1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to tighten loose stock on BT99 ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by thom, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thom

thom TS Member

During a round this evening, I noticed the stock was a bit loose.
    Searched old threads but still not QUITE sure as to how I can tighten the loose stock.

First, remove the pad using #1 small Phillips screwdriver through slits in pad, right ?
    Next use long slotted screwdriver, blade of which is 3/8 inch or so in width to reach and tighten stock bolt, right ?

Browning parts list diagram shows a slotted stock bolt ( part #100 ), but also lists a 5mm stock wrench....and other posts have mentioned that too. What's THAT about ?
    You don't need a long 5mm hex wrench to do this, do you?

Gun was purchased new about 18 months ago and has a factory adjustable comb.

All assistance will be gratefully appreciated !

Thanks,

~~~~~<'{{><

2. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

Remove the recoil pad and you will find a hole in the stock, there is a screw up in there some require a screw driver bu both of mine require an allen wrench which came with the gun.
    Woody Sullivan

3. ZTWITHE

ZTWITHE Member

Just took the stock off of my newer model 99 last week. Very simple. I didn't need any hex wrench whatsoever just the Philips and LONG flat screwdriver. Mine isn't an adj comb model though, but I don't see why it would make a difference. Good luck, Zach

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

If you need the 5mm hex key you can get a nice long, cushioned T-Handle one from McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com) for less than a third of what most gun supply places charge for the plain, cheap one. I think I paid about $4 for mine.

-Gary

5. Duck

Duck Member

On the older model BT99s (long tang) the trigger guard screwed in the receiver on the front and fastened with a screw to the stock in the rear. Do the new (short tang) models still have the rear screw?. I always removed the rear trigger guard screw first then tightened the stock bolt. Ace Hardware will have a long T-handled allen to fit the stock bolt if so equipped.

6. ZTWITHE

ZTWITHE Member

Duck- they eliminated that on the new short tang models, at least on my white satin. Slotted stock bolt only. -Zach

7. Aulovel5

Aulovel5 TS Member

If he already has the screw driver and just can't get it tight it might be stripped out

8. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

If you have the adjustable comb, you must loosen that and lift it all the way up or out, so you can see down the stock bolt hole. Mark

9. willing

willing Member

I think the factory adj comb model uses a hex wrench, whereas the non-adj uses the regular screwdriver.

Bill

10. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

If you can't tighten the stock thru bolt enough, put a washer over the bolt to effectively shorten its lenmgth. Then you can get it tight enough.

11. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Word of warning, when you do tighten the stock bolt don't over torque it. You will run the risk of the stock cracking at the wrist.

Robert

12. thom

thom TS Member

Thanks for all the advice. I found the 5mm hex wrench in the original box and just finished up the job.......all seems fine now! Following one posted suggestion, I also ordered cushioned T-handle wrenches in 7/64 for the comb and 5mm for the stock bolt for ease in future use.

I appreciate all of those who replied sharing their wisdom and experience with me......

~~~~<'{{><

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bt 99 stock torque

bt-99 stock bolt torque

torque on bt 99 stock bolt