1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How's Your Shotmaking Going?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JWS, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWS

JWS Member

Would like to know how everyone's shotmaking efforts are doing.
    I am still receiving questions regarding what type of coolant to use.
    Believe it or not some are still trying to use plain water to drop their shot into and then wonder why it looks like popcorn. You won't make good shot using my machine and water as a coolant.

Had my first question about sending my machine back because shot is coming down and buyer decided not to make his own shot. It was interesting to say the least.

All machine are in stock, ready for shipment. Dripper sizes 6, 7 1/2, 8, 8 1/2, and 9's. Standard Machine can use Double Drippers in sizes 8, 8 1/2, and 9's. If you want #6 shot you need a Black Max Machine. If you want more production per hour you need a Black Max.

Look forward to all inquiries. You can call me at 256-587-0107. If I am not here leave your name and telephone number and I will return your call as soon as possible.
    Thanks,
    James Stewart

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

maybe you should take it back on consignment......I would be interested in a used model, especially if checked out by you.

3. nipper

nipper TS Member

hello jim

bill

4. Gadjet Man

Gadjet Man TS Member

Jim, Used the machine four times makes great shot took your advice and am dropping into metsafe, with good clean lead it is about as close to plug and play it is about as close to plug and play as you can get. My only regret is not buying the double.Around six hundred pounds with six or seven pounds of rejects.All the good advice from this web has helped.Thanks For a GREAT Machine Dave Chutz PA.

5. jdar46

jdar46 Guest

Had mine for about one year. It does great. I use the Texico extended life coolant, mainly used for disiel trucks (no soap) and Reddish color. It is thicker than regular coolant. My problem is getting lead. Between Wal-Mart and Tire Kingdom, the small outfits are doing the business like they use to. Cann't complain and I have people wanting my shot all the time. By the way Jim, thanks for all the great advice in the beginning and also to those that have put helpful suggestions on Trapshooters. Lattimore, NC

6. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

Going pretty good so far. Done around 400lbs and have 300lbs of ingots waiting. We have been using prestone lowtox and a small amount of laundry deturgent as coolant. The double #8s are awsome, couldn't imagine using anything slower. Thanks for the great machine!

Sawyer , Josh

7. Gadjet Man

Gadjet Man TS Member

Ajax, I am using a metsafe clone made by Altra Products FR200WG the FR means fire retardant 200 must mean hyd.oil and the WG means water glycol the nice thing about it is if you run low on the oil you can add anti-freeze to fill..this stuff was made for Allegheny Petroleum Products 1-800-251-6776 price six months ago 85.00 per five gallons. Gadjet Man

8. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Lead is very hard to find at a half way good price -- scrap dealers think they have precious metal when you ask their selling price -- tire dealers are wise to the lead prices even though the price is dropping -- not real good right now

9. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

How good can I make shot? I'm not interested in saving money. Quality and uniformity is what I'm after. I shoot A lot of 5's, 6's, and 7's for birds. The availability and size uniformity are always a problem. West coast shot is the standard I go by. How much wheel weight to pure lead do I need for Magnum hardness and density. I expect that there will be some rejects and I anticipate rolling the shot down a steel plate with a gap to separate the out of round shot. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Joe

10. JWS

JWS Member

Gun Fitter:
    You need about 90% good wheel weights to 10% pur lead. It also depends on what size shot you are making. If making #9's you need 100 % wheel weights.
    Jim Stewart

11. JWS

JWS Member

Josh,
    Glad you are happy with your machid its production.
    Happy Shotmaking!
    Jim Stewart

12. JWS

JWS Member

Maclellan 1911:
    Sorry, but I am not interested in reselling my machines. What I do like to know from my customers is if they actually sell their machine to someone else please notify me so I can update information on where that machine is now.
    That was a first in over 40 years. I do suggest that for anyone interested in making their own shot that they gather all of the extra equipment -coolant tank, coolant, how they will sift the shot , and how they will wash the shot before they invest in a machine they don't want.
    Jim Stewart

13. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

as jim said the larger the shot the more pure lead you can put in the mix. That will also make the shot softer--that makes for more flier shot--that is ok for skeet but you need a better long range pattern for trap. rick

14. JWS

JWS Member

Doggai(John)
    If you are adding soft lead to your wheel weight always stay on the safe side.
    If you are making #7 1/2 shot try 70% wheel weight and 30% soft lead. You may have to go 80% wheel weights to 20% soft lead. It all depends on wha ttype of soft lead you are using.

If you are making #8 or # 8 1/2 shot use 90% wheel weights to 10% soft lead. Depending on the type of soft lead used you may have to use 100% wheel weights.

If you are making #9's only use 100% wheel weights.

Ty to remember that the smaller the shot orifice the cleaner the lead flowing through it.
    Jim Stewart

15. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

jim,ill need to get ahold of you when i get back to shot making,gonna wait till fall to start again,seems like my black max(2000 lbs so far) dont like hot weather,still not getting the quality i was getting with my better shot maker(ran over 5000 lbs with it),and have tryed the same set up that i was using with my old shot maker,to a complete different set up from scratch ,and went back to my first set up.but i wont need to mess with it untill it cools down a bit,talk to you later,mark

16. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

I don't make my own shot but I have a question for you shot making experts. I purchased some home made shot for the first time last weekend from someone I do not know. It is supposed to be #8 shot. When I got it home and inspected it...I found it is not round. Some have flat spots and will hardly roll when dropped on to the floor. Some are teardrop shaped with a tail. Much to my surprise, this shot absolutely blackballs clay targets from 16 yards.

Years ago I purchased some reclaimed shot and it would not blackball targets as I remember.

Appreciate any comments and thanks,

mp

17. Superdog1

Superdog1 TS Member

The irregular shot shoots fine. I usually keep my mistakes and shoot them myself. 99's,98's with plenty of smoke. The one or two missed are not the shot's fault- it is the guy behind the gun. My dad shoots the odd ball stuff, and ran great scores with it. he used it on his first shot for doubles at the state shoot, and shot 100 and 99 (missed the last bird on the last station!). Jim has a great machine, and answers questions honestly, and offers great advice. I am in the process of turning 6500 lbs of brand new wheel weights (long story) into shot, and it will be sold through Wallace Traps in Wallace, In. see the ATA web site for contact information- club is based in Indiana. I use type 75 hydralic tractor fluid for coolant, and most of my shot- 90% has great shape, and few flat spots. If the fluid gets real hot, or thinned out by mineral spirits (by accident) then I have a few irregular show up.

18. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

The reason for homemade shot making ink balls out of targets, I believe, is because the 100% wheel weights used is actually harder than magnum shot. Me and Rifle Guy started making our own 8's and I think I'm getting more ink balls than I ever have. Sure makes the sport that much more fun. Good shooting, Josh.

19. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Jolly,

This explains alot to me. The person I bought it from stated that it was 1/2 wheel weights and 1/2 pure lead. But I can believe that the inkballs are from the hardness of the shot. I have shot for decades with a fellow that shoots wide open chokes and has the blackest inkballs on the squad of mostly full chokes. I have suspected that it was his homemade shot hardness, not the choke necessarily.

I'm still laughing about the shape of this shot. It also smokes 'em from 27.

Why was the reclaimed shot that I shot years ago not able to cause black smoke? It was like shooting a cylinder bore instead of full from 16, the target would break good but little smoke???

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.