1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

how would you apply the money?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tuscarora 99, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

I have 500$ to buy ammo or whatever necessary for 3 months for shooting trap competitively. I was wondering how you guys would allot your money?

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Depending on how much you plan on shooting, the $500.00 will not cover your fees in 2 registered shoots, if you include motels, gas, meals, shells, and entry fees. Trying not to be negative here, but, it's reality. Figure it like this...... 5 event, 2 day shoot: Entry fees, (no options) $130.00 min., shells, 20 boxes at 5.00= $100.00, motel (1 night) $60.00, gas to get to shoot $50.00, food for 2 days, $50.00, add for incidentals another $50.00, and you are already at over $400.00 just for one shoot. It can, and does, get expensive real quick! That $500.00 will last you longer if you only shoot one or 2 events, but, the remainder of your costs are going to be pretty much the same except ammo..... Just my experience..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Use the money for real practice. Shoot at correct targets only.---Practice, & more practice. Registered shoots are expensive practice for most shooters. As previously stated $500.00 doesn't go far in trap shooting.

Lou

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Look for the Big 50's program locally and buy the cheapest ammo available.

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Take a clinic.

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

mmmmm---I opened this thread expecting you were referring to the $700,000,000,000.00 bailout?

I could use some of it........

7. pdq

pdq Member

Trap is a relatively inexpensive sport if shooting at a club level either for prizes or ATA registered targets. Playing a round of golf on a public course is more expensive both in terms of time and dollars. Add in all the balls you're going to lose, and clubs your going to throw in the lake, and it costs even more.

Plan to travel to a state or regional shoot for X days of shooting and the money goes up very quickly. I agree with a prior poster that $500 would probably cover one multi-day trip with decent food and a decent place to stay versus 90 days of shooting.

So, I'd alot it to 3 months of shooting on a local level where gas, food, and lodging wasn't a component, and as suggested by another, spend money at a clinic with Phil Kiner or one of the other well regarded teachers. I have not yet met anyone who took his clinic who said their scores went down or were the same. Excellent clinic.

Pete

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Pick 6 local shoots that would be evenly spread out over time over the next 3 months (2 per month). Pick one event at each of those shoots that is your favorite and enter it. Try to pick evnets that have added money, so that if you win them you'll have extra money for more shoots.

That's what I would do, anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.