1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HR 822 passes...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rpeerless, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

HR 822 whether it is amended or not has passed and is moving on to the Senate. Stop home and drop off your handguns before going to the Grand however, Illinois and DC are not included in the bill.

What role did Sheila Jackson Lee and Carolyn McCarthy play in the drafting of the amendments? Does ANYONE know for sure? Or do we have to READ IT to know what's in it as it is amended?

2. rpeerless

Does anyone know for certain if this is a "bait and switch" bill?

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I'm opposed to this bill. It's a dangerous two-edged sword. I have no doubt that the anti's will seek to use it as a vehicle to impost permitting and carry restrictions and standards on the states, using the most restrictive states as their baseline.

4. rpeerless

There are reportedly 40 states going along with this. What about the others besides Illinois(and DC)? I think this is already restrictive and not at all 'likened to a drivers license' as it was promoted. If you are traveling how do you avoid breaking the law if you have to travel through a restrictive state to a non restrictive state? How far are you willing to detour at today's gas prices? It's wrongly billed as "National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act" when it is not ALL inclusive.
    There is also an issue as to who will enforce the penalties in non participating states...

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You can drive thru IL with your handgun, rifles, shotguns whatever. You just need to obey the laws of the State. Gun must be unloaded and cased. No big deal. No it's not ideal but you act like they are waiting at the border for you. Uneducated people tend to make statements that are not rational. If you are gonna avoid driving thru a State because the laws differ from those of your State, it is gonna be a long trip. Just Say'n......

6. rpeerless

Just trying to make the point that some states permits are discretionary and Vermont has no permit at all. Not like a driver's license.
    Just sayin'.
    If some people are so edjamucated why don't you try answerin my ether qestions? Eh?
    Ain't that there word "ir'rat'tional a buzzed word for liberal hack?????

7. Brian in Oregon

Some valid concerns:

----------------------------------------

From Dudley Brown:

I was right to be concerned.

Not only was H.R. 822 -- the Trojan horse gun control bill -- passed out of the House of Representatives this evening, it was passed with an amendment that would open the door to federal biometric requirements for concealed firearms permits and a federally-administered database of all permit holders.

Only 7 Republican Members of Congress stood against federal overreach in the concealed carry process by opposing this bill (you can see how your Representative voted here: http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2011/roll852.xml).

The bill was amended this afternoon by ostensibly “pro-gun” Republicans to require a study be done on the ability of law enforcement officers to verify the validity of out-of-state concealed firearm permits.

You and I both know what this means. A year from now, the study will come back stating that the only way to “verify” out-of-state permits is through federally-mandated biometric requirements for concealed firearm permits and Congress “must” create a nationally administered database of all concealed weapon permit holders.

One of my biggest concerns about this bill -- the lists of gun owners a permit process creates -- should send shivers down your spine: Imagine Eric Holder and the BATFE with a national database of concealed carry permit holders.

It’s bad enough to have those lists exist at a state level. Once Eric Holder and his cronies find a way to request that list from a state, they’ll do it -- all the in the name of “implementing H.R. 822.”

The legislation now moves to the Harry Reid-run Senate, where companion legislation is expected to be introduced in the coming days. I have no doubt that the anti-gunners in the Senate will use this as an opportunity to make H.R. 822 even worse.

What troubles me most about this battle is the institutional gun lobby has been leading the charge for this legislation. In fact, they’ve been brow-beating Members of Congress who dare to question the consequences of passing such a broad, overreaching piece of legislation.

Republican Congressman Justin Amash (MI-03) fought back against the institutional gun lobby for its support of H.R. 822:

"It's remarkably bold of the National Rifle Association to send out false and misleading messages regarding H R 822, an unconstitutional bill that improperly applies the Commerce Clause to concealed carry licensing. I would support legislation that gets the federal government out of the way of states that want to recognize other states' concealed carry permits. In contrast, H R 822 will hurt gun rights by conceding broad new authority to the federal government to override state sovereignty.

Gun rights advocates have fought hard to prevent liberal abuse of the Commerce Clause that would restrict gun rights... I am disappointed that the NRA has decided to put its own interests ahead of the interests of gun owners. Fortunately, many other gun rights groups rightly oppose H R 822."

Please call your Senator at (202) 224-3121 and tell them you want to keep the government’s hands off your permit and that you oppose federal intrusion into the concealed weapons permit process.

Thank you for taking action to keep the federal government out of the concealed firearms permit system.

