1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How would you like your 1100 release trigger?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mr. Flinch, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

I will soon be building Remington 1100/1187/870 release triggers and I have a question for everyone that uses or plans to use a release in these models.

Do you like a positive "click" when you set the trigger similar to other releases in most break-open guns or would you prefer no sound and very little or no "click" feel upon setting the trigger? If you own a later Spears you know what I'm talking about concerning the "no click" type.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Mark.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Will you also be making pull triggers?

3. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

I will be happy to upgrade and tune pull triggers. I won't be building any triggers with steel casings though. I can supply a new unit or tune yours. The new ones will begin with new Remington units and I will work them from there. The steel Timney triggers are the only ones I know of that have their own casings; most others start with Remington to keep pricing lower.

You can PM me for special pricing depending on what you need. Thank you.

Mark

4. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I probably won't be buying any release triggers for the guns you mentioned. In fact, I sold one for an 870 about a year ago.

However, my preference is for a release trigger that makes an audible "click" when it's set. It doesn't really affect how they shoot (at least as far as I can tell), but I just like to know positively when the trigger has set. If nearby shooters can hear the click, that's OK too but not a requirement.

Easystreet

5. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I currently have a release on my 870. It doesn't click when it is set. I also have a release on my Ljutic and it does click when set. I much prefer the click.

Do you have an idea on what your triggers will cost? The one in my 870 is OK, but it's not a really good trigger. I'd like to upgrade.

6. kyskeet

kyskeet Member

Here is what I would be interested in. I really do not like the ergonoimics on the factory trigger (thin, small,set back in the trigger guard). What I would like is a tuned trigger (can supply one)with a trigger more in line with the trigger used on the old timney triggers (just a physically larger trigger). Any help PS the trigger shoes dont seem to work for me either.

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Agree with KYSkeet. I don't really mind that the factory trigger housing is aluminum, but the trigger is much too narrow (esp for the release guys).

8. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

PM sent

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

For your information the First Factory Release triggers for the Caesar Guerinis
    did not click on set, and shooters did not like it so they changed it to a positive click on setting.

I had the first release trigger installed in a CG and it was done here in Ohio
    almost 2 years before CG came out with theirs, and they looked at mine B4 building theirs.

Theirs was better as shells would eject, not lift them.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

USER1 the Schwab and Timney style releases you hear the hook drop if you got good hearing.

The hook pulls the sear from the hammer, this is a fine adjustment, you try not to get any creep, but the 870-1100-1187 are slow triggers.

I wish they could put this style in a Beretta, and reset the release w/o having to pull the bolt back.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I wonder if,(as per nra65) an 870 assembly could be used???? I do have a release for my 870 and it does have an audible click which I think I would prefer if I would ever have to go to a release. Still looking for a release for a Rem. M31 TC if anyone knows of one please PM me so I don't hi-jack this thread. Ross Puls

12. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

OK, Please feel free to express more opinions and thank you for you response so far. I do have designs for doing it both ways but there is a tradeoff. I've not seen nor do I have a design that will give a true click like a break-open gun yet still have the 870 style disconnect. The disconnect only works on the design that has little or no click. So far almost all the feedback has been that the click is preferred (that's my preference too because I can make the trigger action work faster) but if you get a broken target or have any reason to not fire after setting the trigger you must reach for the lever and pull the bolt back (like on the Beretta). If anyone on here has in their posession a trigger that will do both I would be very interested in seeing the design.

It's really not much different from a break-open gun because if you want to disconnect the break-open gun you must open the action. I have also seen the 870 style disconnect malfunction where the gun still discharges even with the disconnect depressed.

One other feature not mentioned yet is that I can build the click type and keep the safety intact. Most non-clicks eliminate the safety. The safety won't disconnect a trigger already pulled but it can be used to prevent setting the trigger. That can be a good thing if you ever need a safety when not on the firing line.

I still would like more feedback please. Thank you.

13. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

When I did "try" to shoot the release in an 870 I learned (was taught) when a no fire situation occurred to hold the trigger tight and ALWAYS point the muzzle straight up-- hit the action bar release-- and shake the gun the action would fall open about an inch and hold the hammer down thus rendering it completely safe and disengage the trigger. You could then close the action & be ready to re-set the release when ready. CAUTION you might forget it's a release--- it WON'T. Don't ask, you already know the answer. Yes I'm still shooting a pull trigger. Ross Puls

14. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Mr. Flinch:

I have a 1100 with a Timney release. It sets with a click.
    (My preference) If I decide not to shoot- press up on the
    release and allow the trigger to go forward. It is not necessary
    to pull the bolt.

15. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

User 1. No, It's not like the early spears but similar. There is no more chance of it going full auto than any factory 1100. There won't be anything to interfere with normal sear movement. I know what you are talking about and grateful for your warning but nothing to worry about there. I'm not going to be showing any pictures yet only because everything I've done so far is prototype and somewhat rough-looking. I will be showing the product that I "release" (pun intended) when it is in marketing condition. Thanks.

Sky Buster. The Timney has it's own housing and, therefore, everything can be designed in from the beginning. Building a trigger assembly from the ground up is cost-prohibitive for me at this time. Thank you for posting.

16. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

What you are telling us is that if the 870 trigger makes a click, you must fire it. This is so because you can't pull the bolt back unless you press the slide release and you're telling us that won't work.

17. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

Rastoff, you make an excellent point. On the 870 with a click you must do as Ross explained above. The 870 slide release in the 870 gun does two things; it releases the action bar so it will slide back and it serves as a disconnect. On the 1100/1187 it only serves as a disconnect. If the release trigger is configured to work as in a break-open gun (a true click) the disconnect becomes useless once the trigger is pulled. You must pull the bolt back in order to release the trigger safely.

18. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

There is nothing difficult about having to reach across and pull the bolt back about half way with your left hand. I've done it many times as have many release trigger shooters who shoot autoloaders.

Easystreet

19. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I have 2 Timney releases for my 1100. One is a back up. My advise is... The "click" is OK, but it is just a function of the release arm falling into the sear. I don't always hear it and that's fine with me. I know the trigger "sets" every time I pull it, because I maintain my triggers to preform the way I want them to.

Your trigger, to really apeal to shooters, should have the wide trigger, not the little remington one. And of course... the 870 style lever to lift the release arm off the sear in case you need to start over is a must.

I would not advise you to design one where you need to hold the trigger back while you open the bolt to restart. I know many shooters can do that with ease, but if it was me I'd think of the few that are going to have PROBLEMS.

20. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

So, if I understand you correctly, the click type release for the 870 is a non starter.

I have no trouble with pulling the bolt back on an auto to keep it from firing. That is the way my Beretta 303/302 works. As a lefty, I have no trouble holding the trigger with my left as I pull the bolt back with my right.

Both Berettas click by the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.