1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How would YOU design a Trap/Skeet Club?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Crickets, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crickets

Crickets Member

If you were to build a trap and/or Skeet Club from the ground up what features would you include? Not a money's no object deal, but realistic features to attract not only die hard competition shooters, but new gun owners and family recreation types as well.

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

A minimum of of either 3 or 5 fields. So that doubles could be shot at any time during the day while the two-four other fields can be used to rotate squads through for singles/caps.

Nice and wide concrete pads for shooters to stand on, I was shooting on the practice fields @ VGC @ the PA State shoot and had to have my feet in the grass to get a proper stance.

A completely wireless speaker system so there weren't any wires/cords to deal with when setting up or moving the speakers around.

In house bar/grill that could be used during shoots/events.

Gun rentals for new shooters.

It would be well manicured, it should look like a fine golf course. NO rocks between the stations on the trap fields. I can picture rolling my ankle every time I switch stations at clubs that use rocks to fill the gaps.

Some type of computer scoring system would also be nice for super fast reporting of scores. Maybe some type of app for a device like the iPad that could be used to record/send scores.

3. Garry

Garry Active Member

The Cardinal Shooting Center on a much smaller scale.

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Vernal, Utah and The Vancouver, B.C. Trap Club both use a curved trapline...I've never shot at either but would like to know how those of you that have feel about those layouts....seems like an efficient use of space...

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The secret to keeping the sport of trapshooting alive is the creative use of TECHNOLOGY at our clubs!

For example, I would surround half the trap fields, and half the clubhouse, with one of those Invisible Fence things they use to keep dogs in the yard. Then I'd make all the grouchy Club Geezers choose between wearing the shock collars or paying triple.

The new shooters, women and nice Geezers could use the friendly side :)

-Gary

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Before anyone could answer that question intelligently, he would have to know the budget. That is always what it comes down to.

7. Crickets

Crickets Member

Budget? 400k - $500? up-fit cost not including property.

I think the facility will need a large Club house capable of setting 10 -20 6' round tables. A full catering facility - not ness. a "full kitchen". I would want the facility to be able to be used for "off site" business/ association meetings, special events etc, so some decent AV equipment. I envision 4 traps - 2 of them skeet/trap combo, one dedicated skeet. Maybe a bunker trap and a sporting clays course. A couple pavilions/ picnic areas. Good lights for night shooting.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If I was designing it there'd be 5-stand too.

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

What about a service tunnel connecting the traps to the storage area so that target can be brought to the traps and machines changed or serviced without stopping the shooting? Wouldn't that be great? That's what I mean about a budget. It is not just for the amenities like a clubhouse with round tables but also for the infrastructure.

10. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

shooting fields close to everything like Vandalia...not like Sparta. I love Sparta but miss the action being front and center!

milt

11. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

lmao GW22

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Money is always part of the equation. spending a bundle on kitchen facilities that will be used only several times a year steals from other needs.

Barring that, I would have shuttles to the fields, lockers and showers for the members, and a host of other goodies.

Brian, yes 5 stand. And a full sportie course.

A public address system that is designed for the facility instead of a bunch of Radio Shack mish mash.

A service road in front of the traps at a lower level, and houses that can hold a full pallet of traps. You can also have walk in doors on the trap houses that way. No more crawling in and out pain.

The list goes on........

HM

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

There would be shade and a sitting area behind every field. Shade shade and more shade to sit and discuss the world while waiting hours on end. A head that can accommodate more than two shooters at a time.

14. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: new gun owners and family recreation types as well.

Have Sporting clays, even if only a 50 target course to start.

I sometimes can't believe the number of families and or younger shooters I see at sporting clays courses on weekends just messing around and having a good time.

15. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

7 Trap fields facing north - one practice and for doubles on slow day, the rest ATA so 3 squads can start at a time.
    2 stand alone skeet fields ( a hate the ecko thing)
    14 station sporting clay course
    5 stand with each shooting post having a roof for rain or sun
    Lots of shade to hang out between shooting times
    Wide concrete to stand on
    "WIRELESS SPEAKERS"
    5 gas grills located accordingly to layout
    All computer scoring apps appropriate to game being shot
    Club house with good kitchen and seat 200
    Shaded covered comfortable picnic style tables stratigically placed
    Easy level parking on trap field line with lots of shade trees.
    A consistant regular youth league or program, if we don't trap is a dead game.

16. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I've seen several surveys that show the number 1 thing that keeps women away from shooting events is the lack of bathroom facilities. I would be sure an build some nice bathrooms.

17. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Joe P,
    That is what I find as well, a lot of families at Sporting clays. I think because you can go at your own pace on the course. Not the be here be there now push push push.

I know that is one of the things I like about sporting, it is not so regimented, but, is way more relaxed.

If you are on station 3 and go to 4 and there are 10 shooters waiting you can go to 5 and it's ok then catch 4 later.

This are some of the reasons I am shooting a 1000 sporting targets to 200 Trap.

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Not enough information to make an accurate proposal even in dreamland ... Budget is mandatory ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

Grub and level all of the shot fall zone.

20. VNVET

VNVET Member

First and most important is the facility must be private owned by one individual....no membership. This is to keep out the rifraf and whiners. Valet parking is a must. The trap lines must be covered from the rain and sun. No one likes to shoot in the hot sun or rain. Trap help should clean each customer's gun after shooting and stow it safely in their vehicle. Build it large enough so there's no waiting for an open field. Complimentary open bar after shooting. Computer controlled trap machines that automatically adjust itself and always throws perfect targets every time. Be sure to keep the target cost reasonable.......say $3 per round.

I almost forgot....big screen TV's on each field to watch the ball game between shots.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

desinging a skeeting and trap course

skeet club designs

trap club design

trap club designes