1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How was your opening day Dove shoot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Sep 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I was pleasantly surprised at the number of birds this early in the season but most were young birds and were quite small. I suspicioned that I would be shooting at high flying birds at the place I was able to hunt and was correct. I should have taken a full choke I guess but used a modified. It took me forty shells to get my limit of 15 birds. LOL Oh well, it was a lot of fun anyway but was so hot(93) I worried about my retriever(11yr old Daple Datsun) but I kept giving him water and he was ok. I think he loves it almost as much as I do. Hope your hunt went well and wish you all a safe and productive season. Jackie B.

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Brutally hot... few flyers, count 'em on one hand... I was meeeeeeeeeeeeelting...

Jay

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I hunt with my Wires in California's Imperial Valley so I'm limited to hunting the canals, so my dogs can stay cool. They love it. There were adequate numbers of birds where I was but they were thinly spread and not flying any particular route so I just had to stay out in the heat and scratch them down one by one. I got 8, I just couldn't find those last two. I was interviwed by the Imperial Valley Press and videoed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Not so good as you can see by what's in my mouth.

[​IMG]

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Where are you hunting. Jackie B.

6. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Opening day, East of Yuma AZ, no Morning Doves, just Eurasian and White Wings..limited out by 7:30am...Doves by the dozen!...limit in under a box, nbothing like it...Next weekend it will be a whole different ballgame, HIGH 70mph zooming birds!...LarryB

7. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Mountians of western MD, got my limit thur and fri, didn't go on sat. Joe

8. jliveng1

jliveng1 TS Member

Opening day was almost to hot to hunt in Buckeye. Decent amount of birds mainly eurasians and some white wings. The morning doves were on the small size.

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

80 at 7:00 am on Friday, 54 tomorrow at 7:00 am tomorrow. Hmmm.

10. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Yuma Az..7am=79....2pm=117.....

11. Setterman

ya, but it's a dry heat.

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Rode the bicycle on the Natchez Trace yesterday, and got hit with a load of shot from a dove hunter who was MUCH too close to a Federal Park, if not inside it.

Got quite a few welts (I wear Decot shooting glasses when I ride), had a civil talk with the hunter, and rode on. No profanity, no threats, it was almost too hot to ride. It was too hot to hunt. Around 97 with substantial humidity.

I was thinking, I belong to three clubs, service their machines, train shooters, and damned if I didn't get shot many miles from a gun club, in a Federal Park. LOL

13. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

Had 10 shooters on my place opening day. Total doves retrieved was 135 with 12 lost even though we had a good dog. Third year I've shot on my place over sunflowers (2+ acres) split into two fields on different sides of my farm.

Hottest day in central Ky since sept 6, 1954. We topped out at 99 degrees with high humidity. Had several cold ones in my pole barn with large fan running and had snacks and watched our last three years home videos of deer, dove, and dove hunting Argentina followed by agreat cook-out with all the sides about 8:30 PM. Were in the field from 4:00PM till 6:00 PM. I like to clear the field and let the birds feed so we can have a second shoot.

Great Day with Great Friends!

Eddie Quire

14. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

All 3 of us maxed out in an hour here in Pa. Lots of fun, sure is Fun to work with a good dog.

15. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

DANG COACH>>> whats the odds..
    My daughter and I took home 30.. had a wonderful time.. she was smoking them with my old citori!

[​IMG]

16. RRA

RRA TS Member

Utah Opening Day Dove Hunt. We hunted about an hour and brought home 19 doves.

[​IMG]

17. Setterman

blkcloud, It is always good to see someone keep the tradition in the family.
    Opening day of Dove is a National Holiday at our house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.