1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to test Perazzi V springs?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by truthseeker, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truthseeker

truthseeker Member

I have 4 V springs for my Perazzi (2 were in the gun when I bought it) there are 2 that are in the Perazzi case.

How can I test them to determine whether or not they are "old" (i.e. is there a certain weight that they will squeeze)?

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

ts, really you can just use your thumb. Try the ones in the trigger now. It should be quite hard to cock the hammer. If it is, try the other one. If either is anywhere near easy, swap it out _and throw it away._ Down the road, if you keep it, you will just be installing a questionable part and you won't remember which one it was anyway. Get another new one and you are fine for emergencies.

Neil

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Neil- From reading, not experience, I have come to a different understanding of leaf springs. I thought they worked at full strength until they broke. I am now asking if my belief is wrong? In the past I tried to make some leaf springs with various results.

Pat Ireland

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Your belief, Pat, while common, is wrong, as will be confirmed by any Perazzi shooter who has actually tried my proposed test and found a weak one.

I'm not even sure that weak means "about to break" since I examined several bad ones with a 10x magnifier and not seen a half-broken one.

There are plenty of them, though, the half-broken ones. When you take a broken one out you see a classic fatigue fracture. There's a large matte-grey area where it's been coming apart for a while, and then a bright small area where it snapped on that last cocking action. The thing is, once it's broken, you can't go back and determine whether it would have recently passed the "weak spring" test, though I sincerely doubt it would have. If I had Magnaflux®, I bet a failing spring would show up as mechanically failing, but just invisibly to the eye, even under magnification.

Neil

5. Gbo44

Gbo44 TS Member

You should check out precision gold springs at precisiongoldtriggers.com I know that they are checked and are much more durable.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Neil- Thanks, I recognize that many common beliefs are based on something other than facts. I do hope that my belief that Belleville washer springs do not get weak after excessive use. If this belief is incorrect, I need to work on my PFS.

Pat Ireland

7. decimamas 54

decimamas 54 Active Member

The only way to test Perazzi V springs is to put them on a special spring tester.When they have a full compression you should read between 19 and 21 Kilos but they are designed to have enough strength for this charge a cartrige even at 14 Kilos.
    Even the flat spring with the time and the use will lose their strength

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

There's certain poundage (30 or 40 something like that) on the spring you can use as a guide line (I forgot what was it like I forgot to buy milk this morning). When it falls below that poundage, you suppose to change it.

I never did, as long as it goes bang I leave it along, when it breaks (once in last 10 years among 8 P-guns), I switch to the other barrel to finish the round after I apologize to my squad mates and promise to buy a better gun next time.

I then change the spring in front the everyone when we're done shooting, By then people would agree that I don't need to buy a better gun after they saw it took less than a minute to put a new spring in.

If I worry about this, I'd buy a coil spring guns.

9. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Gents,

Is it a matter that Perazzi design leaf spring triggers provide much faster lock time than say, Krieghoff, Kolar, or even spring-powered strikers ala Blaser and Browning Cynergy? If so are they so much superior that one has to always have that extra spring and tool with you at all times from day one until they finally break?

This is not a challenge of Perazzi products, I would just like to hear a justification for having that concern lurking in the back of your mind all the time.

Thanks

Larry

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I've had 2 P-guns for 8 years, an MX8 and MX2000. Never broke a spring

11. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Perazzi made factory optional coil springs on detachable trigger groups, for people losing sleeps over this issue, didn't seem very popular.

Now, almost all shotguns needs a gun smith to change flat springs, except Perazzi. And being the most popular shotgun in the competition category, you hear it a lot, not that they break more often.

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I've broken a few. A small inconvenience.

I also carry "o" rings for my 1100's and super x's....

13. harpo_old

harpo_old Guest

I use to work for an engine co. that made injectors, some of the really hard parts would go through a shot peening process to stress relieve them and stop them from failing or cracking in the field just wondering if you could do a process like this on flat springs??

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

$10,000 shotgun, $30 spring???

Change them often.

I used to bead blast all my drag racer engine stuff to help reduce spot failures. I do this to MY leaf springs now.

My thoughts.

Whiz

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Jim Coons was telling me about a Perazzi spring EDM machined..that will have a much longer life.. and made of a much higher grade steel.. hardened before machining and stress relieved.. I've not seen it yet.. but Jim Coons could tell you about it.. He is the EXPERT in spring design and technology...IMHO..

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I shoot about 30,000 rounds a season between two PMxGuns. I change the springs twice a season. I give the old springs away and they use them 'til they break.

17. atexaspete

atexaspete Member

PerazziBigBore,
    Hope you keep us posted on any forthcoming information on these springs. I'd love to be a test case. I am shooting 25-30K rounds a year between practice and competition (sporting clays & FITASC) and probably go through a couple of springs a year. Although I carry a spare trigger, they seem to break when I am in the box at a competition.
    Thanks,
    Mike

18. decimamas 54

decimamas 54 Active Member

You will not resolve the problem of the breakage of Perazzi springs if you make them with a DM because the way to make that type spring has been tried before by a "Big Guns Company."

Because when you put the load on them they loose immediately half of the strength. There is a reason why a forged spring is used and for the moment it is only way to do them, ED cutting is not the best way.

Why do you think some American Companies are now sending to Italy prototype EDM springs to have them remade like mine?

Think about this...

Marcello

19. Gbo44

Gbo44 TS Member

Forging is not the only way to make a spring, sorry

20. Hauser

Hauser Member

Interesting comments.

I'd like to see a graph of a leaf spring set weight over time. I was in the group that thought leaf springs did not weaken but broke so I'd would have expected to see consistent set weights of some magnitude followed by 0.

The last time I broke a leak spring Id shot 30K rounds however I bought the gun used and don't have a clue how many rounds were shot before I purchased it.

The only thing I do with regards to maintaining spring life is removing the trigger and releasing the tension on both springs before I store the gun.

Jerry Hauser

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to change the flat springs in your perazzi

how to change the v-springs in a perazzi

my perazzi mx3 wont cock the hammers when i open it
perazzi test

perazzi v springs

shotgun spring forging