1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to stop flames shootin out of a 1100 Rem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John S., Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John S.

John S. TS Member

Just started shooting a 1100 remington. Any suggestion on how to stop gas flames shooting out of the side of the receiver. The load I am using is Red Dot, 18 grains, Rem Primer, TGT 12 Wad, 1200fps. 1oz.
    Thanks for any help.

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

The only way is stop useing powder .

3. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

If you're shooting in cold weather you might try using a hotter primer. I shoot an 1100 and have chosen to use Win 209's of Fed 209's in all my loads. It seems to reduce, if not eliminate the flaming ejection port issue. I'm left handed, so it can be very distracting.

I don't use Red Dot, so I can't help you there. I typically use Clays or Clay Dot, in the 17 gr. range.

Kip

4. Jim e

Jim e TS Member

You Might Try A Hotter Primer. win.Or Fed.

5. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I don't notice the flames very often. When I do I think it's kind of cool. Especially in the dark. On a cold day it will provide a brief flash of warmth on your trigger hand. I use clays powder.

6. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

This is a very common thing. I would not call it a problem though. It's just more noticeable at night. The Red Dot powder is not the issue. I agree with Kip and Jim on the hotter primers. Try not to think about it. If the flash is a big arc type flash than that's a different issue.

7. backfenceata

backfenceata TS Member

Flash is no fun, check your recoil spring(cylcle spring, long nasty spring that goes down thru the stock) probably week causing your bolt speed to be too fast, allowing unburned gases to escape out the side. Clays with 209 win primers should not flash any , even after dark !! Make sure that your gas ports have not been drilled out to a larger size (very common modification that was done to shoot light 1 oz shells but not so good for say 1200fps )

Also you can simply shoot with out the "o"ring, If you keep your 1100 clean and well lubed you will not have any problems, unless you shoot a very light shell.

This FREE advise comes with a double your money back warranty(LOL)

Kirk

8. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Only shoot during the day..less of a distraction..ALL autos will spit alittle bit of flame out during the ejection cycle..I have had 1100s, 1187's, 391's and a SX2..all the same...don't care for the right angle blue flame special?? go get a break open..lb

9. rebelace

rebelace TS Member

change wads remington will do that try winchester worked for me i use federals with 12s3 solo 1250 fed209A no problem in remington hulls i use winchester wad its in the book remington wads are to light of pressure believe me it works i shoot a NCP391 berreta

10. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Have you tried factory ammo?

11. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

I had the same problem occasionally with several of my 1100's, using Clays, STS w/Fig 8's, Win & Fiocchi primers, also with Federal Top Guns, Estates and Wallys with Clays, CB 12S0 wads, same primers. Not often but when it did, very noticeable, although I shoot left-handed with LH 1100's, just disconcerting. It all went away when the only thing I changed was from Clays to Promo powder, have had no more flames since. Coincidence?? Don't know but that's what happened to me. I think lower pressure loads (one oz. in large hulls) could contribute, especially in cooler weather. Firm crimps and warmer primers could help.

Cheers

Larry A.

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If the gun is old and potentially worn, the lug indent may not be holding the bolt long enough. If it is severly rounded off, the bolt will start rearward too soon.

13. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Here's a SURE CURE. Better than snake oil. STOP USING REMINGTON primers at night. Use Federal 209 A----Problem solved. I speak from experience. I like the Remington primers, but only in the day time.
    I'll go better than the previous gentleman. I'll triple your expenditure if this doesn't work.
    Joe Jordan

14. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

LAST YEAR WE SHOT RIO'S 2/34 DR 1 OZ THRU A NEW 391 W/ A SHEL CATCHER AND THEN SHOT ANNIE OAKLEY LDS 11/4 OZ VERY HOT RELOADS- BOTH ALMOST CINGHED YOUR EYEBROWS OFF!!
    ACCIDENTLY SWITCHED TO ESTATES AND HAVE NEVER SEEN THE SAME "FLARE" PROBLEM-
    REMMINGTON GUNCLUB- I HAVENT HAD THAT FLARE EITHER?

15. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

I found flaming to be a lot worse with Green Dot than with Red Dot in my 1100 Trap. My experience was that it never happened during the heat of the day but started very late in the day when the humidity increased. Not exactly a scientific explanation but that is what I experienced.

16. abiezer

abiezer Guest

What JJJ said.......
    I speak from experience as well.
    I've also seen this phenomena from Rio's.
    You don't want a fireball under he lights,not good,very distracting.

17. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

JJJ has it right! Even with slow-burning PB powder, I get no flames but did with Remington 209s.

Ed

18. shadow

shadow Active Member

Trade 1100 for a BT-99. Problem solved.

19. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Dark glasses work for me (LOL). They really flash with heavy loads of slow powder shot at night during turkey shoots. The muzzle lights up too!

Ed Ward

20. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

fire extinguisher? lol had to

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.