1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How was it, dove hunters?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 22hornet, Sep 2, 2013.

1. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I had to work yesterday morning, but we had a great shoot last evening. Best we've had in years. The M-12 20 gauge had a good workout! How did everybody else do?

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

They are few and far between this year here in NE Texas

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

3 different groups I know limited out yerterday and today in NW Ohio.

4. OhioSkeetShooter

OhioSkeetShooter Member

I didn't think to bring many shells, but I got 2 yesterday in the last 30 minutes of light before I ran out of shells. North Central Ohio area.

5. psfive

psfive Member

Our group of four hunters took home 38 from sunrise to about ten o clock when it just died. Paul in GINebraska.

6. 16gun

16gun Member

Son in law and I bagged 17 in two hours yesterday then left to keep from overshooting the field. Two other hunters took about 20 birds on the other side of the field. Average number of birds seen. This was in central Ohio. Jerry

7. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

Sunflowers are working like magic in IA. Over 600 Doves were killed in the field I was in yesterday morning. Just over 2 hours to get my 15. Much slower this morning. May go back this afternoon to get the last 6.

Maltz

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Could Y'all scare a few of them down south LOL

And while you are at it send down some rain

9. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

2 of us killed 16 in NE last night. Too much water, they can get a drink anywhere they want- 65 miles the other way our duck pond is bone dry.

10. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

PLENTY of birds this morning. One small problem. A member of our skeet club leases the fields. We pay a modest fee and he donates it to his church. He selects who hunts. He didn't invite half the people there.....but was nice about it and said little. We have been doing this for years. One of the best year to year hunts I have ever seen. We even get ice cream delivered in the fields and a cook out for lunch. I know some people that won't ever be back. The GOLDEN rule is when you are a invitee you do NOT invite without permission. I sat around and watched a little, paid my fee and went home to do some farming I needed to get done.

I have to go get my decoys off the lines this evening. I hope they enjoyed them.

11. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Merlyn's friend near California,MO had a good shoot. 13 hunters limited out (15 limit) and 1 got 6 (a youth). Over sunflowers. pay daily fee of $75. Worth it!

milt

12. C-Money

C-Money Member

Limit opening evening. Lots of birds!!

13. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Suburban Philadelphia... Small neighborhood with numerous houses.

I pulled into my driveway this AM and about forty birds flew away - they had been eating grit/gravel off the drive...

14. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

All of our doves have scattered around here west of Amarillo. Didn't hunt today, as we were weaning calves etc. We are dry again, and the dove will follow the feed and moisture here. There are some left, but not big numbers like previous years.

15. psfive

psfive Member

there are lots of birds in my area. Just not in the usual spots. We'll find them and then take some more home for the table. Paul in GINebraska.

16. cafowler

cafowler Member

30 for 5 guys yesterday morning. A friends grandson had his 1st dove hunt is hooked, shot about 2 boxes for his 5, he doesn't shoot much, but said he had a great time. Shot around some stagnant water in a dry creek bed, but most birds came out of an orchard 1/4 mi away and skirted the water heading up stream. Some sucked into the mojo. 1st bird of the morning materialized out of thin air in the early light and landed 10' in front of 2 of us while we watched and scambled to grab our guns. "Early season rookie moves" get worked out of the system now. Good day, we all get together for dove dinner next weekend, bacon wrapped dove, bacon/blue cheese potatoe salad, some filets and good wine, It's bird season again and life is good. Long weekend, but it felt good to be out in the field again.