1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to store powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by flchevelleman, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flchevelleman

flchevelleman TS Member

I recentley bought (2 months) a reloader (mec) with eveything to load with.
    A friend came over last night and told me that he would keep the powder in a DRY box. A box with a light on in it?? I live in south Florida and have 70 to 95 % humidithy?? is it important ? it is in my shop in the back of my garage. It is red dot 8 lbs in the plastic jugs. The guy I bought it from had it in his garage too. Like 4 yrs old?? what about the primers? I know not with the powder....
    Thanks, Tim

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Good God, don't put in a box with a light!! Keep it in its plastic jug out of the sun light, and in a dry place. Don't worry about humidity. I've shot Red Dot that was forty years old that was kept in old coffee cans. Store the primers the same way. Wayne

3. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

That guy is trying to burn down his house and possibly your house. The heat from a light bulb could possibly ignite the powder and believe me it burns hot! Do as Wayne said just keep it in its original container and in a dry place with the lid screwed on tight. It will be fine.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Tim, by all means keep the powder in the original plastic bottle that it come in. As said keep lid on tight. This bottle is designed to reduce explosions and damage if it ever goes off. Store your primers in the same box that it come in. With the primers in their little plastic boxes w/ cardboard sleeve over them. I store them in opp. sides of the room as well. I also live in S. Fla. and I do like to keep my reloading stuff in the house in the A/C. I also load in the house as well, so it is easier this way for me. By doing this I have no static problems with my powder and the the plastic bottle. I also remove powder and shot from bottles when done reloading. If you have static problems, you will see the powder flakes sticking to the sides of the powder bottle as the powder level does down when loading. Welcome to the reloading world. Have fun and stay safe. Hope you have a scale!!! Break-em all. JEff

5. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

My neighbor put a light in a dog house a couple of years ago, to keep the dog warm. The dog was smart enough not to go in. Later that afternoon the fire department showed up to put out the fire in the back of the garage. Man, what a Hoot! I still laugh about it.

Don't have the powder or the primers around any heat source.

Ajax

6. dhip

dhip Active Member

same situation here,just getting into reloading,my problem a little different.One place to setup is my basement,,problem,,old house,leaky and damp at times,plus I,m an aquarist and have several tanks set up there.Other location,would be in a shed with my fishing stuff,only problem there is NO Heat for winter months.
    Any suggestions?

7. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I keep my powder and primers in my shed year round. The only time there is heat is when I am loading. In the summer I run the air only when I am loading. I have had no problems in the 20 years I have done that.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I store powder in the plastic jugs it comes in, in my powder hopper or in loaded shells. Do not store it in your attic during the summer. I also would not store powder outside without cover or in a wood box with a light inside the box.

Pat Ireland

9. maka

maka Member

Ship it to me. I will gladly store it in my reloaded shells. If they all go bang latter I will let you know.

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Tim,

I knew a few shooters who went to extrodinary lengths to keep their powder dry and cool. This was back in the days when powder came in cardboard barrels. This is now a non-issue because of the plastic jugs.

I still have a couple of those cardboard barrels. They housed Red Dot when it came from Hercules. I just keep a couple of hundred old style AA's in them these days.

ss

11. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I store my powder and primers in old, non-working refrigerators. The magnetic door seal is the weak seal required for powder storage, and the insulation moderates the temperature swings. I put desiccant bags in with the powder and primers to absorb moisture. Primers are stored separately from the powder. These storage refrigerators are located in an insulated building as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.