1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Howell Gun Club official charged with EMBEZZLEMENT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Howell Gun Club official, wife, charged with embezzlement

BY LISA ROOSE-CHURCH • DAILY PRESS & ARGUS • October 21, 2010

The Livingston County prosecutor’s office has issued charges against the former treasurer for the Howell Gun Club for allegedly embezzling more than $50,000 from the organization.

District Court records show Melvin Roy Campbell, 52, and his wife, Gerlinda Campbell, 57, both of Westport, Ind., are charged with embezzling more than $50,000 but less than $100,000 from the gun club.

They are expected to appear November 12 for an arraignment, according to court records.

Sheriff Bob Bezotte said the couple is alleged to have stolen the money between 2004 and 2007.

The sheriff said the investigation revealed the couple embezzled around $100,000, but due to statute of limitations could only seek charges on a portion of the stolen money.

http://www.livingstondaily.com/article/20101021/NEWS01/101021026/Howell-Gun-Club-official-wife-charged-with-embezzlement-

2. JOND

JOND TS Member

Is this gun club located in Michigan? JOND

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Yes Jon, Howell Michigan. I have shot there but it was years ago

4. JOND

JOND TS Member

Thanks for the info! JOND

5. 1166

1166 Member

Good work: Maybe more gun clubs need to be looked at.Any one know the process to use in order to catch these criminals. There is an old but true saying, CASH IS STICKEY>

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

Wrong informaiton. Here is a notice I received.

Don Verna

Dear Don,

The Howell Gun Club is not being investigated.

Erroneous Information Given to the Media

The media has obtained erroneous information from the Livingston County Sherriff's office regarding an embezzlement investigation into a member of the Livingston Gun Club. What appears to have happened is that the Livingston County Sheriff's office used the name of Howell Gun Club during interviews with the media. It is our understanding that the investigation stems from activities at the Livingston Gun Club from 2004-2007 involving the former treasurer, Mel Cambell, and his wife who are in no way affiliated with the Howell Gun Club. We have contacted the Livingston County Sherriff's office as well as the Livingston County Press-Argus for retraction and apologies.

If you have any questions you may email me, treasurer@howellgunclub.org, or contact our President, president@howellgunclub.org, for more information.

Sincerely,

John Bell

Treasurer

Howell Gun Club

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Wow, Thats a costly error

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

Howell is a great club as it offers a lot. Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun. It has a 300 yard rifle range - which is something not easily found in SE Michigan.

Only two Trap fields but they shoot under the lights so it is good practice for Grand shoot-offs. They have a traveling Trap League. I hope to able to play with them this year.

I am glad the issue was at another club. Many nice folks at HGC. BigMPerazzi and Goldex shoot there. I slipped in as a pistol shooter or they would have likely rejected my membership application.

Don Verna

9. JOND

JOND TS Member

Glad it was not the Howell Gun Club! Howell club is great for trapshooters! JOND

10. ontariogal

ontariogal Member

Is there anyone on TS.com from the Livingston Gun Club who can shed some light onto how the crooks were finally nabbed? I would be most interested in learning more.

many thanks,

b.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Our club bylaws require a complete audit of the club's books every year.

If this is done damage from such events can be minimized.

HM

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

halfmile, many clubs give lip service to their annual audits. Many eventually pay the price.

13. 1166

1166 Member

14. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I have served on the board of the Howell Gun Club for several years as both the Trap Chair as well as the club Secretary so I know a bit about the club. As Don Verna stated, the article was printed in error and the Howell Gun Club is not the club in question here. We are the largest gun club in Livingston county and likely the first name that popped into the head of the officer being interviewed by the press. The Livingston Gun Club is a little club north of the city of Brighton off of Hunter Road between Hyne and Hilton roads if you want to do a google map search. It shows up on the search. The Livingston County Press had better do some serious ass kissing on this one as we are extremly unhappy about it!

Jeff

15. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Hold their feet to the fire!

I had a running battle with our local paper over mis-printing class dates and times for our Hunter Ed. class'es.

Come to find out they had an "anti-hunter" in their ranks and she was doing it on purpose!!

Don't believe for one momment that your local rags are interested in the truth and nothing but the truth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.