1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to "Wear -in" a new over/under shotgun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomlieb, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

I recently bought a new Condor 20 ga O/U for my grandson to shoot. It isn't an expensive gun, but its only 38" overall and has a short stock so it fits him (9 years old) fairly well in size and weight. The problem is that it is very stiff and it takes a lot of strength to open and close the action. In most guns, this wears in over time and with a lot of use. My problem is that I want to get it worn in now. Just using a lubricant and opening and closing the action until I get tired isn't getting it done. Is there an oil or compound that will accelerate this process? I don't care about wearing it out, he will outgrow the gun before I get it broken in without some help here.
    Thank you,
    Tom

2. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

How to

Some kind of lapping compound should do the trick. I have never tried this method but my dad said he uses it on his ljutic after he gets it refinished every few years. BYG

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

How to

Mix some jeweler's rouge with your grease or oil.

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

How to

Remember to wipe off the lapping compound and renew it during the wearing-in process. Then wipe it clean and replace with plain grease.

5. hwy13

hwy13 Member

How to

Hello Tomlieb,

This is what I did to " improve " the opening & closing of my O/U ,
    I filed off some of the lug.

It might / would be a good idea to check with a gunsmith first, anyhow go
    slow & remove a small amount of metal at a time, Good Luck.

hwy13_2010_200834.jpg

hwy13_2010_200835.jpg

6. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

How to

Do exactly what hwy13 suggests. Lapping compound will penetrate into the guns precision parts and accelerate wear rapidly.

Take a fine file, a hone or coarse sharpening stone is even better, and very slowly/carefully remove small amounts of metal from the barrel lug where it contacts the forend slot. Be careful not to remove too much all at once. A little removed will make a big difference. This method will not cause any accelerated wear anywhere else on the gun. Marc

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

How to

Do a spring check. Open the gun after it has been fired, then close it. Open it again without firing it. Was it easier to open? If it was easy to open you need to put some weaker or shorter springs in the gun. Then it will be easy to open. HMB

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

How to

I agree with Bill. Just be patient. The Stoeger will be broken in in no time flat....maybe a little too broken in.

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

How to

I too say just shoot it as is and keep fresh grease on all wear (metal to metal) points. Let it break in normally. You can always trade it to someone for a well broken in gun if you like. LOL break em all Jeff

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

How to

hwy13 has it. I bought a 4 barrel Citori skeet set, and the action was good with one barrel, and stiff with the others.

Filing the tang does not affect the lock up, since that is accomplished by the underlug.

The tang is putting pressure on the forend iron, and that's what makes the stiffness.

If you don't loosen the fit, you risk galling the mating surfaces. Not earth shaking on an inexpensive gun, but I have seen many BT99's ruined by inattention to this condition.

Use a #6 mill bastard file, and carefully just remove a few strokes at a time. Be sure you hold the file square and you will be good to go.

HM

11. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

How to

Hey Guys, get some STP or engine assembly lube. Apply to hinge points and you will be suprised how easily the gun will open and close. This is a tip that Gene put on here a while back, wife was having hard time with new K-80. Couldn't believe the difference it made. Jake

12. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

This is a rumor, I don't know if its true or not. Some where I was told to cover moving parts with FLITZ--the person referred to it as the " poor nan's action job"- I kinda think it would work.

Phil Berkowitz

13. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

How to

Flitz would act as a mild lapping compound. Would not want it on my precisionly machined parts. Marc

14. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

How to

Maybe an old wives tail but the guys at my club told me to use toothpaste. The grit in some toothpaste is Diatomaceous earth which is a mild polishing compound. It's also used in pool filtration. Dave T.

15. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

How to

Absolutely what HWY13 sets out. That is quick and easy and is true for any gun I ever saw. And it is exactly what a REAL gunsmith would do if you took it to one.

Putting any kind of grinding compound in a gun is evil.

16. big joe

big joe Member

How to

HWY13 has it right ....BUT I filed on the hole thats on the plate in the forearm wood that the barrel lug fits into. I used an automotive points file as it was a perfect fit.

I figured if I goofed it up it would be easier to get a new plate than fix the barrel.

Joe

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

How to

The problem is not with the mating surfaces, you have to understand.

It's the fact that the tang pushes too hard on the forend iron.

You can do big joe's method too for the same results. Just remove a little, try the fit, remove a little more, etc till the gun almost but not quite falls open. Filing the tang is a little easier because it's a falt surface, the orifice has corners, and you have to make sure you file it squarely.

I think we're done here.

HM

18. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

How to

Hwy 13 and half mile,
    Thank you very much, you were exactly right, I just filed a little bit and it worked much better. I filed very carefully until it worked just right. A five minute fix thanks to you guys.
    Tom

19. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

How to

What Hwy 13 said,

20. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

How to

Go ahead and file on it to loosen it up. You are not really accelerating wear. Gun manufacturers don't know anything about building a gun. All of you are much smarter. New guns are tight for no good reason at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
break open shotgun filing

how to correct a stiff opening over and under shotgun

how to fix over and under open breaking meganisasie

how to loosen over and under shotgun
over and under hard to open
over under shotgun action is stiff

over under shotgun stiff

shotgun with a stiff action