1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

how were the restroom facilities at the grand?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by quartering, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quartering

quartering Active Member

frankly, i've never been to any event, anywhere, where the restroom facilities were worth a, pardon the pun, s**t. i've just been wondering if, for the past 10 days, you guys were relegated to the blue water port o potties without running water or treated to executive restroom trailers like those of the clinton wedding. thanks

2. zinger

zinger Member

If you were down on banks 5-27 you used the port a potty, if you were up at the vendor building and weren't on the right end of a building, and you were a female, you were SOL!

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I think many of us were disappointed that they were not like they were in Vandalia where uniformed attendants were ever-present to hand you a warm towel or refresh your Cologne. And we miss the floor-to-ceiling picture windows in front of the urinals there (some more than others, I suppose) , but in general, I found them up to their intended purpose. Twice I entered the final 25 two down in Handicap and I sure enough, they worked.

Neil

4. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

As with anything in life, you need to plan ahead if you want/need porcelain and running water. The plumbed facilities were cleaned regularly and the porta-potties were cleaned also and had the alcohol dispensers for washing up. There were plumbed facilities in the event building and on the end of each vendor building. the total length of the trap line is 3 1/2 miles so bank 27 is a haul from the event building (closest plumbing).

5. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Neil,

I think I detect a slight bit of sarcasm in your response. Just a guess.

At this junction, and having served on several volunteer boards, it starts to be a major drag with everything wrong. Nothing is ever right, and those who have never served are always handy with sage advice.

While I never had the pleasure of Vandalia, I suspect Sparta won't be on my bucket list. It is no doubt a great place to shoot, but between the heat and remote location to civilization, it would be hard for me to get the wife to go. Perhaps if we join the RV set, that would be possible. But still, I melt easily.

There are no doubt reasons that target year is locked into the time frame it is. Someday that might change, but until, I respect your service, and wish all shooters that can make to the "Grand" event the very best.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Well, unfortunately, it was clear upon view, a large diversity in digestive functions in the porta-johns

7. al391

al391 TS Member

I was there, the porta-potties were clean every day. The bathroom facilities in the "no mans land" were relativly clean. I would give the DNR a "B". Overall? too big, with a layout that isn't condusive to meeting friends or watching shooters as you walk or ride the tram as in Ohio. My 2 cents. I miss Vandalia, and it's crowdedness (is that a word?)

Jack

8. RLC323

RLC323 Member

All sarcasm aside, I still believe there is a need for permanent facilities on the west end. These could double as storm shelters and with a roofed porch and a few benches on the north side you could even call them shade.

During the Thursday storm the trap help were sent to the traphouses for safety. The rest of us paying customers headed for our vehicles, not exactly an ideal place.

Since the facility is Il state owned and ran, the odds of permanent johns going up at Sparta are slim. So get used to Johnny-on-the-spot.

9. BigM-Perazzi

Sorry, I apologize "John"

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

As was said, I used the "potty" a couple of times at banks 12/13 and they were clean and "smesh frelling". I also took an opportunity to use the shower facilities - clean, concrete flooring with Corian sinks...

Couldn't complain about either...

Jay

11. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

<blockquote> al391: <i>" ... I miss Vandalia, and it's crowdedness (is that a word?)"</i></blockquote>

Jack, I think you hit on exactly the key memory that causes sooooo much angst ... objectively, Vandalia WAS an ill-maintained tumbledown dump and all-around armpit very unsuitable for shooting (and little else, either) ... but it was close, intimate, friendly and ... home.

Sparta is not 'manageable' in human dimensions, yet, but I suspect it will be.

Bob

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I loved Vandalia. I knew every nook and cranny but I'll never miss the men's rooms.

13. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Neil, I try my best to be funny and you just caused me to bust a gut without even trying. Did they have separate facilities for the long yardage guys? Which way is the proper way to turn when leaving the end urinal? In my old age sometimes I have to resort to a release trigger, is that legal? I'm extra careful in the public restrooms not to have a double fire, it's a mess to clean up and puts the others in a foul mood. One last question, is there any foot faults? I'm careful to take a narrow stance cause I heard there was some of those guys that shoot for the low house there.

14. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the young Asian ladies who bathed us in Vandalia. As far a Sparta's facilities, I was somewhat disappointed in the quality of the toilet paper...and the large mint in the urinal tasted kinda bitter.

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The restrooms at Sparta are a bit more spartan than Neil's recollection of Vandalia. But compared to Vandalia, they are Grand.

16. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

OK.....How about a caption contest. Photoshoppers, start your engines! Decorate the outhouse and hang your favorite signs on the doors.

<a href="http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i296/3miles/?action=view&current=two-story-outhouse-200.jpg" target="_blank"> two-story-outhouse-200.jpg </a>

17. BigM-Perazzi

Well, of course I see the ladder for We backfence guys.....lol

bigmperazzi_2008_030311.jpg

18. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

No nearly as full of S**T as those in Ohio!

ss

19. acre44

acre44 Member

Do you believe I had to hold my own at the urinal at Sparta? This never happened out at Vandalia.

20. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

The east end got crappy after the storm Thursday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.