1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

How to stop adjustable butt plate from slipping

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beretta687EELL, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Active Member

The ones that I have, have sand paper between the plates and they take a pretty good torque. Bill Malcolm
  2. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Anything that can be adjusted can become unadjusted.
  3. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

The best and easiest fix is to get some of the product used on steps to make them non slip. It's like very coarse sand paper and have adhesive backing. Just cut out what you need to fit the stock end of the adjuster, make any needed holes or slots and peel and stick it on. Put your adjuster back together and it will stay put for a long time and you will have extra product left over if you ever have to do it over.

I find it at Ace or Home depot type stores.
  4. Ed Y

Ed Y Active Member

I never saw a sandpaper used but 100 Straight and others supply a sticky backed rubber to install between plates at the time of installation. The product is available at Tru-Value and Ace hardware stores.

Ed Yanchok
  5. dward

dward TS Member

I've had a Jones adjuster on my mx8 for years and it doesn't have the stick on rubber tread material........but it has enough screws to tighten it down that it doesn't slip. I bought a 100 straight adjuster with only one lock down screw and after getting it installed (without putting the rubber tread material on) it wouldn't stay put.

As my Jones adjuster didn't have the material I didn't initially know what that material that came with the adjuster was for (could have had some installation instructions for a simple Swede like me). But once I put the stick on tread material on the recoil pad side of the adjuster, it locked down tighter than old Jim W holds onto his two sided coin!!!!
  6. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Active Member

Ed, The last one I had done was at the last Grand in Ohio and it was done by Todd Nelson. It feels like sand paper, but perhaps it is some other product. Bill Malcolm
  7. skeet_man

skeet_man Active Member

Once you're happy with where the pad is, drill through both places and drive a roll pin in. You can do two if you really want to, but one should be sufficient.
  8. stockguy

stockguy Member

On the buttplates I manufactured and installed, I used 3M Anti Skid material. No one I know of uses sandpaper - it kinda looks like it but it is actually adhesive backed AntiSkid material. I liked the 3M product because the strong adhesive didn't allow the material to slip. I liked the black sandpaper-looking material better than the grayish material that was a bit more rubbery. Stays put better.

Greg
  9. philk

philk Member

What we used to call skateboard tape.
  10. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Active Member

I use the stick on anti skid that they use on bath tub bottoms put the rest in the tub haven't slipped yet!!

PS I know I should not have said that it is only like asking for trouble
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.