1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Will Ammo Hoarding Effect us Trapshooters ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluskyshooter, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

How do you think this current ammo panic ... will affect us Trapshooters, financially, this season ? Specifically, the cost of factory shells and/or reloading components ? I hope it isnt as bad as I worry about. Wish I had stocked up on alot of reloading supplies !!

2. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

This season it may cost us. In future seasons it will mean bargains for us as we buy flat upon flat of ammo for peanuts from widow women. Mike

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You should be more worried about the anti-gunners who are trying to convince the ignorant that no one needs more than a hundred "bullets" at a time.

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

It's already started. Shotgun ammo is flying out of the warehouses. Lot's of back orders. They'll catch up but you should protect your ability to shoot.

5. open choke

open choke TS Member

Shotgun primers are almost impossible to find and powders are getting more and more scarece

6. Timbob44

Timbob44 Member

I was in Wal-Mart today and noticed that they raised the price on the Federal 4 packs by 2 dollars and 3 dollars on the Winchester 4 packs. And single boxs 1 dollar. Figures. Thanks, Tim

7. Bigcat

Bigcat Active Member

I noticed the same here Timbob. I picked up a four pack Wednesday morning, I was driving by yesterday and stopped in to grab another and the prices were all jacked up

8. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

open choke...I would have to assume that your report of 209 primers impossible to find is a local issue, as I just checked three sites and all had them in stock in one brand or another.

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Local shortages now-widespread shortages soon!!

10. rw993

rw993 Active Member

I think the run on shotgun shells is more likely to be in much Higher velocity and much larger shot than 7 or 8 shot. OOB is more likely.... RW

11. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

There ya go oleolliedawg, stir it up but good. Should we all run out today and buy everything we find...? How many times have we played this game already...?

:|

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It's the snowball effect. It will affect all aspects of the shooting sports before its over. I just hope there comes a time it does return to some form of normal for all of us. I know I can't afford to pay stupid prices for trap loads or loading supplies the way the centerfire/metallic is right now. I simply won't be shooting much if at all.

13. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Through the years I have always been a "hoarder" I guess, always buying in bulk to save money. I'm probably sitting on enough shot/wads/primers and factory shells to get me by for probably for the next 7 years. However when it comes to powder, I probably have about 6-12 month's worth. I hoarded, or stocked up when there was plenty around and when a deal could be found.

14. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've done the same thing for a long time - buy in bulk every time I have the extra cash. Due to taking advantage of Remington's rebates, I'm sitting on over 20 unopened flats of STS/Nitro shells and 13 flats of reloaded hulls that have several reloads left in them. I have some unopened sleeves of STS primers and about two cases of wads but I am down to one eight-pound jug of powder. The component that worries me is shot - I only have 47 bags left of 120 I bought years ago for an average price of about $16.00. I seriously don't know if I will be able to bring myself to pay the current going price for it when I exhaust what I have.

Before you criticize me for being a hoarder (which I know I am) and tell me how it is guys like me who make it hard for others to buy supplies, keep in mind that I used to be providing ammo for two shooters and old buying habits are hard to break.

Regardless, a net cost of $52 per flat for STS/Nitro shells is real hard to pass up.

Ed

15. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

It's ironic as Obama has no idea how to stimulate an economy but he has stimulated the shooting industries (by accident). Who would have think it??? Yes, it will effect all kinds of shooting sports as with the toilet paper hoarding which occurred in Hawaii back in the early 70's. I guess people are anal after all; just joking. I just checked Ebay, a new 10 round S & W magazine for a .22 pistol (fits a Model 41) has the high bidder at over $62.00; is that nuts, or what? BT100dc

16. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Is there any "real" reason for reloading supplies to go up ? Is 12ga shotgun powder or primers also used for metallic reloading ? Just curious - as I dont really know.

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Some powders that you load shotgun shells with may also be used for handgun loads. Green Dot is one I use for both 12ga, .44 Mag and .40 S&W. Green Dot is not my ideal choice for those handgun loads but when you have 8lbs of it and you are low on the others you make do with what you have.

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

MNGUNS, no need to stir anything up-it already is. Most major distributors have no ammo, rationed primers and some powder shortages. Alliant is currently promising nothing soon-Federal too. It's getting really ugly!!

19. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

To echo what Andy just posted, S&W and many other manufacturers are telling their distributors to order now for the fourth quarter of 2013 because their production until then is already spoken for.

I bought a lot of rifles and handguns over the past four years because I guessed (and it was just a guess) that even some of the higher prices we saw then would seem reasonable if Obama won a second term - and with the number of people depending upon government entitlements, that seemed very possible.

Now we are at a point where you can either buy quickly while you can or hope that prices come down and availability improves over the coming years.

Ed

20. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

CLAYS is used by a large number of Bullseye pistol shooters in 45 ACP loads, also UNIQUE is used in many cartridge loads for pistols, and TiteGroup is also a pistol powder with shotshell applications.

I have been informed that our Club's supplier has told us that he cannot fulfill our recent order of primers or powders entirely. Lead shot and wads are no problem but he is partially shipping our primers and powders at about 80% of our initial order, and will backorder and ship the balance when they are back in stock. This was the first time this has happened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hoarding reloading supplies forum