1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

@@@ How would you grade this blank? @@@

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Treez-R-Us, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Treez-R-Us

Treez-R-Us TS Member

Select 75% the way the template is laid out in relation to the blank, does show hints of Franquette however due to what the figure, color and contrast, size of blank, the thickness and marbling shows me from one side to another its a piece of Old Growth English Walnut. Not a grafted (Claro/English)nut tree for profit.

Will be an outstanding piece for sure.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

My official conclusion on the exact grade of this wood is "very nice indeed". That is two grades above nice, and one grade above very nice.

Pat Ireland

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

English Walnut

just below exhibition but it might surprise you when finished- this could come out exhibition or WOW

regards from Iowa

Gene

PS--- small possibility this is something like pecan wood or some other exotic

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Damn Nice grade

5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

It appears to be English Walnut except that the grain is a bit too convoluted. Perhaps it is "stump" or "rotch" which would account for the swirling grain. If it indeed English Walnut, I would rate it AA or AAA since most English Walnut is straighhter grained and derives it s beauty from the color contrast.

6. Treez-R-Us

Treez-R-Us TS Member

Well it seems that the resident wood expert has spoken and not to turn this into a pi--ing contest and being since he is a sawyer I suggest that he take a closer look at what the grain tells.

7. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Whatever it is it is a hellova nice piece. I was thinking Turkish but I certainly will defer to Gordy. It looks like a nice thick piece as well so perfect for toe out or off set.

Make sure you post the finished stock if that takes place.

Smash Em,

Jerry

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Whatever it is, I sure would not mind having it.

Pat, you're a trip. You made me spew coffee all over the drawings in front of me when I read your grading system.

9. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Not the best....because of the vertical cracks it shows!

10. skip

skip Member

I like the floor it's laying on.

11. 1oz

1oz Member

DB who do you get your wood from?

thanks,
    jim

12. 1oz

1oz Member

B D Bill,

Thanks , I have been in the market for that 1 piece that just jumps out and says (I'm THE 1) as I'm doing this the second time around .1 st time didn't turn out the way I thought it should have or wanted it to . I have educated my myself on picking out quality wood and it still bothers me as this isn't cheap. I have noticed your gunstocks are very nice . In fact I would be proud to display any I have seen from you so far. And the way I look at it if you dont think you deserve it, who does. Thanks I talked to Cecil,Calico,Denli , east coast , west coast and some companies in Europe and a few others looking for that exhibition or that 1 of a kind that says (I'M IT).

13. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Gordon.....Don't you see those cracks? They ARE cracks or I'm a monkey's uncle! Well, what the hell....we're ALL monkey's uncles! Did you know that monkey's uncle's have cracks to? Bet you didn't know that! You're putting me on.....you STILL don't see them cracks?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.