1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to tame a .300 Remington Ultra Mag?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by clayscoach, Aug 23, 2013.

1. clayscoach

clayscoach Member

Suggestions on how to reduce the recoil on a Remington 700 .300 Ultra Mag!? Jon

2. Rlw2

Rlw2 TS Member

I put a muzzle brake on mine and it was a huge help, loud and hard on the ears though, only shoot it with hearing protection on. The other option is to go to really light loads, kind of defeats the purpose of What the gun was designed for though.

3. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

muzzlebreak or load down. Tom

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Or....

5. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Add weight. Add muzzle brake. Use the lightest bullet that will do the job.

Remington makes reduced power loads, but that defeats the purpose of a .300RUM?

If I some how came into the position of a .300RUM and needed to use it, I would Load it down to ~.30/06 levels.

Michael

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Muzzle brakes work wonders except they bring an excessive amount of noise back towards the shooter.

The other thing is to get as much weight on the rifle as you can and still be able to pack the gun to where you want it. Not really practical if you are trying to set the gun up for a high country hunt that involves a lot of hiking.

Option 3 is to put the cannon in the safe and bring out something in a caliber that you actually enjoy shooting. Thats where I'm at right now - my .300 WSM has been benched in favor of a Tikka T3 in .270 Win. There is a lot to be said for the so called 'standard' big game rounds.

7. skeezix

skeezix Member

Muzzle brake.

I bought a .22-250 that is similar to my .300 win mag (both model 70's, but the .22-250 is push feed) The trajectory is pretty similar and the .22-250 has no recoil- and it's much cheaper to shoot than the .300. Practice with the .22-250, varmint with the .22-250. Save the .300 for sighting in and hair.

8. mooster1223

mooster1223 Member

A break does not increase the noise TO THE SHOOTER as much as people lead you to believe. The people next to you will hate you though. There is absolutely no doubt that they are effective though. I run a break on all of my rifles, even down to a .223 for "tactical" shooting.

If you're shooting from a bench, a radial brake (such as the Harrells) works wonders. If shooting prone, the radial brake will throw up too much debris and you'll tire of shooting it early on. From a prone position, get a side discharge unit like the APA little bastard. Most brakes work about the same so, pick one that you think looks pretty...

And, as previously stated, the other effective was to lessen recoil is to limit your projectile weight and keep the velocity down. But, if you end up doing that, why not shoot a .308 winny from the get go?

9. Huntin'Fool

Huntin'Fool Well-Known Member

Put a brake on it I did and mine kicks less then a 308

10. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Muzzle brake all the way and a good pad.

11. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Brown precision fiberglass stock!

Joe

12. kenf

kenf Active Member

Look up Shawn carlock at defensive edge the baffle brake where it's at. Kirby Allen and others make similar style brakes that tame big magnums

13. lwr_

lwr_ Member

Sell it and then buy a 3006 or 270.

14. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Last time I checked a .30-06 will kill anything in North America. What's changed with that caliber? That and the ammo is cheaper and more readily available, not to mention the recoil factor.

Tim

15. Hunter1978

Hunter1978 Member

Yes 30-06 will kill anything in north america so will a .22lr The advantage of the 300 RUM is its flat shooting. You don't really need to fiddle with a rangefinder or guess. I have one for hunting out west. If your shots are under 300 yards like I have hunting whitetails in Wisconsin then I use the 30-06. But I've also used the 300 RUM on a B&C Wyoming moose running at 370 yards with seconds to make the shot. I do not think I would have got the moose with a 30-06. My advice is to limit your practice shooting and/or use a lead sled. I've never felt the recoil shooting at an animal. I think a lot of the problem is in peoples head. If you think it will be terrible it probably will be. I also picked up a 375 RUM for the hell of it. Never shot anything but paper but you know you shot something after firing it!

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

MagnaPort will cut EDM slots in your barrel and reduce recoil by around 15 percent. NO added weight or change in ballistics.

They also have a high tech muzzle brake.

HM

17. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

While I was waiting for my .300RUM to arrive, I considered ways to reduce what I was expecting to be harsh felt recoil. I considered porting but the dealer from whom I bought the gun asked me why I bought a .300 Ultra Mag if I wanted a .300 Winchester Magnum, as that is about how much the RUM's ballistics would be neutered by porting. Other experts in the field agreed so I looked into a muzzle brake but then thought about how clumsy adding another two inches or so to an already long 26" barrel might make the rifle. In the end, I decided to shoot it before doing anything.

I'm glad I did for the rifle isn't hateful to shoot, even off a bench. Yes, you know a gun went off but honestly, it's very tolerable. My rifle is a stainless Remington Model 700 in a factory brown laminated thumbhole stock with a factory-installed Limbsaver recoil pad.

Ed

18. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Shoot a .378 first then shoot your Ultra. No sweat!!

19. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Make sure the gun fits you. If it doesn't it will cause more recoil to be felt. If you have to lift your head off the stock to see through the scope it will kick the snot out of you.

20. scoutmaster

scoutmaster Member

Sell it....

SM

Search tags for this page

brown precision xp100 stock

gracoil remington 700

how to tame recoil on 300 ultra mag

light loads reduce recoil 300 rum

muzzle brake for remington 700 300 rum

reduce recoil on 300 ultra mag

remington ulta mag for sale in greenbay wisconsin