1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to tune a new gun to shoot where you look!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I once purchased a new gun BT99 made prior to 1976 by mail without being able to first shoulder and shoot the gun. It was a big mistake on my part as I could never get the gun to shoot where I looked. The stock was for a right hand shooter, and I am left handed. Even though I saw a figure 8 the barrel shot way to high for me. In attempting to lower the comb as low as I could go and still see the beads, the barrel still shot to high for me. I took a big financial loss on this particular gun when reselling it. Over the years I finally decided to only purchase a gun that I am able to shoot before I purchase it. Than all I have to do is shorten the stock to my lop, make alterations to the pistol grip so I can reach the trigger, and that's about it.

How do you guys and gals tune in a new gun to shoot where you look when your new gun arrives and let's say it doesn't fit or shoot where you look. Do you follow a standard procedure that you go through when taking it out of the box and get it to shoot good where you look?
    Steve Balistreri

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I shoot straight away targets from the 16 yard line at post 3. First I work on the elevation adjustment by raising the comb until I'm knocking the tops off the targets then I lower the comb until I'm chipping the bottoms ... .then split the difference. Same thing for windage. Depending on your gun you might do this with rib adjustments or butt pad adjustments too.

Then go shoot some legit targets and settle into the gun and repeat the 'zero' check on straight aways from post 3 in a few weeks. Probably the most difficult part to all this is getting a trap to yourself for the required period of time.

3. senior smoke

What you all say makes sense. Years ago when I purchased this gun adjustable stocks were rather new to the shooting seen and to my knowledge there were no adjustable ribs. After I had shaved the stock down I then found out about a guy who would bend the stock, which was new to me at the time. Over the years I have had a couple guns that no matter what I did I could not make them break targets consistently. I would pattern the gun, I thought I knew what the poi was, but breaking targets was hard to do. One thing that I will admit to is that I have a terrible stance. Shooting for so many years with my particular stance has been very very hard to change. I wonder how important proper gun stance is to actually fitting a gun to a particular shooter? It is probably more important than I think. I remember reading a book years ago by a well known all American that mentioned he paid to have a new stock made years ago, but at the time he had a different stance. Years later when he shouldered the gun he could not believe that gun stock ever fit him at the time.
    Steve

4. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Smoke;

If you want to be certain the gun will shoot where you
    look, make sure it has a adjustable rib and comb.

5. JTEA

JTEA Member

After several custom ordered guns which were not exact copies (even sent guns out to be copied) I have learned to appreciate the ability to "trial shoot" before purchase. If you're lucky it will be as new and you'll also save a few $. I could tell stories about a friend's experiences - got a left hand stock made from a prime piece of wood he had cherished for 30 years. Requested a 100 over pattern and got a 50 / 50 rib - I shot it as well and it was worthless to him etc.

I would not shoot trap without an adjustable comb. I use a 1/8 adjustable plate to set the pad and change it around, plus try different pads. Once you're getting into the ballpark, TAKE ACCURATE MEASUREMENTS from the RIB, and keep a record. Get a dead straight wooden yardstick or metal straight edge. Get your drop at comb, pad, check the pitch with the pad removed and measure, measure. I measure from the rib to the top recoil pad HOLE as it's the most accurate measure.

Shoot post 3, as mentioned, and then try the angles on 1 and 5 to see if it's too short or long. Too long you won't get angles, too short you'll "fall through" straight-aways.

JT

6. senior smoke

Jtea:
    Good advice, I have a friend who will make me an adjustable comb for just the cost of the hardware and a breakfast. I had a model 12 trap years ago that came with an adjustable comb and found myself constantly changing spacers when I missed targets. Hopefully once I get it set I will keep it there. Recently I sold all my 870's except for 3 nice ones for my grand kids. I just picked up a 870 3 inch magnum for $150.00 and I had some trap wood that was laying around. I sold the 3 inch 870 barrel and the wood that came with the gun for the same price, so the gun cost me nothing. I guess I will spring for an adjustable stock now.
    Steve

7. alant

alant TS Supporters TS Supporters

Senior Smoke,

If you get that adjustable comb on that 870, let me know and I will send you an assortment of spacers to put over the posts. We'll call it even for all the great stories of you and Luther. Did you ever get the book printed?

Thanks, Alan

8. senior smoke

alant:
    Book was finished 3 months ago, 120 stories of 30 years two friends traveling to shoots. So far no takers. If worse comes to worse I will just pay the cost to have copies made into a book. I need to work out the financial arrangements first. I will let you know when I get the adjustable stock done.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Nsxer:
    Very good Idea.
    Thanks,
    Steve

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

I just can't get my gun to shoot where I am looking. With my head down I am looking at the target at a different angle than when my head is up. With my head down or up, I am looking at the same thing but my gun shoots at a different place.

Could some of you smart people come up with a pressure sensor that will attach to my comb that will activate a small motor under my adjustable rib that would change the POI when my head moves? That, I fear, is my only hope.

Pat Ireland

10. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

The motor is between your ears, sometimes difficult to get operating at the proper speed or perhaps it may be a low voltage issue. I know I can get a short cicuit now and then.

11. senior smoke

One of my friends once said to me" I just don't understand how this can happen, last winter I hung up my shooting vest and I find now that it must of shrunk on the hanger, because it is to small this year. When I took my gun out of the gun case, I now find my poi also changed on my gun too. How can this be?????????
    Steve

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Pat ... you don't need a pressure sensor!

Just go down to your locals Sporting goods store and purchase a large treble hook and some fish line.

Tie the line to the hook and drop the hook down into your shorts ... now tie the line to your ear!

Gar-on-tee that you will lift your head only once!

13. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I have a simpler approach I just try to always be looking where the gun shoots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.