1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to stop rollovers on web pages

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

How can I kill the rollovers on web pages where if my cursor is merely rolled across a highlighted word it opens a (whatever) that's connected to that word? Is this a function I can control from my computer?

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Nope! Just avoid rolling over them.

3. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Are you referring to popups? They can be controlled.

4. Charles.F.Phillips

Charles.F.Phillips TS Member

I don't think he is. Popups are new browser windows. Rollovers are div elements that are controlled by JavaScript and triggered by the onMouseOver event of a picture or link. Turning JavaScript off will stop most rollovers, but it will also make your browser dysfunctional on many websites...

R/s,<br />
    Charlie
    (Sr. Software Developer)

"The Dude abides..."

5. 221

Looks like that's what he needs to do as I don't have that problem with ours. That's why I asked.

6. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

OK, My next question is why does my computer refresh back to the top of of TS.Com while I'm reading a post. Happens each time I open a thread to read.

Big Jack

7. 221

Go to Change Passwords and Settings and you can change your TS parameters.

"BE NICE"

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Fox News.com drives me crazy with those things. I wrote and told them of my disgust.

9. 221

Are you talking about that little preview box that shows on some links? Some forums have that so you can see what its about before you click on it.

Can that not be shut off on your computer? It looks similar to whatever highlights a link.

"BE NICE"

10. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

No. These are highlighted words that by merely rolling your cursor over them as you scroll down the page, open a reference box that sits right in the middle of the text you are trying to read. Very annoying.

11. 221

I see.....like the Scottrade box in the middle of fox.com......I try to steer around them.....Weather.com will really drive you nuts. But I live in Tornado land....

12. THALL

THALL Member

Being somewhat computer illiterate, how do you turn off JavaScript? Thanks. Tim Hall

13. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

wireguy...

I opened the Fox News web site for today, 10/13, and cursored over the entire page. My cursor pointed at many links but none of them opened by simply hovering the cursor over them.

Would you please be describe specifically a word or a link on any page that you can open simply by pointing the cursor at it? I vaguely remember some plug-ins years ago that would allow that to happen but can't remember details. I'm not familiar with this function existing in either IE, Firefox, Safari or Chrome unless you have an infection that is causing the behavior.

Carol Lister

14. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Carol- go to this link...

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=112762

Every word in blue will have a pop-up.

15. THALL

THALL Member

I was able to turn mine off (I use firefox to access the internet) by using the tools menu, options, content & then click the box to handle. Makes using some of the websites much more pleasurable. Tim Hall

16. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Carol, not every page on FOX has them. They are often in the stories in the list at the bottom of the home page. I'm still looking for somewhere this is controlled from within my settings.

My XP tools menu has nothing. It might be somewhere in the control panel stuff.

17. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

GunDr...

I don't see any words in blue on the page you posted with any of 5 browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera) on any of 3 machines. There is either a configuration setting I'm not familiar with, an infection or a browser plug-in might be causing what you see. Which operating system and browser are you using?

One of our technicians offers that it could be a function of one of the common tool bars that you may have installed intentionally or accidentally.

THALL...

Your description "...click the box to handle..." isn't clear. Which box did you check/uncheck: <center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

Carol Lister

18. Guard Rail

Guard Rail TS Member

If you click the back to trap discussion link after reading a post, it will take you to the top of the list. If you hit the back button on your mouse or your browser it will take you back to where you were on the list. I don't know what to do about those rollovers, they drive me crazy too.

BK

19. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

EE...

I found no underlined words in the text but I did play with the link box on the right side of the page: <center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

When I hovered the cursor over the first headline, I got a yellow balloon (or pop-up if you like) containing a vignette of the article. When I sourced the code for that section of the web page, I found:

<blockquote>onmouseover="h 1E ( this, '< br / >\nABC News :< br / >\n& ;#_8220 ;What a pro-active way to be able to help the economy and change the culture in this country around animals,& ; #_8221; Robert Davi, a veteran actor (& ; #_8221;The Goonies,& amp; #_8221; & amp; #8220; Die Hard,& ;#_8221; & ;#_8220;License to Kill& ;#_8221;) who was a main force behind the bill...</blockquote>

While it may look like Greek, the important part is the first word that I've colored: "onmouseover". This is a command written into the coding that causes the text that follows it to be displayed in a balloon when the cursor is paused over the headline. If you can pick out the English in the code you'll recognize it as the text that appears in the balloon when the cursor exposes it.

In short, the appearance of the balloon is written into the code of the page. It's the way the page is supposed to work. You can eliminate the balloons by disabling javascript in your browser.

To disable JScript in Firefox follow: Tools >> Options >> Content tab >> uncheck "Enable Javascript"

To disable JScript in IE follow: Tools (or Control Panel) >> Internet Options >> Security tab >> "Custom Level" button >> Scroll down to "Scripting" in the menu >> click the "Disable" radio button

In Google Chrome, enabling/disabling JScript requires an act of Congress and a modification of the User Profile directory.

Be aware that global disabling of JScript will not only disable the balloons but will also disable some functions on pages that use JScript to render. You can select "Prompt" as an option in IE but THOSE popups can become annoying, too.

Carol Lister

20. THALL

THALL Member

Good Afternoon Carol Lister:

Sorry for the confusion, I clicked on the box to enable (in my case disable) the JavaScript. This deactivated the "rollover" words of the articles I was reading on a particular website. Tim Hall

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

disable rollovers on web pages