1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to touch up blueing..Help needed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by teleskier, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teleskier

teleskier Member

I have a gun that I would like to touch up the trigger guard and tang. I am not at all familiar with blueing let alone some that might be do it yourself. Can any of you make suggestions? Mike

2. teleskier

teleskier Member

Steve
    I am in Northern California. Eureka area. Mike

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Here is what you need to do the job. Small bottle of instant blue, bottle of rubbing alcohol, 0000 pad of steel wool, liquid dish soap, can of spray lube, and some cue tips.

Use the cue tips and alcohol to degrease the part you want to blue. Pour some of the instant blue into a small cup and dip a small piece of the steel wool pad into it. Apply the instant blue using the steel wool by lightly rubbing it on the part. Keep reapplying until you get the desired coverage. Wash the part with soapy water to neutralize the bluing which is an acid, dry, and then spray with WD40 or G96 lube. HMB

4. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Best cold blue I have used is Van's Instant Blue. Doesn't take off
    original blue and matches good. Not a lot of prep needed - little
    desgreaser and start using. Liquid. Can find on internet.

Doyal

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The areas mentioned are high wear areas, that's why the blue is gone now. Cold blue can look good but will wear off so quick it's not worth the trouble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.