1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

how to store a O/U Beretta 682X

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by moose!!!, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moose!!!

moose!!! Member

I was readind a Thread about the inertia triggers and one of the relpys said before he cased his gun he fired both triggers. should the triggers be fired before I case the gun I want to make sure I am doing the correct process Thanks for your input on this subject

2. BD457

BD457 Member

I read that in the owners manual that the triggers should be fired and the lever returned to the center position for storage.

3. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

Buy a pair of wooly snap caps offered here on ts.com, oil them snap the triggers. I just bought several sets, can't find the thread though.

4. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

As suggested, buy a good pair of snap caps put them in the barrels and drop both hammers; you can do this by pulling the trigger for the first barrel and the switch the selector to the second barrel and pull the trigger. Don't forget to move the selector back over to the first barrel. The other way is pull the trigger on the first barrel and thump the stock to move the inertia block so you can pull the trigger to drop the second hammer.

Remember never put a hot gun in the a gun case or safe, wait until it cools down. A hot gun placed in or case or safe will sweat causing condensation which leads to rust, this seems to be more of a problem with break open guns. Many times owners are surprised to see rust when their stock is removed.

Surfer

5. moose!!!

moose!!! Member

Thanks everyone for the help and advise. You have saved me a costly repair job down the road. This is just like setting around the table at the gun club asking a question. Thannks again>>

6. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

before thanking everyone, consider that those coil hammer springs are under partial compression even with the hammers down (not full compression but still compressed). Now consider the ejector springs - they are under full compression all the time. Do you think that makes them fail?? When is the last time you changed an ejector spring??

When is the last time you changed a coil spring on your truck/car?? Same thing, just bigger. do you jack your vehicle up to take the weight off those springs??

7. Gary Waalkes

so please tell me why dropping those hammers is so important and how long doing so will extend the lifetime of those springs?? Do you even know what the lifetime of those springs is??

8. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Dropping the hammers will do no good on the Beretta 680 series. It is not the spring that fails, it is the hammer spring guide that breaks where the adjustment nut attaches.

You certainly do not want to transport/ship a uncocked receiver without a stock attached. You will end up with a receiver and a pile of parts. The cocked hammers keep the entire train of trigger parts under tension so the pins will not vibrate loose.

Michael Goines

9. Gary Waalkes

still looking for someone who has a rational reason for dropping the hammers and can explain why don't we have to remove the ejector spring or firing pin return springs?? They are under compression too.

10. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

All springs fatigue over time and will loose their original compression/ expansion rates. The rate of degradation depends material grade, wire size, tempering and cycle life. As a coil spring degrades it looses engergy becoming less powerful slowing expansion speed as part of the process. A spring held in maximum compression will degrade faster than one that's relaxed, how much faster is open for discussion, coil springs are unlike leaf springs who fail outright due to fatigue

In the quest to maintain consistent hammer lock times, the concept of snap caps and dropping hammers is practiced as a way to extend maximum spring rates.

I have owned several Beretta 680 series guns and have found hammer springs do degrade over time requiring replacement to maintain crisp triggers and hammer drops. The ejector springs seem to degrade at a faster rate the the hammer springs.

I use snap caps in all my guns regardless of spring type. Do they extend spring life, I think so.

Surfer

11. roger stoddard

roger stoddard TS Member

How could anyone sleep at night knowing those springs are compressed for no reason? I think of people with snowplows on pickup trucks leaving their plow blade up all summer, putting a load on their front springs for no reason. If you dry fire with snap caps, then remove the forearm, then take the barrel off, then press the pin and release the top lever, all your springs are released as much as possible. Roger

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The best thing about this thread is you have the right to do what ever you want to your gun. If you feel better about the springs being decompressed, now you have information how to do so. If you feel as some do on their posts that it is not neccesary to do so, then by all means do not do it. Simple as that. Jon

13. moose!!!

moose!!! Member

I am very sorry I did not want to start a huge debate but, thanks for all your views and opinions. This really is like setting around the table at the gun club. This is great, kind of miss the pouting and stomping off all pi$$ed off Thanks again for all the non bias info

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.