1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How's your local gun club doing, and why??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by D. Ryder, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D. Ryder

D. Ryder TS Member

How's your local gun club doing?????

Just wondering how everyone's local gun clubs are doing? So many shooters have quit the sport entirely. What's the reason shooters are giving up the sport?

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Well, it is sad to say, but my local club is hurting. For the last year or so, participation has been dwindling. First casualties were the registered shoots. Five or six years ago. there would be about 25 to 30 shooters for the registered shoot. Lately, there have been only a squad or so in each event and sometimes only 3 shooters. We have canceled 5 out of the last 7 shoots. People say that it is too hard to shoot a good score there. I have shot some of my best scores there so it is not the targets. It is the 6 inches between a persons ears.

Now practice shooters is dwindling so much that we have only open on Saturdays for the last month. Propane is high enough that it does not pay to even open for the very few rounds that are shot. Let alone the target and other overhead cost.

It saddens me terribly. I have spent many many enjoyable days at the range and really hate to see it slipping away. Hopefully it will be able to remain open through the winter then maybe it will survive. Every club that closes is one more nail in the coffin of the trapshooting community.

John

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Our Club is doing great. We went from about 19,000 registered targets in 2006 to 54,000 registered targets in 2007 with just two trap fields. Now that we have 3 and plan on having a fourth by April we will top 100,000 this year.

We are adding new members, both trap and skeet, every month and we haven't even begun our new membership marketing program. Shotgun sports are great fun and introducing new people to the sport is what it is all about.

If your club is not doing well, you can find the answers in your restroom. Go in and look in the mirror. Ask the guy in there when was the last time he brought a non-shooter friend out to shoot. Ask him if he made a point to walk over and introduce himself to a visitor. Ask him if he has invited the local service clubs out for a free lunch, a short speech and some shooting. Ask him why he doesn't STFU and quit complaining and start working to build up the club. Ask him if he sees anything that needs cleaning, painting or fixing.

It isn't easy to work your fat butts off. It is easy to drink, fart, bitch and shoot $2.50 targets until they are all gone.

4. tbuster

tbuster Member

Our club is in an area where the economy is booming. We have a tremendous summer league for trap and our registered shoots are holding there own. The new year may be different with the increase in lead and cost of shells but I think that it will remain good because it is a land of plenty now. Fortunate to be where we are.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

John- I am not being critical, only trying to help. You stated that your club is losing participation because "People say that it is too hard to shoot a good score there. I have shot some of my best scores there so it is not the targets."

It would seem that many shooters disagree with your assessment and they are the ones who have left. You have shot some good scores at the club but others can't do that. That may say more about your shooting ability than the targets that the club throws.

I would suggest that you carefully review your targets. Make certain they are between 42.5 and 43.5 MPH, 9.5 to 10 feet high and the angles are set properly. If your club has a tree background, make certain you art throwing the best color for that background(probably solid orange or solid green). Do not simply discount the comments by other shooters that the targets are difficult at your club.

Pat Ireland

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

<I>"People say that it is too hard to shoot a good score there. I have shot some of my best scores there so it is not the targets."</I>

This may well be just the most convenient excuse, not the real reason these people have left. This is not to say that they don't have valid reasons for quiting that they may be too proud or embarrassed to admit to. The underlying psychology is not complicated but it's not necessary to go into it here.

It's a lot easier to stop doing something if you if you can convince yourself that the activity has become too difficult and is stacked against you. I've seen this happen at the clubs I shoot at. Many of he shooters who were inconsistent or who regularly struggled have simply stopped coming around. Having to pay a lot more money to do something you didn't do well in the first place finally makes no sense to them, and they quit.

Morgan

7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Attendance at our club is up and down. We are a local Izaak Walton chapter and there is no registered shooting there. So my registered shooting is 40 miles at the closest.

A local high school does engraving on glass so one thing we are going to try is to give engraved mugs that have 25, 50, 75 and 100 straight engraved on them. (only one each) Our reasoning is that it will intice shooters to shoot more and be more competitive amongst themselves. Another thing we are going to try next year is to put up shooters names, scores and averages for the year on a board in the club house.

This thread would be a good place to kick around some ideas between ourselves to see what we could come up with to raise the attendance at our local clubs. Who knows we might find a magic combination that works.

Bill

8. tomk2

tomk2 Member

I have no idea, I haven't been there in so long.

9. verypoor

verypoor Member

we are doing ok.practice has fallen off and we modified our winter league so someone doesnt have to open for only a couple of shooters.i see people turning into event shooters,but practice is down..bp

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I have found that the one thing that attracts trap shooters to my club is food. If it is free food they will fly their relatives in from out of state to have a free meal. Our club is doing very and will continue to do so as long as the members are hungry. HMB

11. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Very poorly, high fuel prices, high shell/component prices, and the lack of interest. I and about 5 other shooters mostly, and they are two box Charles. FD

12. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

PLEASE post your state and area so we can see what areas are up or down. thanks

13. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

verypoor, lets have a buffallo steak dinner shoot. i still got 800lbs in my freezer.

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

hows our club???? When I go to the meetings 2nd Thurs of every month there are always new members signing on. on average this year 10 to 12. The thing I noticed is you never seem to see new faces at the shooting events. Trap or other. We do seem to have a good core of participants for all our events. Trap non ATA black powder CMP archery .22 pistol and center fire pistol events. These groups do not seem to be getting any bigger though. Also seeing anyone under 30 is somewhat rare. I would like to do the black powder just do not have the xxx$$$$ to do so. 800 members see the same 50 guys

15. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Pocatello Trap Club is doing well. During the hunting season when the weather is bad we don't throw as many targets on regular days, but our fun shoots are always crowded, our registered shoots have good turnouts, and we sign up a fair number of new members during our leagues. Maybe things will slow up when we must raise prices for shells and such. Right now we still have a lot of Estates, Gun Clubs, Top Guns we are selling for $4.75, but when we have to restock, it will likely go up.

16. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Our club is doing well thanks to the efforts of volunteers and enthusiastic management. Another club in Alberta has a very successful League because of sponsorship from the small local Oil Field Service companies in the area.

17. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Not well at all. As Pat pointed out one of the problems is the targets are never set properly. If anybody says anything they become defensive immediately and refuse to even consider changing them. They don't have many volunteers mostly because they have chased them away. They compensate for the lack of volunteers and lack of participation by raising the prices. When they raise the prices and throw bad targets they get less participation and less volunteers and the circle continues. This will continue until there is nothing left but bare bones then out of nowhere new people will step forward and a few years later it will return to it's old glory. This is the history and future of all gun clubs that I have seen in my lifetime. Maybe I should say all club owned ranges. Ranges owned by individuals don't have this problem because the must respond to reduced income much faster and make changes or they go away. As a friend of mine says "all gun clubs should be privately owned". If they were we would have much better places to shoot but, I fear, not nearly as many.

jim brown

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You sometimes get what you pay for. If you are paying less than $100 a year in dues don't expect too much. The dues at my club are over $1000 per year, there are over 200 people on the waiting list to get in. Believe me it is well worth the money. HMB

19. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Markham in S.E Florida is doing great. We throw about 200,000 registered ATA targets a year. Our fees are not inexpensive, 100 singles are $38, each succeding event is $25/100, options are extra of course. Shoot all three events with all options and it's $153. Practice is $7/25. Being the only game in a 50 mile radius doesn't hurt either.

We as a club have none of the usual expenses associated with running a gun club as the Markham range is county owned and operated. The trap, skeet and sporting clays operations gross about $1,750,000 per year.

Eric

20. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

R.I.P.

Rock

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.