For Freedom,

Dudley Brown

Executive Director

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The National Association for Gun Rights is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, single-purpose citizens' organization dedicated to preserving and protecting the Constitutionally protected right-to-keep-and-bear-arms through an aggressive program designed to mobilize public opposition to anti-gun legislation. The National Association for Gun Rights' mailing address is P.O. 7002, Fredericksburg, VA 22404. They can be contacted toll-free at 1-877-405-4570. Its web address is www.NationalGunRights.org/

You can read our privacy policy here.

Not produced or e-mailed at taxpayer expense.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help the National Association for Gun Rights grow, please forward this to a friend.

To view this email as a web page, please click this link: view online.

Help fight gun control. Donate to the National Association for Gun Rights!

8. rpeerless

Thanks Brian. I hadn't read or seen the above correspondence as yet. I have this view of Dudley Brown jumping up and down waving his arms saying, "hey look over here..." but no one is listening.
    Well now according to this a few people are listening. The overwhelming message was to pass HR822 then the last minutes the NRA sends out , Urgent pass the UN AMENDED bill HR 822. Now does any one think the legislators at the last moments heard the NRA say UNAMENDED bill? No, all they heard was pass HR822 and so they did.

Let or get the Repubs to undermine states rights and sovereignty. What a clever "set up" if it's true. And the repubs did it almost unamimously...
    'Rascally libs' did it again did they? Aren't those progressives so smart?

And to think it could have been states recognizing other states without the Federal intervention...who da thunk?

The old bait and switch trick works everytime...IMHO

9. Brian in Oregon

Ask yourself why would the Dems work for this, and why would Obama sign it? While some pro-gun Republicans are against it? I think there are ulterior motives at work here. I am not opposed to national reciprocity per se, but we must have safeguards and protections built in. That's something the NRA has a lousy track record on.

10. rpeerless

This bill was from twenty years ago. Why did it just resurface during this regime? How convienient....

The dems just played along and opposed it like they normally would except history will be on their side...

Of course everyone wants National Reciprocity...myself included go figure.

Brian the dems are working on the amendments with the 'safeguards' built in as we speak but I can wager it's not what you think safeguards would be...
    The bill was to be presented only on the condition that it would remain unamended. It was already amended (with safeguards but not for the gun owners) before the vote and now it just needs the kod(kiss of death)further adjustments and "safeguards and protections(of and for the general public no doubt)" from the dems.

That's how it looks to me anyways...but then according to an above poster, I'm uneducated, and irrational.

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Ok rpeerless, you are educated and rational now. Hope that makes you feel better and have a nice day. :)

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

I am not sure what this bill does?

My CPL is recognized in 37 states the last time I checked. The only state I travel to that does not recognize it is Illinois. That does not change with this bill.

Look guys, ANY data base at the State level is available to the Federal government. They can ask for it, it can be "demanded" by executive order or during a state of marshal law, or they can hack into the state servers.

If you have ever purchased a weapon, loading equipment, ammunition etc with a credit card, THEY will find you. If you are the email/snail mail lists of Brownell's, Midway, Natchez, Graff, etc, THEY will find you. If you are a member of the NRA, ATA, SASS, gun club, etc, THEY will find you.

You can take the "conspiracy" fears to an extreme.

Don Verna

13. rpeerless

Dvera,

I was just about to make that point re: 37 states. So was this bill HR 822 really necessary to pick up a couple of states. Big deal.

Yes we should have a completely rational fear of what's in it cause it ain't good.

That's why it has been kicked around and out for twenty years!

Who does it benefit besides the Democrats???????

Thanks Grntitan you have a good day too, but do worry about this bill...

It sounds like 'uneducated' 2nd Amendment repubs made a bad decision again...

Urgent! Can somebody please stop this bill????

This only goes to show how 'far removed from the people they serve', our legislators and representatives really are....We the people need to speak up!

A Thank You to Dudley Brown.

14. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

If you think this is going to get shot down in the senate your crazy. Don't look for the sweet stuff now. Down the road things will get very sour garuanted.

Obamms propaganda minister Eric Globles Holder has other Ideas down the road.
    The Bastard will probably have the SEIU union take care of the paper work. Wild Bill

15. rpeerless

Other bills have been rejected in the Senate. How did this bill gain such positivie momentum with such little benefit to the people it effects? It needs to be undone and fast.

It seems like nobody can say what the attributes of this bill are but all the repubs supported it like it was the next best thing to sliced bread.
    Not only that the bill undermines the States which may be its sole purpose.

Why was this bill so critical? Can anyone say?

16. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Those Commie lovers have tried this type of thing before. They tried to put fluoride in our drinking water so they could control our minds. They thought we were just a bunch of country bumpkins and they could pull the wool over our eyes but we saw right through them. We put that commie plot down! There will be on fluoride in our drinking water and our minds and bodies will be free. Most of us have learned to eat pretty well with false teeth anyway.

jim brown

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.