1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HS AA Shells / Ripples

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by TURNKEY321, Jun 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TURNKEY321

TURNKEY321 Member

I started loading some of my new HS AA hulls and find that I have small ripples on the side of the hull. This occurs on 1 out of every 5 or so shells. I am using a Clay buster copy of the Fig 8 wad and even tried a AA Clay buster with the same result. Are these new hulls junk or are their special wads to use that I don't know about?

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

where is the "ripple" located??

bill

3. TURNKEY321

TURNKEY321 Member

The ripples are 1/2"-3/4" up from the base of the hull. They are not severe and the shells chamber well and perform alright. I was just wondering if I was missing something, as I never had trouble with the Old AA's.

4. nipper

nipper TS Member

the new aa is a two piece construction,depending on the wad used,if the base of the wad is to big it will cause a noticable "ripple".

bill

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

A few simple adjustments can eliminate this problem. First, use a wad designed for AA hulls. Seat the wad with at least 5-8 pounds of pressure. Raise the crimp starter and final crimp about one turn.

The basic problem is that the final crimp is pushing down too hard on the case causing the case wall to form a ripple. The new AA hulls work fine for me.

Pat Ireland

6. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

you need the taper wad or any of the downrange wads- claybuster has a tapered wad rick

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

TURNKEY321

Claybuster (CB) makes several AA clones including white, orange, and the once ounce pink version. They're all tapered and they all work just fine in old or new AA hulls. The white CB Figure 8 clone* is also tapered and makes a dandy load in a AA hull as well.

You might also check the Winchester (Olin Corp.) web site. At one time it included an instruction sheet explaining in detail the minor adjustments Mr. Ireland mentioned in his post.

sissy

* Claybuster also makes a 'White 8' wad. The White 8 is also tapered and is a replacement for (not a clone of) a Figure 8. CB makes a red version which is not tapered. The red version of the 'White 8' is best suited for Gold Medals and other straight walled hulls.

8. darr

darr Well-Known Member

If you are loading 1 oz try a waa12 wad with 1 oz and that will fix the problem.I load 18 gr. Red Dot with waa12 and 1 oz and no ripple.It is the only way I have got rid of it.As soon as I am out of waa12 I am going Rem. only and Feds for pot shooting or hunting.You will find the same problem with the 20 gauge AAs also.You need to use a 1 oz wad with a 7/8 oz load.Good luck.

Darr

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I found using Downrange XL1 wads that like all others, they will hang on the inside lip of the AA hull. But, when crimping, the wad will compress slightly allowing a very tight good crimp. I find I can interchange the STS and AA hulls with the correct adjustments on a 366 press. Of course, this is with 1 oz.

Jim Chapman

Hell, Michigan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.