1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How were Model 12 trap guns bought in 40's & 50's

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

How were Model 12 trap guns bought in 40

Can anyone describe how a new Model 12 trap gun would have been typically purchased in the 1940's and 1950's.

Were they available off the shelf at Sears and Mongomery Ward?

Were they special ordered from the local gun shop?

Were they ordered through the mail from Winchester?

2. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Off the shelf at good gun stores. Available from national gun outlets like Simmons. Local gun wholesalers had them in stock both for retailers and individuals who dealt with those wholesalers. This individual dealing with wholesalers pretty much ended with the Gun Control Act of 1968. The Model 12 Trap was a pretty common gun on gun shop shelves before 1964.

3. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Back in the 50s there was a hardware store in downtown Cols, O. called Halls Hdw.

It was one of those stores where you entered down steps from the front sidewalk.

When you entered it was euphoria. Anything and everything. Model airplanes, guns, ammo and hardware of all descriptions.

This was before gun laws took over and most guns I saw were either gun shops or hdw. stores. Sears, Mont. Ward, Western Auto had about anything, including their private labels, (most american made).

I dont think you could purchase guns direct from the factory, but you could return them for repair, no hassle

Regards....Gerald

4. Bushmaster1313

I am told that to make and sell a Model 12 today would result in a $5,000+ retail gun.

I do not see many $5,000 guns on the shelf at the retail stores today.

How nice it must have been to walk into a regular store and see great guns on the shelf ready to buy!

5. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Remember, wages were low in the post war period.

If you were the average Jo and brought home 100.00 a week you could live pretty good.

Model 12s , if I recall, sold for more money, so if you bought a 50.00 shotgun back then that was an expensive purchase.

Regards....Gerald

6. Bushmaster1313

If a person makes 52,000 per year that turns into 1,000 per week.

Nothing approaching a Model 12 can be purchased today for one week's gross earnings and certainly not for 500.

You can, however, get a really nice used Ithaca 37 for $250 and a good Model 12 field grade for under $350.

7. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Where did the $5000 come from? The Japs just made a batch of Model 12s and 42s that sold for a few hundred bucks and you can still get a new one for about the same. I think the price of a Model 12 two pin trap in 1955 was about $240.

8. sx1skeet

sx1skeet TS Member

The jap made gun's wernt hand fitted or to the quilty of the origanls. It was onces said that to build a SX1 now it would cost around $3500.00 so I can see were it would cost 5k for a model 12.

9. Bushmaster1313

Average Joe's were buying Model 12's, as evidenced by how many were sold and how hard they were used.

I think we can all agree that average Joe's today cannot go into the store and buying anything that is nearly as good as a Model 12.

I do not think you can go into a Dicks or a Cabelas and find anything nearly as good as a Model 12.

The only thing that I think may come close is the new Ohio Ithacas at about $1,000, although I have not seen one for myself.

10. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

There was a gunsmith in our hometown who's eyesight was going and he called my Dad in 61 and wanted to talk to him. I went with my Dad and this old man told my Dad he wanted to sell him his trap gun. The model 12 Winchester trap that he had and I remember my Dad telling him he couldn't afford it. Then the old man grinned and told him he wasn't selling at market price but a favor to my Dad because he said "You're the only guy I have ever met who know's how to shoot and likes it as much as I do. I'll give you the gun for what I paid for it new and I'm a dealer." I believe that was 125 all those years ago. He could have gotten more just selling on the shelf at his store, but he didn't. When we were getting back in the truck my Dad stopped and looked that model 12 over again and told me to always speak to Cecil Grandfield and ask him how's he doing cause he just did me a big favor. I still have that gun I'll betcha a dump truck couldn't haul the hulls that's been shucked out of it. Dan

11. Bushmaster1313

Sarge:

I was looking for information about the Model 12 because I would like to know.

I thought one of the posts said that a Model 12 could have been had for about a weeks wages, but I may have misread it.

I am not pretending to know anything I do not and I would really like to know how many weeks or months or even years it would have taken the average wage earner to buy a Model 12 in the 1950.s

Lou

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

You're right about that Dan. It was early to mid 60's that a friend found for me a Mdl 12 trap, the old duck bill nickel steel made in the late 20's. It cost $230 which was a good deal at the time, but also a very serious purchase for a young fellow with a growing family. I didn't dare tell Mother what it cost.LOL Good memories, Bob

13. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I can remember in the early 50's. (I think) Maybe even the late 40's.

I would always look at the Sears or Montgomery Ward Catalogs whenever we got one in the mail.

I saw Model 12's advertised as Trap guns and wonder................What the hell is a Trap gun" At that time, I was more into .22 rifles and six gun pistols.

Many years later...........I found out just what they were.

I still have two of them around here somewhere. lol

Hauxfan!

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Lou I put a website address above they might have the answers you are seeking. They have a forum and other resources to try to research the answers

They however do have a yearly fee of $45 so you will have to decide how much you wish to know. If it is $45 worth then it would be right up your ally.

Hope this helps best I can do. As for the time frame you are seeking answers for M-12's were only dreams in a young boys mind.

Bob Lawless

15. teddytheyorkie

teddytheyorkie TS Member

I was talking to my father in law, who had a friend who bought a model 12 in a hardware store in the late 50's, he paid $75 - $80 for it. He had a trap stock and a ventilated rib on it later.

16. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I can't speak from personal experience about buying guns in the '50s, because I was still in grade school. However I was in high school/college in the '60s and was beginning to be aware of prices and such. My first job was working in the cafeteria/kitchen of a local hospital while still in high school. If I remember correctly, I was paid $0.90 per hour, minimum wage. It had just increased from $0.75.

The first gun I bought was a surplus .303 Lee Enfield, $20 at the local hardware store, about 1964. A couple of years later I bought a Model 98 Oberndorff Mauser in 7.65 for $25. My first new gun was a Remington 700 ADL in 7 mm Remington Magnum, about $139 in 1966. I bought a new Beretta 20 gauge Silver Snipe about 1969 for $198. It was an O/U, nonselective trigger, 28" barrels. I couldn't afford a new Belgium Browning Superposed for $400. I bought a new Ruger 77 in 7x57 in 1974 for about $145, and a new Bicentennial Ruger #1 in 6 mm Remington in 1976 for $265. Shortly after that we had President Carter and prices have escalated ever since.

17. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

These guys could pick your pockets clean at any tournament. This one was held
    at the old Port Angeles Gun Club in Port Angeles, Washington. Left to right were
    George Young, Guy Chiesman, O. N. Ford, Ned Lilly, Bob Coffey, Frank Troeh,
    Joe Hiestand and Ted Renfro. Photo dates to very early 1930s.
    (Photograph property of the Trapshooting Hall of Fame)

These were the hot shots of the day. Not many Mod.12's pictured.

18. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Dan ,

Did that Cecil Grandfiled live in Vandalia Ill.

The Cecil Grandfield I knew had a shop in the basement of his house and worked for the VA.

ed.

19. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Some time after WW2 my father-in-law and his friend both purchased Model 12's. He bought a field grade 12 gauge gun with a modified choke. His friend, who had more to spend, purchased a 2 barrel Pigeon grade gun with a vent rib. He later added a Poly-Choke to his gun, a testament to his "one gun does it all" belief. His friend later sold his gun but my father-in-law always liked his too much to part with. I remember him saying he paid around $80 for his field gun and his friend paid over $300 for his Pigeon gun with the extra barrel. When he was in his late 70's he gave me his $80 Model 12 and I wouldn't take a million dollars for it today.

20. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Bushmaster---You need to check Cabelas fine guns room. You name it its there so to speak.----Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best trap gun 1950