and will simply try to merge them; you have seen the result of that.

I'll only tell you that to embed the content of one web page into another you need to create and size an inline frame (IFRAME) to contain the content of the embed. There is also the matter of the legality of the practice. Does the page you wish to embed belong to you?

That's all I'll say. You can take it from here.

Carol Lister

7. skeet_man

Carol- Site I was trying to embed was my own. Trying something new, was hoping to be able to just transplant my homepage here, but its not as easy as I though, and I think i'll just stick to a link...

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.