1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

how to use adjustable comb?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bodybuilder, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I Just got my first trap gun with an adjustable comb, Can someone tell me how it works and why it is important? Up till now my guns have only had MC stocks. Thanks!

2. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Type "adjustable comb" in for a search. ..you'll get your answers.

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Adjustable combs are adjusted to improve gun fit. It's not something that needs to be fiddled with every time you shoot. It's really the low buck version of a custom-made stock.

The comb is raised or lowered to change the point of impact of the shot string. Raise the comb, gun shoots higher. Some shooters shoot better when they can point right at the target while others like to see some space between the barrel and the target.

The comb is offset to allow the shooter to keep their head/eyes level when the gun is mounted. If you find you have to force your cheek into the stock or if you have to roll your head over the top of the stock to look straight down the rib move the comb away from your head.

Check the comb before and after you adjust it to make sure that the top of the comb remains parallel with the top of the rib and that the centerline of the comb remains parallel with the centerline of the rib. Once it's adjusted properly, leave it alone.

Morgan

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The main purpose of the adjustable comb seems to be so that when a shooter finally runs a hundred straight or so, he can adjust the comb for "better breaks".

Once he gets better breaks, then he must adjust it again to compensate for a headwind.

After he shoots in a tailwind, of course the comb must be adjusted again. When he tries another wad and deepens the crimp, it is again time to fine tune the comb.

That new shooting shirt makes it MANDATORY to further tune the comb.

When the adjustment screws have been rounded, he must replace them, and of course start over adjusting the comb.

5. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"When the adjustment screws have been rounded, he must replace them, and of course start over adjusting the comb."

Someone told me that a really good adjustable comb had special screws that would take only as much use as was necessary to achieve the proper adjustment and when the screws rounded out you knew you had it right and that's where you left it!

Morgan

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Since we are talking adjustable combs I have a question also. I have my comb set as low as it will go and must press firmly against the comb and still see a figure eight which some say is good. At any rate, nothing I can do allows me to look straight down the rib. This is on a BT-99 with gracoil. Any suggestions? Jackie B.

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

<center>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    </center> Top picture shows the inpact of my comb at lowest adjustment 2nd picture shows impact as I raised the comb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.