1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to trim gun case foam padding...???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Finally got a ding on my trap gun using a sleve to carry it in my vehicle.

Because of the low protruding recoil pad and custom work on the stock my gun...standard gun cases will not work well.

I'm thinking of getting a case that has the foam liner and trimming the foam to fit my peculiarly configured trap gun..

My question is how do you trim the foam...with what tool/cutter?

I have seen some that have been fitted to guns that look like they were lazer cut...as opposed to whittling with a razor blade or something. But, maybe they are hand trimmed with a razor or something ..???

Can someone enlighten me as to the easiest way to get a really nice fit on one of the trim to fit foam gun case liners?

May even some pics if you have 'em.

Thanks..Stan

2. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

When I bought my Pelican case the dealer told me to mark the foam for my cuts, then roll up the foam and put it in the freezer for 1/2 an hour, then use an electric knife.

David

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Another vote for the electric knife, works great ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. StansCustoms

Electric knife !!...Wow, I would never have guessed.

Thanks guys...

Best regards... Stan

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Quadruple Ditto... Pelican recommended chalk outline and a electric knife... never refrigerated the foam...

Jay

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I saw a video of a guy cutting out the foam for a gun. He first put the items down on the foam and used a sharpe marker. He first pulled the foam out and flipped it over. He reversed the items 180 degree's so when he flipped the foam it was right side up in the way he wanted them. Beside the marking are under the foam so you don't see them. He then used a electric carving knife. ITWORKED GREAT. Faster and cleaner then anything else. I now have one when I need to do another case.

7. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

Get a Starlight case. They are the best made and come with a knife to cut the foam.

8. StansCustoms

Next question...

I have seen some gun cases that had the waffle type foam...and some that have the smooth foam in the lid and the bottom with cutouts for the gun.

In fact, I have seen some cases that I would have bought, if I had acess to the flat foam...Cases with right dimensions etc. BUT.. I really like the look of the flat custom fitted foam best.

If I bought a case with the waffle type foam... is there a place to buy flat dark colored foam (sorta dense)...??

Thanks ...Stan

9. StansCustoms

Oops, cottondoctor...we were posting at the same time, missed yours. I'll look into that too..

Thanks...Stan

10. Auctioneer

Go to a fabric store. The one here in town has foam and you buy what you need. They will cut it to the size as you state.

11. StansCustoms

Auctioneer...Dark colored? I have access to auto upholstery foam...but it's yellow and not real dense..well I guess you can get any density for molded type upholstery apps.

Stan...

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I just use a bread knife (this profile or similar) to trim foam: <center>
    View attachment 203101
    </center>

Keller

13. Auctioneer

Upholstery fabric shops that deal in chairs and sofa refinishing. Not auto fabric but furniture goods. Sorry I should have added that. The one here in town had a good selection.

14. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

What Auctioneer says. Mike.

15. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

If you can't find it local, the link above will ship. Its also a good place to learn a bit about the characteristics of different types of foam.

16. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Stan, These guys are telling you right. When you are thru cutting out the Foam ,Go to Wal-Mart and Buy you WHATEVER Color of Cordura Like Material you like. BUY the Elmer's Spray Adhesive( will not bleed thru bad)Spray Foam (out Of Case) and "tuck" in the cut-outs then Trim Cloth On BACK Side Of Foam. Looks Factory !!!!!Joe joe90t

17. capvan

capvan Active Member

There's a product called "pick and pluck" or something like that. It's already pre-cut into 1/2 inch squares and you pick out where you want the hole. If you leave the hole a little bit small, it will compress when you put the gun in and give you a real nice look. Worked great on my Pelican cases for handguns.

cap

18. Battue

Battue Member

Read this: http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=292695&page=39

19. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Someone told me they used an electric wire like used to cut out model airplane wings. He had a case with no jagged edges on the foam.

20. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The BEST way to do it is with a hot wire table specifically made for cutting foam. It will leave smooth edges on the cutout. Pick-and-pluck sucks compared to properly cut foam.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
padding for a gun case
adhesive foam found in gun cases
foam gun cutouts

gun case foam padding

gun case padding

how to cut 2 inch foam to fit a rifle properly
trim foam for gun
who has foam pad for cases with cut outs for guns